Interline question...

kimanjo

Anyone know..

If you book an cruise, using an Interline rate, can you chose your cabin from different cabin categories??

For example, Holland America has many inside categories. MM, N, J etc...

If I book an inside, can I chose a specific inside category, (K) but it would be a GTY in THAT category?

Anyone know..

If you book an cruise, using an Interline rate, can you chose your cabin from different cabin categories??

For example, Holland America has many inside categories. MM, N, J etc...

If I book an inside, can I chose a specific inside category, (K) but it would be a GTY in THAT category?

You generally get better rates when you book with an internet travel agency than directly with the cruise line. You can pick which category you want. You would only have to choose a guaranty cabin if that category is sold out.

Shop around online until you find a good travel agency that specializes in cruises.

You're always better choosing a definitive cabin because with the guaranty you never know where you mind wind up.

Jonathan

You generally get better rates when you book with an internet travel agency than directly with the cruise line. You can pick which category you want. You would only have to choose a guaranty cabin if that category is sold out.

Shop around online until you find a good travel agency that specializes in cruises.

You're always better choosing a definitive cabin because with the guaranty you never know where you mind wind up.

Jonathan

I am a seasoned cruiser, but was specially asking about Interline rates. Is there anyone who has booked an Interline rate? Right now, the best price for a particular cruise (inside), is 2699.00, however, the Interline rate is 1299.00. When I book a regular cruise, the cabin increase price within a catagory is maybe 20 bucks per up. Don't know if it's the same with Interline rates??

RE: Interline bookings, I'm referring to general 'interline rate' booking experience not a specific agency. In our experience it varies by cruise line. We have cruised 3 different lines and each was different (though all were booked via the same TA).

HAL allowed us to choose our cabin for a slight upcharge...we were only going to book if we could get a specific cabin (not just that category) that we saw was available. IIRC the original offer was a GTY of a certain category, or better, with the cabin assigned around a week in advance of the sailing. Our TA called HAL & worked out the details, it was worth it to us to pay a little more and confirm that specific cabin in that case.

Just FYI, experience on other lines: Oceania allowed us to select a cabin in the category we booked, at the time of booking. We did a guarantee on Silversea because our options were very limited in what they would allow us to choose from at booking. As our TA said, you can't do any worse. Our suite was assigned roughly 30 days prior to sailing and we were very pleased with what was assigned, the location was better (to us) than what we could have chosen in advance.

As our TA did for us, yours should be able to call HAL and confirm the details of your booking.

Edited by PRWeezer

If you're referring to the travel agency Interline we're not able to comment on travel companies on Cruise Critic.

Jonathan

Jonathan, your answer has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

"Interline" is not a travel agency. Those employed in the travel industry--airline pilots, travel agents, cruise ship employees, etc--are given an across-the-board discount rate called an "interline" rate on select travel itineraries. That means travel industry employees can sail on a cruise, or book a flight, at an incredibly low rate that the general public cannot use.

For example, if my husband were an airline pilot for Delta, I would be entitled to a very large discount--much larger than what you, as a regular cruiser--were to receive, even with your very best agency working hard on your behalf.

Interline rates are courtesy discounts given usually at the almost last-minute to fill unsold space on a ship, an airplane, or a hotel room.

Interline discounts rock!

Jonathan, your answer has nothing to do with what the OP is asking.

"Interline" is not a travel agency. Those employed in the travel industry--airline pilots, travel agents, cruise ship employees, etc--are given an across-the-board discount rate called an "interline" rate on select travel itineraries. That means travel industry employees can sail on a cruise, or book a flight, at an incredibly low rate that the general public cannot use.

For example, if my husband were an airline pilot for Delta, I would be entitled to a very large discount--much larger than what you, as a regular cruiser--were to receive, even with your very best agency working hard on your behalf.

Interline rates are courtesy discounts given usually at the almost last-minute to fill unsold space on a ship, an airplane, or a hotel room.

Interline discounts rock!

Wow, that's a terrific deal, thanks for explaining Ellasabe.

Jonathan

You generally get better rates when you book with an internet travel agency than directly with the cruise line.

That is not accurate in terms of defining the stateroom rate you will receive from a TA v directly form the cruise lines. The base stateroom rate you will receive from the cruise line will be the same as that given by a TA as most mass market cruise lines do not allow or provide TA's discounted rates.

When a total rate through a TA is shown as less than that directly from a cruise line it is as a result of "give backs" in the form of OBC's or other "discounts" which, in one form or another, come directly out of their booking commission. And not all TA's do this. Group or blocked room rates through a TA may show a nominal "discount" which is typically 1 passenger rate for every so many rooms blocked given to the TA. If a TA elects to give that back, all or part of it may be shown as a "discount" spread across the total rooms blocked. But the cruise line published rate is the same from them or through a TA.

Sorry - I know this has nothing to do with interline rates.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think you are referring to travel agencies that specialize in last minute rates that only airline and Fed X employees qualify for-right?

All I ca do is give you my experience which could be way out of date since hubby has not been a Delta employee since 2006. We could not book specific staterooms, only guarantees for a specific category or better. It was a crap shoot on whether we got a good stateroom or not. I think we booked 3 cruises this way. We found we did not save that much either.

I think you are referring to travel agencies that specialize in last minute rates that only airline and Fed X employees qualify for-right?

All I ca do is give you my experience which could be way out of date since hubby has not been a Delta employee since 2006. We could not book specific staterooms, only guarantees for a specific category or better. It was a crap shoot on whether we got a good stateroom or not. I think we booked 3 cruises this way. We found we did not save that much either.

Just as there are Military Rates, over 55 Rates, it's the Interline rates I am indeed talking about.

For example, Holland America has 6 Inside categories(at least) listed for the sailing I am interested in, starting at 2600.00 (cheapest available to the general public)

HOWEVER, the cheapest available at the Interline rate is 1299. (Inside). Over 50% off current lowest available price.

Are all 6 Inside categories available (albeit with an up-charge to the next inside category) for Interline purchase? As a GTY in each category?

I agree, there a not fantastic bargains across the board, but there ARE some terrific deals.

Did you consider calling HAL and asking?

Might be the best place to get an answer.

HAL has an interline desk, I have a phone # & extension but not sure if it's OK to post the # here? Happy to do so if it doesn't violate any CC rules. It's not a # listed on their website, though I imagine if the OP called their general reservations line an agent could direct the call accordingly.

For our HAL cruise we got interline quotes from HAL & our TA then booked through our TA once he was able to secure an assigned cabin at the same price HAL quoted for the GTY. Hope that helps.

OP - you should be able to pick a specific category when booking with interline rates. There are normally different (interline) rates for different stateroom categories just like regular rates.

This is my experience as well (Princess) for a "last minute" booking (cruise booked two months from sailing), and my brother could only get one category on HAL a couple of years ago. We could only book guarantee. Both of us dealt with an interline agency though. I didn't know that you could call direct.

One thing to remember too are the port taxes and fees are not waived.

Raoul

Edited by CantSwim63

CantSwim63 and PRWeezer

Excellent info, just what I was looking for....

1. Didn't know you could call direct either..

2. I assumed port taxes and fees were just like a "regular" sale.

3. Some really attractive rates out there. A Silversea Med, for 2500, that is going for 4900 for non-interline. Makes some luxury cruises more "attainable".

CantSwim63 and PRWeezer

Excellent info, just what I was looking for....

1. Didn't know you could call direct either..

2. I assumed port taxes and fees were just like a "regular" sale.

3. Some really attractive rates out there. A Silversea Med, for 2500, that is going for 4900 for non-interline. Makes some luxury cruises more "attainable".

Happy to help. If it matters to you, cruise lines also vary on whether or not you get credit towards their elite/loyalty levels at interline rates...confirm accordingly if that's a priority for you.

Again, only if applicable to you: Per #3, Silversea's inclusive beverage policy is quite generous (IMHO) & another thing to keep in mind in comparison to other lines & final costs if applicable. Study up on the Silversea forum/website for details. :D

Edited by PRWeezer

Happy to help. If it matters to you, cruise lines also vary on whether or not you get credit towards their elite/loyalty levels at interline rates...confirm accordingly if that's a priority for you.

Again, only if applicable to you: Per #3, Silversea's inclusive beverage policy is quite generous (IMHO) & another thing to keep in mind in comparison to other lines & final costs if applicable. Study up on the Silversea forum/website for details. :D

Sorry if you know this already but a couple of pieces of advice.

Bump protection won't be needed if sailing out of Florida (assumption on my part), but unless you are flying confirmed or have access to loads or have lots of flex in your pre sail date then consider bump insurance so you at least get a "similar" vacation experience.

If you can book interline cruises then you should be able to book interline partner rates for hotels and rental cars as well, maybe even trains (which gives you numerous options to fly into and then get to port).

Again, not asked but provided just in case.

Raoul

Sorry if you know this already but a couple of pieces of advice.

Bump protection won't be needed if sailing out of Florida (assumption on my part), but unless you are flying confirmed or have access to loads or have lots of flex in your pre sail date then consider bump insurance so you at least get a "similar" vacation experience.

If you can book interline cruises then you should be able to book interline partner rates for hotels and rental cars as well, maybe even trains (which gives you numerous options to fly into and then get to port).

Again, not asked but provided just in case.

Raoul

DS is now working for an airline, so all the above, and flights are now available to me.

The flights, might not be an especially great deal, especially having to be somewhere on a certain date (plus with taxes and fees, not so great as the cruise deals).

I usually get regular trip insurance, is "bump" insurance available through the agency that I go through to book the cruise, or through a place like (insure my trip)??

Thanks!

This whole subject has me totally confused. I still don't know what "INTERLINE" means.

Hi Doris, sorry for speaking in code LOL. I will give you my "rookie" (only two years in the industry) take on describing the INTERLINE subject. People who work for airlines and service providers to airlines usually have travel benefits, such as buying standby tickets on their airline and sometimes on interline partners. Some travel providers figured out that these people are a great source of last minute travelers who might fill their otherwise empty rooms/cabins/tours etc. One of the biggest users of interline rates are the cruise lines and the discounts are significant because of the "last minute" nature of their offers. INTERLINE has expanded to the point that there are now interline and "family and friends" rates, and there are TAs that only handle interline deals. I hope that helps. Not trying to hijack the thread, but let me know if you have any questions. Raoul

DS is now working for an airline, so all the above, and flights are now available to me.

The flights, might not be an especially great deal, especially having to be somewhere on a certain date (plus with taxes and fees, not so great as the cruise deals).

I usually get regular trip insurance, is "bump" insurance available through the agency that I go through to book the cruise, or through a place like (insure my trip)??

Thanks!

One thing I have learned from others here is to make as many friends as possible with other airlines. So, tongue not completely in cheek, have your DS develop as many contacts with other airlines as possible, but really, keep your ears open to your relatives talking about DS/DD/DH/DW getting a new job with [insert airline/hotel/cruise/TA here]. Knowing the traffic patterns and having several phone numbers to arrange flights helps relieve a lot of the anxiety.

My Interline TA uses the term "Bump" insurance, so going to guess that you will be able to get it through your TA. I don't know if that would work if you go directly with the cruise line. Please note that I have no direct experience with using this, just second hand info/comments that "at least you got a good holiday" after missing sail away. And make sure your TA goes over the interline rate rules for what you are booking, especially if more than one cabin or travel employee is on different itinerary or not traveling together.

Raoul

Can't swim- you are basically correct-however, when hubby was an airline employee we did not "buy" standby tickets-we got to fly standby as much as we wanted. Sounds great huh? Well it is until you are stuck a couple of times. You see you only fly if seats are unsold.

Hubby would be given 8 passes every year to share with friends, and all our friends wanted them. Now a standby pass you do pay so many cents per mile so they are not free for friends. (as an employee/dependent we had plastic credit size looking cards for us-different from the passes)

Hubby would explain how the passes worked, but people were still gungho on them-but when they got stuck they were mad at him-lol! Of course hubby had told them such could happen and it may be better to fly a no frills airline where often the ticket was only a little more. He got very particular as to whom he would give those passes to-lol!

I do think though that Fed-X employees get passes and like the Delta employee friends' passes, they do pay for the benefit of flying standby too-but airline employees do not. you are probably thinking of that

BTW, we lost that "benefit" back in 2006. I do not mind one bit -lol!

Also, there are travel agencies that specialize in interline. I know, because hubby used to bring home the catalogs they dropped by his office. Yes it can be compared to a rate, like what is offered to military, seniors,etc. and yes like you said, they offer to airline employees, Fed ex employees, etc., because they can fly for little to no cost standby last minute.

I will say this, the first time we drove to Miami for a cruise was because we had bought one of these interline deals. Why did we drive? Because Delta ran a last minute sale and suddenly there was no way we could fly standby. Now our good friends who decided they wanted to go with us, also bought last minute too from a regular travel agent. They had no trouble flying as the travel agent also found them a great deal on a no frills airline. Who cares if you are offered a cup of coffee for a 90 minute flight-lol. (from Atlanta) I think,including what they paid for their flight, they only paid $200 a person more and heck their room was much better than ours as we had an obstructed balcony, across from the steward's storage area (noise very early in morning) next to Us. Their balcony was not obstructed and no problem with early morning noise.

Now the other time we used interline,we got a super deal on Disney Wonder. Our balcony (the size of suites on other lines) was across form the laundry room-which was supposed to be a negative, but we never heard noise from that and it was handy for us! Now that time we drove on purpose as we wanted to spend time in FL besides the cruise and it saved us renting a car.

Anyway, interline deals are a crap shoot-I do not miss that "benefit" either.

I notice in your posts here that you freely mention the interline rates, the dollar amounts, that you might be eligible to pay ... I have understood from other threads that interline-eligible travelerss are absolutely not permitted to discuss their applicable rates ... or losing the benefit could be a consequence. You might want to review the interline rate guidelines so as not to jeopardize the benefit for yourself and everyone else.

I notice in your posts here that you freely mention the interline rates, the dollar amounts, that you might be eligible to pay ... I have understood from other threads that interline-eligible travelerss are absolutely not permitted to discuss their applicable rates ... or losing the benefit could be a consequence. You might want to review the interline rate guidelines so as not to jeopardize the benefit for yourself and everyone else.

Very good advice.....when traveling non-revenue space available, on an airline, it is forbidden to let other traveler's know of your status (assuming you're not in uniform)....as a matter of fact, airlines have relaxed their NRSA dress codes, because everyone 'knew' you were an employee traveling standby if you were 'dressed up' on mostly leisure travel flights...;)

Very good advice.....when traveling non-revenue space available, on an airline, it is forbidden to let other traveler's know of your status (assuming you're not in uniform)....as a matter of fact, airlines have relaxed their NRSA dress codes, because everyone 'knew' you were an employee traveling standby if you were 'dressed up' on mostly leisure travel flights...;)

Many know anyway as you are boarded last. We always dressed up because it gave us a chance of getting 1st class / business class. If we were dressed in jeans-we could only get coach.

The flight attendants are aware also. I remember one trip when we were given first class seats and our neighbor was giving the flight attendant a hard time. He did not like such and such wine, please bring him another,etc.etc. etc. He was being a real jerk. She finally asked him "how long have you been working for Delta?" in a very sweet voice. That fixed him. He knew he was "caught." He stopped constantly bothering her to do this and that.

That is a no-no for non revenue employees BTW. You are not to ask for special treatment. If they offer you a glass of wine, you can accept, but you are not supposed to request that. If she had reported him he could have lost his flight privileges. Of course she should not have said that either, but the way he was harassing her, I could not blame her. Perhaps no first/business class seats were sold for that flight, and as we were all non revenue she decided did not matter.

My husband is a retired airline employee (able to retire at age 52) and, I've been nonrev for over 30 years. IF you don't have status- meaning high seniority, or specific "1" options, always arrive early to your destination, 2/3 days ahead. IF you are not flying with the employee, you are going to be way down the list, and likely won't get out easily to high demand areas. The employee has the ability to see the load lists. Problem is, many times, the list is subject to change, so never assume, just because the night before, you are number 3 with 10 open seats you are going to get on. :)

I book "regular" cruise lines, which interline rates have restrictions. You can not usually use prepaid, discounted cruise deposits, nor take advantage of stockholder benefits, or veteran bonuses.

In this particular case with a non "mega cruise", the benefit of non rev is significant. :)

You also usually can't take a lot of time, thinking about booking. :) As sometimes, these rates can be gone in hours.

As general comments about non rev travel- you must have the ability to make quick decisions regarding flights. I ship my bags to my destination. I carry a change of clothes, with me. I know all the options and routes I can take. My priority is to get as far as I can. Even with being listed #1, there are a LOT of full flights, and people wanting to get on them. (1984 seniority date), I've been in situations with 20 people listed with no seats available, Europe, Honolulu, Seattle are examples.

Good luck with your trip, and wishing many more for you. :)