What's next for Celebrity Ships?

JonnyCT81

Now that all of the "Solstice" Class ships have been built, and the Millennium Classes "Solistized" - what's next for Celebrity? RCCL always seems to be making newer ships....is there anything new coming down the pipe for Celebrity? :cool:

Celebrity tripled the cabins on offer in a matter of 2+ years with the launchng of the Solstice Class ships. This means that 2/3 of their staff had to be hired brand new. That is a tremendous task and one that we have all felt the growing pains. I think they will launch in another few years once they start to retire the Millenium class. Personally, I liked very much the Mercury class and love the Solstice class however that Millenium class always left me cold.

I look forward to the Millenium class all being retired and the next great thing to come along. Change is good!

Safe sails to all!

Celebrity tripled the cabins on offer in a matter of 2+ years with the launchng of the Solstice Class ships. This means that 2/3 of their staff had to be hired brand new. That is a tremendous task and one that we have all felt the growing pains. I think they will launch in another few years once they start to retire the Millenium class. Personally, I liked very much the Mercury class and love the Solstice class however that Millenium class always left me cold.

I look forward to the Millenium class all being retired and the next great thing to come along. Change is good!

Safe sails to all!

Unlike unlike unlike. The M class ships have always been my favorite. Always hated that change is good thing - some change is and some change isn't. As I get older trust me there are a lot of changes that I could do without:D:D

Personally, I would love to see them really refurb some ships and start round the world cruises with segments. They just don't have enough variety in itineraries and I foresee getting bored eventually or having to take other cruise lines in order to see other parts of the world.

Personally, I would love to see them really refurb some ships and start round the world cruises with segments. They just don't have enough variety in itineraries and I foresee getting bored eventually or having to take other cruise lines in order to see other parts of the world.

Totally agree.

Unlike unlike unlike. The M class ships have always been my favorite. Always hated that change is good thing - some change is and some change isn't. As I get older trust me there are a lot of changes that I could do without:D:D

I agree 100% :D I love the Connie and Summit. Connie was our first cruise EVER! She was beautiful then and I fell in love with cruising because of her!

Bigger is not always better. I like the additional public spaces and dining alternatives, but don't need all the extra 'fluff' of the gigantic ships!

For those who think change is good and that Celebrity is falling behind the times, I suggest you read about passenger response to the Royal Princess. It seems (from what I've read) that it is way behind the Solstice Class and that change for Princess was NOT good. See also the Norwegian Epic. However, the Breakaway seems nice (from what I've read), and excitement seems to be building for the Quantum class.

For those who think change is good and that Celebrity is falling behind the times, I suggest you read about passenger response to the Royal Princess. It seems (from what I've read) that it is way behind the Solstice Class and that change for Princess was NOT good. See also the Norwegian Epic. However, the Breakaway seems nice (from what I've read), and excitement seems to be building for the Quantum class.

The Q ships seem like a stretched S class altered to fit the active RCI model.

RCI wrote the book on how to design, build and operate large ships which Princess ignored. Plus Princess took out a lot of good design features that were on most of their ships.

Many things on the RP that lots don't like-

Glorified window ledges disguised as balconies

Elevator towers with no accompanying stairs

etc etc,

The Q ships will have 80 sq ft balconies for the standard cabin

The S class appeared from 2009 thru early 2013 while RCI did nothing after the 2011 Allure, designed in 2006. Celebrity will have 4 years to absorb the new ships while RCI builds up to four Q ships and Oasis 3 and 4. Then it will be their turn.

Edited by The Big Booper

Glorified window ledges disguised as balconies

Elevator towers with no accompanying stairs

The Q ships will have 80 sq ft balconies for the standard cabin

On Royal Princess, the standard staterooms have a 32 sq ft balcony. Not large, but certainly more than a "window ledge". This is a bit smaller to balconies on many ships, but not by much. Celebrity's M class ships have 36 sq ft balconies, for instance. Several of Carnival's ships have 35 sq ft balconies. And several NCL ships have 37 sq ft balconies.

And only the central elevator bank will not have adjacent stairs. The fore and aft banks of elevators do.

On Quantum of the Seas, the standard staterooms will have a 55 sq ft balcony, not 80 sq ft. It's the Jr. Suites that will have 81 sq ft balconies. Some Deluxe Balcony rooms will have 82 sq ft, but those are few.

Edited by boogs

On Royal Princess, the standard staterooms have a 32 sq ft balcony. Not large, but certainly more than a "window ledge". This is a bit smaller to balconies on many ships, but not by much. Celebrity's M class ships have 36 sq ft balconies, for instance.

And only the central elevator bank will not have adjacent stairs. The fore and aft banks of elevators do.

On Quantum of the Seas, the standard staterooms will have a 55 sq ft balcony, not 80 sq ft. It's the Jr. Suites that will have 81 sq ft balconies. Some Deluxe Balcony rooms will have 82 sq ft, but those are few.

If you are a big guy, like me, those narrow balconies on the RP are not acceptable. Roughly 3+ ft from glass door to balcony railing. My wife saw a head on shot of a normal sized fairly thin woman sitting in a balcony chair and announced " no way could you wedge your tush into one of those chairs". It's not the total sq footage of the balcony its the depth.

I picked up the 80 ft number from the long Q thread on the RCI board.

In any case, considering the fact that the RP has been getting such mixed reviews, especially on the general review section (not the boards), the problem is not that it is a new ship, but that it was poorly designed from the beginning. Princess is redesigning the Regal, no. 2 in the series, and will quickly redo the RP also. That to me is an admission that they messed up the design.

As a rule, RCI and =X= get it correct right out of the box.

Edited by The Big Booper

As stated it's now RCI's turn for new builds. Three Quantum class ships and one Oasis class are firm with an option for another Oasis class in 2018. As a matter of fact the shipyard is expecting an order for two more Oasis class ships.

Then there is Azamara. If this lines is to continue to grow and compete with the competition they will need new builds.

I think that RCCL will start placing orders for Celebrity sometime around 2016-17 for delivery around 2019-2020. By that time it will be time to start replacing the Millie class.

Edited by cruisingator2

If you are a big guy, like me, those narrow balconies on the RP are not acceptable. Roughly 3+ ft from glass door to balcony railing. My wife saw a head on shot of a normal sized fairly thin woman sitting in a balcony chair and announced " no way could you wedge your tush into one of those chairs". It's not the total sq footage of the balcony its the depth.

I picked up the 80 ft number from the long Q thread on the RCI board.

In any case, considering the fact that the RP has been getting such mixed reviews, especially on the general review section (not the boards), the problem is not that it is a new ship, but that it was poorly designed from the beginning. Princess is redesigning the Regal, no. 2 in the series, and will quickly redo the RP also. That to me is an admission that they messed up the design.

As a rule, RCI and =X= get it correct right out of the box.

I've seen photos of the balconies on the RP and they are tiny no matter what size a person is. I thought that Carnival had small balconies but this ship is horrible as is the new Breakaway.

I've seen photos of the balconies on the RP and they are tiny no matter what size a person is. I thought that Carnival had

small balconies but this ship is horrible as is the new Breakaway.

I'll be interested to experience the dreaded tiny Breakaway balconies for myself next year. I've done many a Carnival cruise and their balconies are notoriously small and poorly designed (particularly that awful door that opens out onto the already tight, cramped balcony), so it'll be interesting to compare. A small balcony with a sliding door already has a leg up. I take solace in knowing that RCI and X don't design new ships with balconies that tiny... the balconies on the Oasis class are a dream, especially now that they're making fixes so you can't get locked outside.

Edited by Dave85

I agree totally. The itineraries suck! The last time I checked, two ships have practically the same Caribbean itinerary. What's up with that? I love both their M and S-class ships. So I don't really care if they have new ships, as long as they refurb them right.

Posted using Tapatalk