Possible Wheelchair Need

cjdixon4

I'm nearing a final decision about our sailing for May 2014 (either Jewel or Navigator). One of my group may require occasional use of a wheelchair while onboard. She is mobile but has problems with her feet periodically, so a "set of wheels" could give her some relief from time to time.

Does anybody have prior experience with this? I'm guessing that RCCL doesn't offer wheelchairs onboard, and we'd need to supply our own. Is this the case? Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

Yes, you will need to arrange for your own. The ship will have some but only to help with embarkation and debarkation. Perhaps a scooter would suit your friend better. The cruiseline can give you the name of approved vendors. However, if you go this route you would need a handicapped cabin or one large enough for the scooter or wheelchair to fit through the door and be stored inside.

Yes, you will need to arrange for your own. The ship will have some but only to help with embarkation and debarkation. Perhaps a scooter would suit your friend better. The cruiseline can give you the name of approved vendors. However, if you go this route you would need a handicapped cabin or one large enough for the scooter or wheelchair to fit through the door and be stored inside.

Thanks for responding, Geri. She walks pretty well up to a point, but having access to a wheelchair would sure be a "plus"! While she isn't totally disabled, your suggestion about a handicapped cabin is interesting.

Here's yet another question...

Does RCCL have restrictions on WHO qualifies for those types of cabins? You may not know the answer, and I may need to call them directly but it's worth asking!

I'm nearing a final decision about our sailing for May 2014 (either Jewel or Navigator). One of my group may require occasional use of a wheelchair while onboard. She is mobile but has problems with her feet periodically, so a "set of wheels" could give her some relief from time to time.

Does anybody have prior experience with this? I'm guessing that RCCL doesn't offer wheelchairs onboard, and we'd need to supply our own. Is this the case? Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

I would check with friends at home before you leave to see if anyone has one you can borrow. You would be surprised at how many people have one that they use occasionally for a loved one. You also might want to check into renting one at home instead of from the ship. We have a hardware store that rents everything and anything and they rent wheelchairs for $5 per day. Another option is a transport chair, which are lightweight but not as comfortable and don't handle uneven surfaces well since they only have small wheels.

They likely will not fit through the door of the cabin but since your friend can walk on their own, they can get out so it can be folded to get through the doorway.

I would check with friends at home before you leave to see if anyone has one you can borrow. You would be surprised at how many people have one that they use occasionally for a loved one. You also might want to check into renting one at home instead of from the ship. We have a hardware store that rents everything and anything and they rent wheelchairs for $5 per day. Another option is a transport chair, which are lightweight but not as comfortable and don't handle uneven surfaces well since they only have small wheels.

They likely will not fit through the door of the cabin but since your friend can walk on their own, they can get out so it can be folded to get through the doorway.

Thanks so much. Also, we'll be flying to Houston (if we decide on Navigator, which sails from Galveston), so I wonder whether Southwest will charge for storing the wheelchair in one of their compartments? Man, I didn't think about all of this other stuff!

Thanks for responding, Geri. She walks pretty well up to a point, but having access to a wheelchair would sure be a "plus"! While she isn't totally disabled, your suggestion about a handicapped cabin is interesting.

Does RCCL have restrictions on WHO qualifies for those types of cabins? You may not know the answer, and I may need to call them directly but it's worth asking!

not to but into a conversation but my sister in law got an handicap room based off her size no mobility issues and very healthy otherwise but need larger bathroom

they seem to be very liberal in their definition of special needs

Thanks so much. Also, we'll be flying to Houston (if we decide on Navigator, which sails from Galveston), so I wonder whether Southwest will charge for storing the wheelchair in one of their compartments? Man, I didn't think about all of this other stuff!

Honestly, if you have to fly, I would NOT mess with renting one from anywhere else but a ship approved vendor. You wont have to lug the heavy thing around and worry about it.

If you rent from an approved vendor, it will be waiting on you in the cabin when you board and when the cruise is over, you just leave in the cabin. You will pay more but it will be worth not having to hassle with it.

My wheelchair is ultralight, only about 15 pounds and can easily go in the closet on the plane. Not so much with a 60 pound standard hospital chair. :)

Most airlines will let you gate check a wheelchair at no charge but I would check the Southwest website for their specific rules.

not to but into a conversation but my sister in law got an handicap room based off her size no mobility issues and very healthy otherwise but need larger bathroom

they seem to be very liberal in their definition of special needs

Oh no, you're not "butting in"...LOL. This is the kind of info that I'm looking for! That's good to know, 'cause I was envisioning RCI wanting some type of medical proof or other for requesting a handicapped cabin. Thanks for your input.

That's good to know, 'cause I was envisioning RCI wanting some type of medical proof or other for requesting a handicapped cabin. Thanks for your input.

RCI doesnt require anything but a Special Needs form signed and faxed to the Special Needs dept.

Needing a wheelchair for limited mobility issues is a legit reason to book a HA cabin :)

I would hurry though as these cabins sometimes are filled a year in advance.

The form can also be filled out online at the link below.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Edited by ryano

RCI doesnt require anything but a Special Needs form signed and faxed to the Special Needs dept.

Needing a wheelchair for limited mobility issues is a legit reason to book a HA cabin :)

I would hurry though as these cabins sometimes are filled a year in advance.

The form can also be filled out online at the link below.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Great. Thanks!

sort of. with so few of them in each category being truly accessible they can and have asked for proof prior to sailing in order to lock you into the cabin. some are truly WC accessible( wider doors, roll in shower, lower sinks, etc) and some are modified.. say a pulldown seat in the (larger)shower and somewhere in the wording it does stipulate only people with a real need may book them.

what happens( rarely) is that after final payment if any of these have not been booked they are released to main inventory for anyone to grab, but with the stipulation that if needed for someone with a true need comes along you will be moved.

if she thinks she will only semi occasionally need it, a manual from one of the vendors is probably best.. it can be folded up and stashed in even the tiniest of cabins and can be used for port visits( in most locations). Beach wheelchairs are available on the private islands.

My wife uses a wheelchair but can walk for short distances.

We use the manual wheelchair that can fold up in the middle.

We usually get a standard (not handicap) inside cabin, and the wheelchair folded fits OK in the cabin.

A motorized wheelchair or scooter would not fit I don't think.

And RCI really does not want us to leave wheelchairs in the hallway at night -- in case there happened to be an emergency.

One warning: Watch out for the metal humps that are all over the ship. Some of these will stop a wheelchair rather suddenly.

some are truly WC accessible( wider doors, roll in shower, lower sinks, etc) and some are modified.. say a pulldown seat in the (larger)shower and somewhere in the wording it does stipulate only people with a real need may book them.

I could be totally wrong but I dont believe RCI has "modified" cabins on their ships like Carnival and other lines do. Its either totally handicap accessible or its a regular cabin :) Again, I could be totally wrong.

My wife uses a wheelchair but can walk for short distances.

We use the manual wheelchair that can fold up in the middle.

We usually get a standard (not handicap) inside cabin, and the wheelchair folded fits OK in the cabin.

A motorized wheelchair or scooter would not fit I don't think.

And RCI really does not want us to leave wheelchairs in the hallway at night -- in case there happened to be an emergency.

One warning: Watch out for the metal humps that are all over the ship. Some of these will stop a wheelchair rather suddenly.

Good points, Jimnbigd. Much appreciated!

Honestly, if you have to fly, I would NOT mess with renting one from anywhere else but a ship approved vendor. You wont have to lug the heavy thing around and worry about it.

If you rent from an approved vendor, it will be waiting on you in the cabin when you board and when the cruise is over, you just leave in the cabin. You will pay more but it will be worth not having to hassle with it.

My wheelchair is ultralight, only about 15 pounds and can easily go in the closet on the plane. Not so much with a 60 pound standard hospital chair. :)

It is nice to see postings from different perspectives, yours as a fulltime user and mine as an able bodied person who has helped care for elderly parents.:) We have a transport chair we used for a short time for my Dad that we have lent out many times. We no longer have a wheelchair since it was one that was lent to us. Either myself or my DH were able to put it into the car, though my Mom found it too heavy to lift and would use the transport chair if she was on her own with my Dad.

Hopefully, the OP can assess what will work best for their party. They might find that having the chair for a pre-cruise hotel stay is beneficial or that it is more convenient to have it waiting on the ship. It also looks like you can have it waiting at the hotel too with some of the companies you linked to.:)

It is nice to see postings from different perspectives,

Agreed! :)

The OP might actually be better off leaning toward your suggestion if they dont mind lugging the chair around some and want to save some money! Honestly, I tend to forget and I would be totally dependent on someone else if I were to be put in a transport chair or even a big heavy standard wheelchair but Im a very active disabled person and totally rely on a really ultra light compact chair :)

Edited by ryano

I am in need of a wheelchair as I have arthritis in my knees but I can walk short distances. On our recent Adventure cruise we took a manual wheelchair with us. We stored it on the balcony as there wasn't a space to put it in the cabin which was E1. I was under the impression that wheelchairs provided by RCCL were for use on the ship only, but I spoke to someone who said that they had hired one from the ship. They paid a deposit and then when they returned the chair they got it back.

When we would get back to the ship from port, the staff were very helpful in wheeling my chair on board, they said they had to have a licence to drive one. I was very impressed with the help they gave, even though I could have walked on or my husband could have pushed me.

FYI, if she can walk on board and you don't want to be the last on the ship, have her walk on board and use the wheel chair as needed. I've seen people in the boarding area wait more than an hour for boarding assistance. That was most prevalent on Allure the two times I sailed her.

FYI, if she can walk on board and you don't want to be the last on the ship, have her walk on board and use the wheel chair as needed. I've seen people in the boarding area wait more than an hour for boarding assistance. That was most prevalent on Allure the two times I sailed her.

This is downside of not taking wheelchair with you. Long wait to get off even on smaller ships (Radiance size).

Radiance size ship will have automatic doors (other RCI ships don't) and wheelchair accessible vs adapted. So, I would go with Jewel if you get wheelchair and wheelchair accessible room.

I would definitely suggest renting a wheelchair from the approved vendors listed above. If you rent the chair from home you have the hassle of getting it through the airport etc. and the chance of breakage in transit. You can request wheelchair assistance from Southwest at the airport and RCI will provide wheelchair assistance (pier assistance) with initial embarkation and final debarkation. This is very helpful for a person who cannot stand in lines for long periods or walk long distances.

Recently a family member took her own transport chair on a RCI cruise and her husband had to push her up the long ramp to board the ship which was quite a challenge. The crew will push a chair provided by the ship for pier assistance. The only cost with the ship and airlines is a voluntary tip. I am not familiar with the rental cost of a chair provided by a vendor for use during the cruise.

Handicapped rooms are available at the same fee as cabins in the same category. As stated above RCI and all other lines require a form that can be done online and total disability or medical certification is not a requirement.

Recently a family member took her own transport chair on a RCI cruise and her husband had to push her up the long ramp to board the ship which was quite a challenge. The crew will push a chair provided by the ship for pier assistance. The only cost with the ship and airlines is a voluntary tip. I am not familiar with the rental cost of a chair provided by a vendor for use during the cruise.

Just got off cruise with own wheelchair and we had no problem getting assistance from RCI to embark, disembark or any time docked.

Edited by katrina915