Who can tell me about seasick patches?

pompeii

I cannot seem to find the ginger tablets. I have seen a recommendation to get the caplets with liquid inside, instead of powder, but all i can find is "ginger gum." Which i got at Walgreens. But i would like to find the caplets. Any suggestions?:confused:

Check Amazon for Sailors Secret Premium Ginger. I've used it before and it works quite well. It's not the liquid capsule but is the powder in capsule form.

my aunt had symptoms of a stroke while using the scop patch. It's used medically to dry up secretions especially in Hospice care. It's not a great drug and I wouldn't recommend it. The ship physicians told us that they would never recommend it due to the significant side effects especially in older population. I agree to take the non drowsy Bonine at bedtime and hope it helps.

A woman in my officer used the patch for a 10 day cruise. She said it worked well on the cruise, but after she got back home and was no longer wearing a patch she suffered a horrible case of vomiting. Her doctor said it was rebound vomiting from coming off the patch and that it wasn't uncommon.

I use Bonine, one pill at night, and a second if it gets rough. And I always have some GinGins ginger candy in my pocket, in case I get a little breakthrough queasiness.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I use a 3 prong approach....1) sea bands: I just put them on and keep them on. I am not sure whether they are doing anything (really), but i haven't been sick since I have used them. 2) Ginger: I purchase mine a WalMart or any drug store (capsules). They are good/safe to take even if you are having stomach issues without being seasick. I will take mine throughout the day. I am not sure the mg's of them....but I follow what it says on the bottle. 3) I also use the non-sleepy bonnine (it does make me sleepy). I take it in the evenings except the first day. I start the couple hours before I get on the ship. I know my excitement level will not let me get "too tired". Then, if I know it will be rough seas, then I will take them in the evenings.

This approach, along with making sure I am not feeling hungry, seems to be working and I haven't been seasick in years :D

I cannot seem to find the ginger tablets. I have seen a recommendation to get the caplets with liquid inside, instead of powder, but all i can find is "ginger gum." Which i got at Walgreens. But i would like to find the caplets. Any suggestions?:confused:

After suffering negative side effects from sea sick pills and patches, my late wife had excellent results with ginger capsules. We purchased them at a local GNC store.

She started taking them 2 or 3 days prior to the cruise.

BTW - a pharmacy employee told me the only difference between sea sick pills and patches is the delivery.

After suffering negative side effects from sea sick pills and patches, my late wife had excellent results with ginger capsules. We purchased them at a local GNC store.

She started taking them 2 or 3 days prior to the cruise.

BTW - a pharmacy employee told me the only difference between sea sick pills and patches is the delivery.

That's not correct. The patches are scopalomine, and Dramamine is "dimenhydrinate". Bonine is meclizine.

For those who use Bonine, you can buy Rugby brand meclizene in bottles of 100 in most pharmacies or "big box" stores. It comes in 25mg or 12 1/2mg and is much less costly than Bonine. Same chemical and is just as effective as Bonine. The suggestion to take it before bedtime helps overcome the problems that some people have with drowsiness.

For those in the US - if you have a SAMs club -go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for a bottle of meclizine - the generic of Bonine. $5 for a bottle of 200! I have never been drowsy with it at all. Now Dramamine - even the less drowsy- it is a great sleeping pill! Ginger capsules are available in the vitamin section at CVS or Walmart. I am still on my first bottle of meclizine! Works like a charm!

Edited by GweninTX

The patch has been available over the counter, IN CANADA, for decades. In the US, it is by prescription only. Note that the poster is from Ontario.

Since those of us who use the CC version of TapaTalk do not see anyone's location there is no way for us to "note" their location. :rolleyes: Thus it's something that should be written when posting something particularly when it's valid in CANADA & not in the US where probably the majority of CC members reside. :rolleyes:

Now Dramamine - even the less drowsy- it is a great sleeping pill!

Hi Gwen...do you take 12.5 mg or 25 mg of meclizine HCI? The reason I ask is that Dramamine Less Drowsy's active ingredient is 25 mg of meclizine HCI so could it be the larger 25 mg dose that makes you sleepy.

http://dramamine.com/products/less%20drowsy.aspx

I get carsick on winding roads. I was on a fishing boat once and it was the most horrible 4 hours imaginable. When my wife finally talked me into cruising she tried to tell me I wouldn't feel motion on a ship that size. HAH! First night out of SF we hit majorly rough seas. The cabin was moving all directions at once. The people at breakfast the next morning were staggering all over the ship. We hit waves that made the ship boom loudly and shudder.

Fortunately I didn't trust my wife's noob opinions on ship motion. I got patches from the doctor and I didn't experience even a single moment of seasickness. I'm a total believer. I put that little band-aid looking patch behind my ear and I'm good to go. I had no ill effects at all. Unlike another poster here I found I had to be careful in the shower because I washed the first patch off during my first shower. I just had to remember it was there and be less vigorous when showering.

Only two cruises so far (10 day and 15 day) but I will never cruise without the patch. They aren't cheap but my insurance pays the majority of the cost. Even if I had to pay full price they would be worth it to me. Without the patch I couldn't cruise and, once my wife had finally dragged me onto the first cruise I couldn't wait to get back on a ship. I'm definitely hooked and it's only possible because of that little patch.

I feel sick just reading this thread. I use the patch and it really works for me. Once my patch came off in Hawaii and I didn't realize it. DH and were walking to our cabin and I started feeling ill. Got to the cabin and we decided to double up on the patch and found it gone. Reapplied and went to bed for an hour and felt great again.

I do suffer from a strange side effect. After my cruise, when I remove the patch or if I leave it on and it runs out, I feel sick for about 24 hours. Happens every time. I always wait until I am home before I stop usage so I can go to bed. I do have severe motion sickness.

I feel sick just reading this thread. I use the patch and it really works for me. Once my patch came off in Hawaii and I didn't realize it. DH and were walking to our cabin and I started feeling ill. Got to the cabin and we decided to double up on the patch and found it gone. Reapplied and went to bed for an hour and felt great again.

I do suffer from a strange side effect. After my cruise, when I remove the patch or if I leave it on and it runs out, I feel sick for about 24 hours. Happens every time. I always wait until I am home before I stop usage so I can go to bed. I do have severe motion sickness.

I would definitely not recommend "doubling up" on the patch. One guy I knew who got them in Canada, where they come in packs of two patches, did the manly thing and didn't read the instructions and put both patches on at the same time. He was hallucinating for several hours.

scopolomine used to be used for "twilight sleep" anesthesia many years ago. Not a great drug but does serve a purpose. I would try the other suggestions and if all else fails, give the transderm scop patches a try. Be mindful though of some of the side effects and remove immediately and wash with soap and water if you experience any. Good luck.

scopolomine used to be used for "twilight sleep" anesthesia many years ago. Not a great drug but does serve a purpose. I would try the other suggestions and if all else fails, give the transderm scop patches a try. Be mindful though of some of the side effects and remove immediately and wash with soap and water if you experience any. Good luck.

There can also be significant problems with scop transderm if you don't follow instructions carefully. If for some reason the patch comes off (for example, in the shower) do not place a new patch directly over the old spot. This can cause an overdose that can make you very sick.

This happened to my SO on an Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago. The patch came off and she replaced it with a new one and became quite ill. When we talked with the medical officer he said that this has happened many times when people replace the patch early. If it comes off, use Bonine or some other oral medicine until the full-time has passed for the original patch. Only then can you place another patch on yourself.

My DD is worried about being sick for our upcoming cruise. She didn't want to get the "patch".

I bought Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's and an all natural product called MotionEaze, that has no drowsiness or side effects. It gets good reviews online.

As a back up, I bought Dramamine non drowsy. I'm hoping she doesn't need anything.

Hi Gwen...do you take 12.5 mg or 25 mg of meclizine HCI? The reason I ask is that Dramamine Less Drowsy's active ingredient is 25 mg of meclizine HCI so could it be the larger 25 mg dose that makes you sleepy.

http://dramamine.com/products/less%20drowsy.aspx

Mine are 25 Mg and are scored so you could easily cut in half. Dosage says you can take 2, but one has always done the trick for me. If they made you drowsy, you could cut In Half and try again. It is such a bargain from the pharmacist and you have to ask, but do not require prescription.

My DH has good luck with the patch and has no side effects. I, on the other hand, had bizarre side effects with the patch. The first and only time I wore the patch we were cruising with 7 other people and we only knew 1 of them prior to the cruise. The patch made me feel totally high, and I said some strange (and later, embarrassing) things to our cruising companions. I also had a loss of short-term memory and was disoriented. The only thing I could figure that might be causing those symptoms was the patch. So I took off the patch and the symptoms disappeared.

The wrist bands are not effective at all for me. "Non-drowsy" Bonine works well for me for seasickness but makes me sleepy (can't believe they label it as "non-drowsy"). I need to find another remedy other than this.

Are ginger capsules effective alone, or is it better to use them in conjunction with another method?

I've noticed that on all of our cruises, our bed was placed so that we were cruising backwards. That motion really bothers me. Has anyone requested to have the bed placement switched?

"Non-drowsy" Bonine works well for me for seasickness but makes me sleepy (can't believe they label it as "non-drowsy").

I've noticed that on all of our cruises, our bed was placed so that we were cruising backwards. That motion really bothers me. Has anyone requested to have the bed placement switched?

Were you taking 25 mg of meclizine, Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy? If so you might try a 12.5 mg dosage & take before sleeping.

The direction of the beds cannot be changed because of the cabin's layout.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I am extremely prone to severe motion sickness and have used the patch since my first cruise 25 years ago. I have used them on cruises as short as 4 days and as long as 19 days with absolutely no side effects. I apply the first patch the morning of embarkation and change it every three days as directed. It is important to alternate sides each time you change the patch (in the directions). Good luck!

Unless one has to use the patch because other option don't work, the patch probably isn't worth the serious serious side-effects.

I have had luck with Sea-Band Ginger Gum. It is all natural with no side effects. (http://www.sea-band.com) is on the box. Two pieces of gum equal 50 mg of ginger oil. Mine were purchased in Florida. I carry them and chew one if I start to get "light" headed. Also, when sushi is available on board, get a cupful of shredded ginger and put it in your refrig to settle your stomach if needed.

Thanks to everyone who is posting with their experiences. It seems lots of people are affected by mal de mer! I'll be sure to bring along some ginger, probably in both capsule and gum form or maybe crystallized, along with my sea bands and Bonine (half-tab at night and only if I have to.) I think I'll still ask the doc about the patches but I'm not sure I'll try them. I see lots of them onboard, so they must work and not pose any problems for a lot of people. The side effects just sound so scary!

Thanks to everyone who is posting with their experiences. It seems lots of people are affected by mal de mer! I'll be sure to bring along some ginger, probably in both capsule and gum form or maybe crystallized, along with my sea bands and Bonine (half-tab at night and only if I have to.) I think I'll still ask the doc about the patches but I'm not sure I'll try them. I see lots of them onboard, so they must work and not pose any problems for a lot of people. The side effects just sound so scary!

If you're okay taking a generic version of Bonine (Meclizine HCI) they're a small fraction of the cost of brand name options.