Taxi rates from Cozumel port to popular locations

alg7334

Cruise Critic friends - thought you might find this helpful when planning your port day and budget. :)

100_3144_zpsc4dc988a.jpg

Thank you. I was seeing if it would be cheaper for me to book Dolphin Discovery on my own. This helps!

And the rate is a flat rate based on the number of people. For example, if a destination cost $12 for 1-4 people, that's the total fare and it can be split if 2-4 people were in the cab, right?

Thank you. I was seeing if it would be cheaper for me to book Dolphin Discovery on my own. This helps!

And the rate is a flat rate based on the number of people. For example' date=' if a destination cost $12 for 1-4 people, that's the total fare and it can be split if 2-4 people were in the cab, right?[/quote']

Dolphin Discovery will definitely be cheaper on your own! Yes it's a flat rate based on the number of people in your party.

And the rate is a flat rate based on the number of people. For example' date=' if a destination cost $12 for 1-4 people, that's the total fare and it can be split if 2-4 people were in the cab, right?[/quote']

That is correct - same price no matter if it is 4 riding together or just one.

What port is this chart from? I have usually ported at Puerta Maya, which is where Carnival ships typically are at. I remember prices cheaper than what is showing in this chart, so either prices have gone up or this chart is from a different pier. Puerta Maya is the furthest south of the 3 cruise piers, so the beach clubs south of it would have cheaper cab fares than if you were coming from the others. Places I've gone to were about $2 cheaper than what is showing here. Whatever the case, thanks for sharing, as it at least will give people an idea.

Dolphin Discovery will definitely be cheaper on your own! Yes it's a flat rate based on the number of people in your party.

That is correct - same price no matter if it is 4 riding together or just one.

Thank you both! I'm excited. I'm planning excursions for my October trip and need to finalize my excursions for my February trip. I'm so backwards. :D

What port is this chart from? I have usually ported at Puerta Maya, which is where Carnival ships typically are at. I remember prices cheaper than what is showing in this chart, so either prices have gone up or this chart is from a different pier. Puerta Maya is the furthest south of the 3 cruise piers, so the beach clubs south of it would have cheaper cab fares than if you were coming from the others. Places I've gone to were about $2 cheaper than what is showing here. Whatever the case, thanks for sharing, as it at least will give people an idea.

I read a post last night from someone who was just there and they stated the price was $10 to get to Chakanaab, but I figured the price went up because they were there earlier than the OP. But I see the OP visited on NCL, so that might explain the price discrepancy. But I'm preparing for the higher rate just to be safe.

Are these rates one way or round trip? The rate for the Mayan Ruins is $60. If we take a taxi out there, have the cabbie wait for us, then come back, will it all cost $60 or $120?

Not sure about the ones at the bottom (like the Mayan Ruins), but I know the others in blue text are one way. Hopefully someone knows for sure on those bottom ones...

Are these rates one way or round trip? The rate for the Mayan Ruins is $60. If we take a taxi out there, have the cabbie wait for us, then come back, will it all cost $60 or $120?

Pretty sure it's one way. Also, I read that people really shouldn't try to do the ruins on their own because it can be complicated to get there and difficult to get back to the ship on time. This is the one excursion you really should think about booking through the ship. If you're late, they'll wait for you if you are on a ship excursion (this happened on our cruise 2 weeks ago - the ruins group was 45 minutes late). If you did it on your own and were late they'd leave without you and you'd have to fly to the next port to meet the ship.

Here is a link with the prices from downtown in pesos (away from main tourist area)

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxidowntown?From=Taxilangosta

and from Punta Langosta

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxilangosta?From=Taxidowntown

As you will see from the first link the prices at the bottom of the chart are for tours with waiting (or con espera).

There are further tabs on this website for prices from the two southern piers, which are slightly different.

Prices listed are one way. :)

The prices at the top of the list are one-way, the prices at the bottom are round trip.

Edited by c-leg5
spelling

Pretty sure it's one way. Also, I read that people really shouldn't try to do the ruins on their own because it can be complicated to get there and difficult to get back to the ship on time. This is the one excursion you really should think about booking through the ship. If you're late, they'll wait for you if you are on a ship excursion (this happened on our cruise 2 weeks ago - the ruins group was 45 minutes late). If you did it on your own and were late they'd leave without you and you'd have to fly to the next port to meet the ship.

As noted above the prices are round trip and these are prices for visiting the small ruins on the island of Cozumel.

The ruins tour that you are talking about are on the mainland and involve a ferry and bus (or taxi) trip.

Does anyone know what amount of tip it would be appropriate to add to a taxi fare?

15-20% is standard, but it is up to you. On our most recent trip to Nachi I gave the guy a $20 for a $16 fare.

Bills only - US coins are worthless to the cab drivers.

Does anyone know what amount of tip it would be appropriate to add to a taxi fare?

Depends on the car/service. If they leave immediately and go straight to where you asked then I'd tip $3-$4, whatever rounds it up to larger bills. If they make me sit and wait for more passengers then they won't get much of a tip at all. This doesn't usually happen in Cozumel but in the Bahamas, wow.

If there is just two people, will they put you with other people that are going to the same place? That would definitely save some $.

The taxi people will not -- they make more $$ by sending out two cabs; check with your roll call to see if there are others you can pair up with.

As you will see from the first link the prices at the bottom of the chart are for tours with waiting (or con espera).

There are further tabs on this website for prices from the two southern piers...

The prices at the top of the list are one-way, the prices at the bottom are round trip.

"With waiting". What amount of "waiting" time does this consider? Will they wait for you for 3-4 hours at a stop and not charge additional fare? Can this fare also include 2 additional stops on the way back for $2/stop, for a total, let's say, of 6 hours?

"With waiting". What amount of "waiting" time does this consider? Will they wait for you for 3-4 hours at a stop and not charge additional fare? Can this fare also include 2 additional stops on the way back for $2/stop, for a total, let's say, of 6 hours?

If you hire the cab by the hour he will stop where you want and wait as long as you have money to pay. If you are going to a beach club or some other tourist spot plan on one-way fares.