The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

Contract?

Really?

Well, if you feel Celebrity breached a contract, perhaps you should sue them.

The fact is the entire Captain's Club program is extended solely as a voluntary premium by Celebrity. It's 100% clear to anyone capable of reading that the program could be modified at any time, without any prior notice.

Harris

Denver, CO

OMG, I must have forgotten to sign my contract for the free items that Celebrity is rewarding their customers with.

Programs, your cruise, etc., can all be changed at the drop of the hat, but I agree with you, if someone feels they have breached their contract with them, they should sue. I'm sure they will be just as successful as those that have sued because a port was missed, a cruise was chartered out from under them or their cruise was shortened or cancelled because of a problem. Good luck to all of youm you will need it along with a lot of $$$$'S.

Edited by NLH Arizona

OMG, I must have forgotten to sign my contract for the free items that Celebrity is rewarding their customers with.

Too bad some still have to resort to sarcasm. Perhaps the only 'valid' opinion is one that agrees with yours?

Edited by dobes3kh

So if it's not a contract, then what is it? As someone else has written during this thread, the Captain's Club is an 'enticement' aimed at procuring more business for Celebrity.

It is a free program extended to their customers giving them rewards for doing business with them and can be changed at any time.

It is a free program extended to their customers giving them rewards for doing business with them and can be changed at any time.

Then perhaps I should sue them? As you recommended? I understand you're a notary? Hmmm......

Seriously, if comments cannot be made without resorting to sarcasm---then they should not be made.

Sure Celebrity can change it at anytime, I don't think anyone has been arguing that point. The question is, could they have done it without disappointing so many loyal customers.

Some booked in good faith expecting to hit certain targets under the old program. They are understandably disappointed and some are upset that the rules changed without notice.

I hadn't really thought about it until my post a little while ago. Carnival gave everyone a year and a half to attain Platinum, a goal that many had been working on for years. It wasn't just to those who had already booked cruises, everyone had that much time to continue to earn under the old plan. Instead of 10 cruises they changed the Platinum level to 10 cruises or 75 days. On December 31, 2013 the 10 cruises goes away and they will be 100% days sailed. They started around mid-year 2012.

It does seem to me to be a better way to handle a conversion like this. :)

Programs, your cruise, etc., can all be changed at the drop of the hat, but I agree with you, if someone feels they have breached their contract with them, they should sue. I'm sure they will be just as successful as those that have sued because a port was missed, a cruise was chartered out from under them or their cruise was shortened or cancelled because of a problem. Good luck to all of youm you will need it along with a lot of $$$$'S.

I remember receiving several Celebrity vouchers (worth hundreds of dollars) due to a lawsuit someone else had filed against Celebrity. It does happen.

Sure Celebrity can change it at anytime, I don't think anyone has been arguing that point. The question is, could they have done it without disappointing so many loyal customers.

Some booked in good faith expecting to hit certain targets under the old program. They are understandably disappointed and some are upset that the rules changed without notice.

I hadn't really thought about it until my post a little while ago. Carnival gave everyone a year and a half to attain Platinum, a goal that many had been working on for years. It wasn't just to those who had already booked cruises, everyone had that much time to continue to earn under the old plan. Instead of 10 cruises they changed the Platinum level to 10 cruises or 75 days. On December 31, 2013 the 10 cruises goes away and they will be 100% days sailed. They started around mid-year 2012.

Thank you for writing this. Said much better than I could have said it. For me it's the disappointment aspect. My husband and I have only started cruising 24 months ago---and have 6 Celebrity cruises. We were their BIGGEST FANS. Were they perfect? Of course not. However, we have another 40 yrs of cruising (hopefully!) and that would have translated into a lot of business for Celebrity. (especially when we hit retirement). As our friends have said, it leaves a bad taste.....

Too bad some still have to resort to sarcasm. Perhaps the only 'valid' opinion is one that agrees with yours?

No, I don't mind if someone disagrees with my point of view. It is just that I can't believe what I'm reading on here. Did anyone sign a contract with the Captain's Club? Has anyone read their cruise contracts and have seen that, even with your cruises, there can be changes at anytime.

I feel for those that are short, but I ask again, where should have Celebrity cut the line. Who should have got what? People with 2 points think they should be upped to the next level. One person a cruise away from Zenith, think they were treated badly. Others in Elite+ think they are not valued because they weren't automatically upped to Zenith, even though they are far away point wise. Some think they should get upfront credit for paid cruises, others think they should be given upfront credits for deposited cruises and others feel they should be treated differently because they paid to join (which many got that back plus more, but seem to forget about it). Then there are those that are taking the old program and counting days as if it were the new program and complaining that they got screwed. Why on earth would someone think that the old program (other than the conversion points) has any bearing on the new program. How about the one that was 4 points away from Elite+ on the old program, when there was no Elite+ in the old program. I'm in the same boat or ship as a lot of people. My next booked cruise (a 4 day concierge class because I was in Florida for a wedding and though I would take a short cruise) would have put me to Elite, but now it doesn't. So did I sit on here complaining and trashing Celebrity, no I changed it to a 7 day cruise in concierge class. Issue solved, this cruise makes me Elite....Yippy, but I don't really care! I realize that Celebrity was fair, they left me in the same situation I was in prior to the new program, 1 cruise away. I didn't really lose anything and I didn't gain anything. No one lost anything that they didn't already have.

It just seems that there are so many on here that only cruise for the points and perks and that really surprises me. When I become Elite I will probably only use the laundry and internet, but if they both went away tomorrow, I wouldn't complain and say I was going to stop cruising with Celebrity, I'd deal with it. People can stay with a cruise line they like and enjoy what "free" things they are given or they can go to another cruise line and enjoy what "free" things they give them, if that is all they care about. It is a personal choice, my choice is to keep cruising with Celebrity and thank them for not taking anything away from me with this new program.

Then perhaps I should sue them? As you recommended? I understand you're a notary? Hmmm......

Seriously, if comments cannot be made without resorting to sarcasm---then they should not be made.

I didn't recommend, because I wouldn't do that because I think you would lose. Notary, no I'm a retired music industry professional.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Thank you for writing this. Said much better than I could have said it. For me it's the disappointment aspect. My husband and I have only started cruising 24 months ago---and have 6 Celebrity cruises. We were their BIGGEST FANS. Were they perfect? Of course not. However, we have another 40 yrs of cruising (hopefully!) and that would have translated into a lot of business for Celebrity. (especially when we hit retirement). As our friends have said, it leaves a bad taste.....

My pleasure - -- You're in a enviable position to have done 6 cruises in two years with 40 years more ahead of you. I'd like to think we have 40 years ahead also, but we'd be pushing 100, and we may slow down a bit by then ;)

I honestly don't think that many were disappointed. You have to remember that those on cruise critic are a very small percentage of Celebrity's customer base.

And yes, I do feel for them, but changes happen and they don't always come out in a positive way for everyone. Celebrity didn't give me bonus points so that my booked 4 day cruise would have pushed me to Elite, I changed it to a 7 day, so I am in the same boat as many other posters.

Carnival and Celebrity are two different companies. Did Royal Caribbean give a year or more to get your points up. If Celebrity gave a year or 6 months, we would be in the same position that many elites were complaining about...too many elites and probably too many elites+ and I would bet you that we would still be having these threads with people saying, but I booked my cruise in the year time frame, I just can't take it for another six months, so I should get the points.

People have a choice, they can stay with Celebrity, a line I'm assuming that they really liked and enjoyed the cruising experience on their ships or they can take their money elsewhere to get more "freebies" or a better loyalty program, if they are so unhappy.

Edited by NLH Arizona

No, I don't mind if someone disagrees with my point of view. It is just that I can't believe what I'm reading on here. Did anyone sign a contract with the Captain's Club? Has anyone read their cruise contracts and have seen that, even with your cruises, there can be changes at anytime.

I feel for those that are short, but I ask again, where should have Celebrity cut the line. Who should have got what? People with 2 points think they should be upped to the next level. One person a cruise away from Zenith, think they were treated badly. Others in Elite+ think they are not valued because they weren't automatically upped to Zenith, even though they are far away point wise. Some think they should get upfront credit for paid cruises, others think they should be given upfront credits for deposited cruises and others feel they should be treated differently because they paid to join (which many got that back plus more, but seem to forget about it). Then there are those that are taking the old program and counting days as if it were the new program and complaining that they got screwed. Why on earth would someone think that the old program (other than the conversion points) has any bearing on the new program. How about the one that was 4 points away from Elite+ on the old program, when there was no Elite+ in the old program. I'm in the same boat or ship as a lot of people. My next booked cruise (a 4 day concierge class because I was in Florida for a wedding and though I would take a short cruise) would have put me to Elite, but now it doesn't. So did I sit on here complaining and trashing Celebrity, no I changed it to a 7 day cruise in concierge class. Issue solved, this cruise makes me Elite....Yippy, but I don't really care! I realize that Celebrity was fair, they left me in the same situation I was in prior to the new program, 1 cruise away. I didn't really lose anything and I didn't gain anything. No one lost anything that they didn't already have.

It just seems that there are so many on here that only cruise for the points and perks and that really surprises me. When I become Elite I will probably only use the laundry and internet, but if they both went away tomorrow, I wouldn't complain and say I was going to stop cruising with Celebrity, I'd deal with it. People can stay with a cruise line they like and enjoy what "free" things they are given or they can go to another cruise line and enjoy what "free" things they give them, if that is all they care about. It is a personal choice, my choice is to keep cruising with Celebrity and thank them for not taking anything away from me with this new program.

I do agree with some of what you have written. However, there are a lot of those who cruise with Celebrity, based on the Captain's Club. Celebrity has offered this 'enticement' knowing that there are many who will cruise with them solely based on that fact.

The fact that as someone has written, Carnival was able to allow a long-term period for their 'conversion' makes me wonder why Celebrity could not? (I don't know the specifics etc. and am only paraphrasing at this point). It definitely would have kept the 'harmony' and avoided the negative feelings many are experiencing.

Not sure if this is an accurate analogy but couldn't this be compared to a frequent flyer program? A person books and pays for a flight that will place them into the next tier and whatever benefits are affiliated with the step up. Then they are told that the program has changed and they will either need to change their seat to first-class in order to attain the new level perks, or they will need to book a subsequent flight? Perhaps it's not an accurate comparison (as I have stated) but wouldn't there be those who would express dissatisfaction with such a change and perhaps switch airlines? This is supposition on my part but I'm just trying to understand how there are those that think that Celebrity is well within their rights to do this (fine print excluded). It just leaves a bad impression of an otherwise stellar cruise line.

Edited by dobes3kh

My pleasure - -- You're in a enviable position to have done 6 cruises in two years with 40 years more ahead of you. I'd like to think we have 40 years ahead also, but we'd be pushing 100, and we may slow down a bit by then ;)

Maybe you might slow down.....but maybe not! You just never know :)

IMHO this is best post I have seen on all the threads concerning the CC conversion. I wholeheartedly agree with all of your points.

Hope we cruise together sometime. Great minds think alike and all that. :):)

I do agree with some of what you have written. However, there are a lot of those who cruise with Celebrity, based on the Captain's Club. Celebrity has offered this 'enticement' knowing that there are many who will cruise with them solely based on that fact.

The fact that as someone has written, Carnival was able to allow a long-term period for their 'conversion' makes me wonder why Celebrity could not? (I don't know the specifics etc. and am only paraphrasing at this point). It definitely would have kept the 'harmony' and avoided the negative feelings many are experiencing.

Not sure if this is an accurate analogy but couldn't this be compared to a frequent flyer program? A person books and pays for a flight that will place them into the next tier and whatever benefits are affiliated with the step up. Then they are told that the program has changed and they will either need to change their seat to first-class in order to attain the new level perks, or they will need to book a subsequent flight? Perhaps it's not an accurate comparison (as I have stated) but wouldn't there be those who would express dissatisfaction with such a change and perhaps switch airlines? This is supposition on my part but I'm just trying to understand how there are those that think this is Celebrity is well within their rights to do this (fine print excluded). It just leaves a bad impression of an otherwise stellar cruise line.

I guess I've never been one to get excited over free stuff, maybe because in my career I had so much. And again, I'm sorry for those that feel they were cheated, but the way I look at it, no one lost anything that they didn't already have. If you were Classic you stayed Classic, etc. and like all airline loyalty programs, you don't get your points until after you fly, no matter when you purchase the ticket.

Celebrity could have given people a year or two or three, but they didn't and we have to live with their decision. They are the company and they make the rules. I still think that if they did, we would still have these same threads with unhappy posters thinking they are not valued, because they booked the cruise in the year, but couldn't take it then and wants the points.

I was in management for many years. When we chose to raise the price of an item, it was our decision. If we decided to change the return policy, it was our decision. Were our customers happy about everything we did, no, but in time (just like at Royal Caribbean after they changed their program), things got back to normal. Will they lose some customers, probably, but probably not as many as you think.

The reason I think they have every right to do it is because it is a program that rewards their customers with free perks, it is not something the customer pays for, and, most importantly, they make the rules.

I'm sorry you have a bad taste in your mouth and I truly hope that you continue cruising either with Celebrity or another cruise line. I've been on over 30 cruises and I've enjoyed everyone of them, whether I received 1 free item or not.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You said everything that I have been unable to articulate!

IMHO this is best post I have seen on all the threads concerning the CC conversion. I wholeheartedly agree with all of your points.

Hope we cruise together sometime. Great minds think alike and all that. :):)

Hope we cruise together as well.

It is just that I don't believe all the hooha about a few free items (that really aren't worth that much), when all of us on here are so blessed that we can cruise. There are so many people that struggle everyday just to feed their families and can't take a vacation, much less a cruise. There are so many unemployeed that can only dream about going on a cruise. There are people in bad health that only wished they had the strength to walk, much less take a cruise. And some people think that not getting a bag of free laundry or 90 minutes of internet time or some free drinks is so important that it is the end of the world.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I will never understand.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've always felt that Celebrity's past guest program was very generous. I was thrilled that it only took us five sailings to hit Elite - though admittedly ever since honestly felt it was too easy. We already had well over 200 cruise days with Carnival when they rolled out their new program last July, and thus were immediately "Diamond" with them. Even after that "big" change in their program I was underwhelmed, to say the least.

What we get as Diamond with Carnival:

> A once in a lifetime free meal at their specialty restaurant.

> A special (Diamond member) group meeting with the captain... woo hoo

> A once in a lifetime free 3rd/4th guest in our cabin (like we want more than just us in the cabin to begin with...lol) OR a once in a lifetime category upgrade. The upgrade, however, did not apply to suites, which is what we sail in. The other downside of this "perk" was that it had to be redeemed within one year. Ours went unclaimed, as it was useless to us.

> Some other pretty useless stuff

Carnival used to give, as part of their past guest program, a free tournament entry each sailing (slots or blackjack) which was a $20 value. With the new program they changed it to a BOGO, and the cost increased to $25... :rolleyes:

My favorite perk as an Elite with Celebrity has always been the 90 free internet minutes, which equals three hours when we add ours together!

Soon enough we'll be E+ and get over six hours of combined internet - not to mention some other discounts (we dine each evening in a specialty restaurant, so those savings will add up as well).

I anticipated that that new level (E+) would equate to D+ with Royal, but apparently it's still "only" good for D. I did not see any mention, at least in the page I saw on Celebrity's site, of what achieving Zenith would equate to (Royally speaking). Did I miss something, or are they only extending the reciprocity up to a certain point (the old levels)?

Tom

I've always felt that Celebrity's past guest program was very generous. I was thrilled that it only took us five sailings to hit Elite - though admittedly ever since honestly felt it was too easy. We already had well over 200 cruise days with Carnival when they rolled out their new program last July, and thus were immediately "Diamond" with them. Even after that "big" change in their program I was underwhelmed, to say the least.

What we get as Diamond with Carnival:

> A once in a lifetime free meal at their specialty restaurant.

> A special (Diamond member) group meeting with the captain... woo hoo

> A once in a lifetime free 3rd/4th guest in our cabin (like we want more than just us in the cabin to begin with...lol) OR a once in a lifetime category upgrade. The upgrade, however, did not apply to suites, which is what we sail in. The other downside of this "perk" was that it had to be redeemed within one year. Ours went unclaimed, as it was useless to us.

> Some other pretty useless stuff

Carnival used to give, as part of their past guest program, a free tournament entry each sailing (slots or blackjack) which was a $20 value. With the new program they changed it to a BOGO, and the cost increased to $25... :rolleyes:

My favorite perk as an Elite with Celebrity has always been the 90 free internet minutes, which equals three hours when we add ours together!

Soon enough we'll be E+ and get over six hours of combined internet - not to mention some other discounts (we dine each evening in a specialty restaurant, so those savings will add up as well).

I anticipated that that new level (E+) would equate to D+ with Royal, but apparently it's still "only" good for D. I did not see any mention, at least in the page I saw on Celebrity's site, of what achieving Zenith would equate to (Royally speaking). Did I miss something, or are they only extending the reciprocity up to a certain point (the old levels)?

Tom

Tom, they are stopping the reciprocity at Elite and Diamond between both lines. I think that both Celebrity and RCI gave nice past guest perks.

I can't believe a recent poster stated they are considering not sailing on Celebrity anymore because they felt the overall perks were not as valuable anymore. Gee, I thought the purpose of a cruise was to enjoy one's vacation.

Edited by Redman1947

Tom, they are stopping the reciprocity at Elite and Diamond between both lines. I think that both Celebrity and RCI gave nice past guest perks.

Well crud! Now at 286 points with X, 59 points on RCCL. We were wanting to hit Elite so we could hob nob in the Diamond lounge:rolleyes: