The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

I totally understand--we have two cruises booked and paid for (leaving tomorrow for one). However, whenever they make the cutoff--whether today or next month, someone will be unhappy. There may be someone with future cruises booked and paid for that will give them more points under the new system than under the old. If they waited to implement, then those folks will be unhappy. There is just no way to make everyone happy. To try to do it on a case-by-case basis would be a nightmare.

The fix for someone who would be Elite at the end of a cruise that is already fully paid for (at the time of conversion) is something that could have been handled by programming, in the same way that bonus points were assigned for people with 8 and 9 points. That system was set up to put those people in a more equitable situation, and it was done by programming.

"If....then...."

No nightmare at all.

Edited by elena7seas

I called today on an issue pertaining to an upcoming cruise. I noticed that I had some points in my account.

I was told that two new higher levels have been created, elite plus (?) and venus. Base points were determined by your current status-they have a conversion table.

Points will now be issues based on the cabin type, and days. So insides get 1 point, outsides 2 points, balcony 3 points etc. We are going on a balcony for 14 days so we get 42 points (3 X 14). Cannot remember anything else. Don't know what the benefits are of higher levels.

Is it true that it is only for Elite Plus and higher now and is that only between 5 -7pm. Can anyone go there at other hours I love that Club

Ontario Cruiser

I was told that they are rolling out the VIP lounge that they have had on the Infinity fleet wide. It is for Royal & PH suite guests plus Zenith guests only. I believe it is all day (or at least until 7 PM).

Can anyone verify the hours the VIP lounge was open on the Infinity?

On 11/13 we completed our cruise worth 3 points that brought us to the 10 needed to become Elite. Under the new system we'd be short about 50 points and, even with our upcoming cruise of 13 nights in an OV, still not there.

I feel for those who happily anticipated when they would reach Elite status based on cruises booked only to learn it ain't gonna happen.

I do think that for those upcoming cruises with final payment due and paid prior to today, the old system should prevail. I'd have been so disappointed if this happened to us.

Wonder what the status is for those who boarded a Celebrity ship prior to today....

Edited by TMLAalum

Actually, they weren't listening to everyone. I'm sure if Celebrity had asked and listened to ANY of the people who would have reached Elite at the end of cruises which were fully paid before the date of conversion, they would have included a "patch" for this particular (and very limited) situation.

This particular situation is fundamentally INequitable, and it would have been so easy to avoid.

How would it have been easy to avoid. Had celebrity done that then everyone who had a cruise booked would have complained that they did it for those that paid in fully why not those that had a deposit. Would their argument have been any less valid?

Bottom line is they had to draw the line somewhere and they did. To mitigate the situation for some they provided bonus points. Now folks in classic tier are upset that they weren't treated the same (see another post on here). So where does it end?

I stated on another post that the only way Celebrity could have pleased everyone was to make anyone who had ever seen a Celebrity an immediate Zenith. But then the complaints would start that the Zenith lounge was to crowded.

Edited by maxsales

I think the points are intended to be per person per room per day, not based on how much you pay. I assume a single person traveling in a suite would still get suite level points per day.

Tom

Solo travelers are still paying double and getting single points:mad:

It might be better to take 12 7 day cruises on RCI and become a Diamond then transfer back to Celebrity at Elite level. I think it takes about 21 7 day cruises (in a veranda) to become Elite.

Tom

I called today on an issue pertaining to an upcoming cruise. I noticed that I had some points in my account.

I was told that two new higher levels have been created, elite plus (?) and venus. Base points were determined by your current status-they have a conversion table.

Points will now be issues based on the cabin type, and days. So insides get 1 point, outsides 2 points, balcony 3 points etc. We are going on a balcony for 14 days so we get 42 points (3 X 14). Cannot remember anything else. Don't know what the benefits are of higher levels.

You should be able to cancel the south american cruise and get a full refund, it far enough out that it shouldn't have reached final payment date yet.

We made final payment on the South America/Antarctica cruise last week. It was due Nov. 18. We bought our air line tickets already, as well as paying for a side trip to Iguazu Falls & our hotel in Buenos Aires. We wouldn't cancel that cruise, even if we could. However, if we could cancel the Dec. cruise we would.:(

We never book cruises based upon our frequent customer status on any of the cruise lines.

For us it is strictly itinerary, ship, cruise line/price, and to some degree cruise line policies.

Lately there have been quite a few Celebrity cruises that fit the bill on all counts.

We are getting credit for our upcoming cruise, paid in full, after completion of the cruise. No different that the old system.

Edited by iancal

It might be better to take 12 7 day cruises on RCI and become a Diamond then transfer back to Celebrity at Elite level. I think it takes about 21 7 day cruises (in a veranda) to become Elite.

15 cruises in a veranda to hit Elite.

How would it have been easy to avoid.

When Carnival switched from cruises to days, they had a grace period where you could qualify for their version of elite within a certain time period. That probably would have solved the problem.

As posted in another thread, I booked 2 concierge cabins for my family only for the double points which would make us Elite. Cruise leaves in 11 days. Instead of 60 points we will get 35 points and fall short by 25 points. I confirmed this with Celebrity. I wasted the extra money to get these cabins.

Celebrity should have made the new point system with new reservations that fully paid for. That would be fair.

If Celebrity lowers the price for your cruise after final payment, they will give you nothing. Why take away something after full payment

Sorry but I can't agree. The Captains club was free, it had a cost that celebrity paid but they did not directly pass that on to you. It was and is a perk.

Sorry but I can't agree. It had a benefit to the company otherwise they wouldn't run it. They expect to earn more from revenue as passengers stick with the cruise line as they see they get benefits from doing so.

As posted in another thread, I booked 2 concierge cabins for my family only for the double points which would make us Elite. Cruise leaves in 11 days. Instead of 60 points we will get 35 points and fall short by 25 points. I confirmed this with Celebrity. I wasted the extra money to get these cabins.

Celebrity should have made the new point system with new reservations that fully paid for. That would be fair.

If Celebrity lowers the price for your cruise after final payment, they will give you nothing. Why take away something after full payment

Some assumptions from your details:

You had 8 points (you expected a 7-day cruise in CC to make you Elite with the 2 points)

Your cruise is 7 days (35 points in CC would be 5 times 7. Also based on your assumption of 60 points conversion)

Not saying you are not right, but there have been several posters who said they had 8 points and were given 25 bonus points on the conversion. 8 points times 30 is 240 plus the bonus of 25 is 265. Your 35 points would get you to elite. Does your profile not show you with 265 Club Points?

If you didn't have 8 points ,a 7-day cruise in Concierge cabins would not have made you Elite. Hopefully, the rep you talked to just wasn't up to speed.

We just reached Select and after the two 2014 cruises we have booked in Aqua Class we would have hit the Elite. Not only will that not happen now, the new point system puts it way, way off. I will probably be canceling mt second cruise since the main impetus for that cruise was to hit Elite in anticipation of a European cruise this summer. Will probably look at HAL, Princess. I am very angry and am not looking forward to the first 2014 cruise we have booked, but because we have friends along I can't cancel that one, too.

I spoke with X last night and they confirmed this and said there is nothin they can do about it. I have 85 pts to go after my first 2014 cruise to get to Elite. Very, very poor customer relations. They should at least honor all cruises booked with the old system.

We just reached Select and after the two 2014 cruises we have booked in Aqua Class we would have hit the Elite. Not only will that not happen now, the new point system puts it way, way off. I will probably be canceling mt second cruise since the main impetus for that cruise was to hit Elite in anticipation of a European cruise this summer. Will probably look at HAL, Princess. I am very angry and am not looking forward to the first 2014 cruise we have booked, but because we have friends along I can't cancel that one, too.

I spoke with X last night and they confirmed this and said there is nothin they can do about it. I have 85 pts to go after my first 2014 cruise to get to Elite. Very, very poor customer relations. They should at least honor all cruises booked with the old system.

All well and good, but doing this would be a total logistics nightmare! Do you realize how many cruises are booked into the "future"??? I think Celebrity has been more than fair with their transfer to the new point system. You are certainly free to move your business elsewhere if you are truly that angry. Life's too short IMHO.

When Carnival re-vamped their system they gave everyone about a year and a half to reach Platinum (level of Elite) under the old plan.

It was very fair. People were taking 3 day cruises like crazy.

Under their old system 10 three day cruises and you made Platinum. Now they are on a per day basis and I think a day is a day no matter the category. Platinum is 75 days and Diamond is 200.

I feel for the people who had cruises booked and were expecting to make the next level that are now much further from their goal :(

When Carnival re-vamped their system they gave everyone about a year and a half to reach Platinum (level of Elite) under the old plan.

It was very fair. People were taking 3 day cruises like crazy.

Under their old system 10 three day cruises and you made Platinum. Now they are on a per day basis and I think a day is a day no matter the category. Platinum is 75 days and Diamond is 200.

I feel for the people who had cruises booked and were expecting to make the next level that are now much further from their goal :(

I wasn't aware that Carnival had done the same thing. Thanks for the info. That must have been a 'logistical nightmare' for Carnival---being that they are such a small cruise company :rolleyes:

I'm only asking that a cruise we had already booked and paid for be honoured. When we booked the cruise, we did so with the understanding that we were going to be at the elite level. We have honoured our commitment to the contract with Celebrity. Too bad they don't do the same.

All well and good, but doing this would be a total logistics nightmare! Do you realize how many cruises are booked into the "future"??? I think Celebrity has been more than fair with their transfer to the new point system. You are certainly free to move your business elsewhere if you are truly that angry. Life's too short IMHO.

I disagree.....Celebrity were well aware of when the new Captain's Club system would be implemented and they should have informed those who were in the process of making bookings. As it is now, we will either pay an additional $500 for a 5 night cruise to become Elite (when we booked we were already going to Elite based on the terms and conditions of the booking) or we can pay and lose money to cancel. Hmm....sort of a lose-lose situation I would say.

When we booked the cruise, we did so with the understanding that we were going to be at the elite level. We have honoured our commitment to the contract with Celebrity. Too bad they don't do the same.

Contract?

Really?

Well, if you feel Celebrity breached a contract, perhaps you should sue them.

The fact is the entire Captain's Club program is extended solely as a voluntary premium by Celebrity. It's 100% clear to anyone capable of reading that the program could be modified at any time, without any prior notice.

Harris

Denver, CO

There was a similar uproar on the RCI board when they changed the program. Many stomped their feet and claimed to be leaving. Most of those same people are still cruising with RCI. Most find that the grass is not always greener with the other lines but I agree with you, if you're not happy then vote with your wallet and leave. Simple as that. I have done this myself with a cruise line.

Contract?

Really?

Well, if you feel Celebrity breached a contract, perhaps you should sue them.

The fact is the entire Captain's Club program is extended solely as a voluntary premium by Celebrity. It's 100% clear to anyone capable of reading that the program could be modified at any time, without any prior notice.

Harris

Denver, CO

So if it's not a contract, then what is it? As someone else has written during this thread, the Captain's Club is an 'enticement' aimed at procuring more business for Celebrity.