Formal Night & Getting Dress Up ?

Geriatric Prom?

On the other hand, others look at it completely different . . . .

The adults are those that dress appropriately on formal night while the little children (of all ages) frolic around in their play clothes singing "I don't wanna grow up" in their Neverland fantasy world.

We actually "dress for dinner" every night of the cruise. Formal nights, more dressy; DH always wears tux or suit. We do it because we like the tradition, we like feeling good about the way we look, and it fits the venue of the MDR.

It's our choice.

Teddie

Absolutely agree. We dress formally every evening and love it!

We used to dress up when we were new to cruising, but now we prefer to be comfortable and not bring the extra luggage. DH & I always take one nice (business casual) outfit, nothing formal for sure. We prefer shorts & t-shirts. It's your vacation, you paid a lot of money so it's your decision as to how dressy (or not) you go. Now, if we are traveling with a group and if others wanted formal we would probably get a little more dressy than usual. But, for just the two of us we do not find it necessary.

:) Kim

We follow the suggested attire. On our last cruise which was to the Med, I was stressed about overweight luggage so we opted out of formal nights and ate in the buffet on formal nights. I wore a maxi dress and my husband and son wore khakis and a polo shirt. It worked out fine but I really missed the dining room. When we sail on Quantum, we are going all out..me in gowns and husbands and 2 sons will be dressed to the nines. We won't have to worry about flights so that is a factor.

Geriatric Prom?

Well,

I think I find this a bit sad, even though I am not yet "geriatric".

I say this, because if I saw my parents or grandparents dressed to the nines for a special occasion, I would most definitely smile. Wouldn't you?

:)

Teddie

We also dress up every night and then extra on the formal nights. We do it because we like it to feel special as we do not get much chance to dress up with hectic lifestyles at home. We feel comfortable in what we wear which is important.

We are taking our kids on their first cruise next year and they are already excited about dressing up after seeing our photos :)

I have a question for those who say that it is their vacation and they shouldn't have to dress up to the standards of the suggested guidelines. Why do you cruise on a line that has formal nights then? There are plenty of cruise lines that do not do formal nights at all. Why not cruise on them?

I have a question for those who say that it is their vacation and they shouldn't have to dress up to the standards of the suggested guidelines. Why do you cruise on a line that has formal nights then? There are plenty of cruise lines that do not do formal nights at all. Why not cruise on them?

We've always dressed for formal nights. I think it is rather silly to ask someone why they don't cruise elsewhere because of suggested dress on one or two nights of their cruise? Is the only reason you cruise Royal Caribbean because they have formal nights?

IMO formal nights in the Med or Europe are a totally different animal then in the Caribbean.

I assume you mean more formal.

If so, I disagree. We have cruised the Med three times, the Baltic and the British Isles & Norwegian Fjords. They were no more formal than the Caribbean cruises. In fact I think cruises out of San Juan have been amongst the most formal we have been on. The three trans Panama Canal cruises have been the most formal. The least formal was a trans Atlantic, Santos, Brazil to Lisbon, Portugal.

Viking River Cruises are also non-formal. Yes, you dress for dinner, but not like prom.

I find it disappointing that so many feel they are unwelcome in the MDR if they don't adhere to gowns and tuxedos. Formal nights are used to upsell pictures and spa appointments....As someone said -- it's a theme night, not mandatory. Suggested... but not all will and not right to demand everyone follow suit.

It's not Downton Abbey.

Edited by Pebbles468

We don't dress up on formal night...but we also avoid the MDR and book Chops and Gioviannis on formal night. We cruise a line that has formal nights because we enjoy the overall product. Formal night is a small part of the overall cruise experience for some of us... and easily avoided.

The question could easily be reversed for someone that enjoys formal night...why don't you cruise a line that enforces formal night;)

Maybe because we like just about everything else???

I'm almost reluctant to make this analogy, but what the heck....

It's a bit like religion.....I don't agree with every single thing in my religion, but it comes the closest of any to what I do believe....

So I'd say that, although we love cruising, there is something about every cruise line that we don't like....so we choose the line that has the most things we like. And we ignore or avoid the rest.

We've always dressed for formal nights. I think it is rather silly to ask someone why they don't cruise elsewhere because of suggested dress on one or two nights of their cruise? Is the only reason you cruise Royal Caribbean because they have formal nights?

We do too. Agree. Good point.

Edited by davekathy

Maybe because we like just about everything else???

I'm almost reluctant to make this analogy, but what the heck....

It's a bit like religion.....I don't agree with every single thing in my religion, but it comes the closest of any to what I do believe....

So I'd say that, although we love cruising, there is something about every cruise line that we don't like....so we choose the line that has the most things we like. And we ignore or avoid the rest.

Completely agree. The "if you don't like this one specific thing about a cruise line then sail another line" mentality is becoming tiresome. There is plenty of room for all of us, and our differing opinions on a ship!

We actually "dress for dinner" every night of the cruise. Formal nights, more dressy; DH always wears tux or suit. We do it because we like the tradition, we like feeling good about the way we look, and it fits the venue of the MDR.

It's our choice.

Teddie

Same here we enjoy dressing up every night also, and dressing up in gown or after five evening attire for me & DH loves his tux. He has several different styles of shirts and vest with matching bow ties. Like you it's our choice. I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed.

Completely agree. The "if you don't like this one specific thing about a cruise line then sail another line" mentality is becoming tiresome. There is plenty of room for all of us, and our differing opinions on a ship!

Well said!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Geriatric Prom?

On the other hand, others look at it completely different . . . .

The adults are those that dress appropriately on formal night while the little children (of all ages) frolic around in their play clothes singing "I don't wanna grow up" in their Neverland fantasy world.

Name calling... Now that's the way to be taken seriously. Like it or not, the formal theme night is dying a slow death, and good riddance.

On the other hand, if you like to dress up so much, why don't you cruise on lines that are strictly formal? The knife cuts both ways Sunshine.

Same here we enjoy dressing up every night also, and dressing up in gown or after five evening attire for me & DH loves his tux. He has several different styles of shirts and vest with matching bow ties. Like you it's our choice. I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed.

Define "underdressed". By who's standards?

.................I have, in the past, worn a suit at my wife's request. She will wear a nicer dress (not a ball gown) to match that. That may happen again, but never on anything less than a weeklong cruise. A 3-6 night cruise gets the standard uniform. A longer one, we will negotiate. I dress up several times a week... and I hate it. I don't need to impress people at The Geriatric Prom® or anything. It's fine for others, but I see no point in it at all.

Then why not just leave it at that rather than having to assign some demaning term to it?

BTW, I didn't see any response by anyone saying they were dressing to impress anyone.;) They said things like, we just enjoy dressing up, it's the only chance we get, etc.