Royal Balcony Doors Sliding Open

Beachdude

We had a problem of not being able to secure the sliding door shut from the outside while enjoying the balcony. As a result, the door would slide open as the ship leaned with the seas. We've never had this problem before as doors on other ships can be latched from the outside. Was this just a problem in our room B737, or do all the Royal doors have the same design? And if they do have the same design, how have some of you solve the problem of the door sliding open while sitting on the balcony?

Thanks

Burt

I think this is pretty common. Some of the doors are harder to open than others – or have a tight fit on the seals, so they don’t tend to slide. If you have an easy one, just close the door till the last 4 inches and pull the inside handle down to lock it in-place. You might not have it all the way closed, but it will stop it from sliding back and forth – and to go back in the room, just pull the handle back up and slide the door.

I think this is pretty common. Some of the doors are harder to open than others – or have a tight fit on the seals, so they don’t tend to slide. If you have an easy one, just close the door till the last 4 inches and pull the inside handle down to lock it in-place. You might not have it all the way closed, but it will stop it from sliding back and forth – and to go back in the room, just pull the handle back up and slide the door.

That's a pretty good idea there. Of course the open door police will have a fit, but given the choices of the door slamming open and shut as the ship moves back and forth, this is a good compromise solution.

Kind of funny, the ship staff likely gets complaints the doors are too easy to open or too hard. They can't win. Personally I like the Celebrity design better, When the handle is up, the door is on wheels and can be moved. When the handle is down, the wheels are retracted and the door is fixed where ever it sits.

Burt

Lol

On the old Regal we got locked out on our balcony and had to ask for help from some people a few decks down who were fortunately outside.

We never try to shut the door tight since then. I know ... AC issues.

Edited by gooch47

We also had the sliding door issue last week on the Royal (and have had on other ships in the past), and I used the method mentioned above: I simply closed the door about 99.9% of the way and then turned the handle down to engage the built-in "braking" mechanism. This way I didn't take a chance of locking myself out but kept the door from sliding. Hope that helps.

A question about balconies on Royal: Between adjoining balconies, is there a door that can be opened? (I think that was possible on Sapphire and/or Island.) We'll be traveling Dec. 8 with family and would like to be able to share that space.

A question about balconies on Royal: Between adjoining balconies, is there a door that can be opened? (I think that was possible on Sapphire and/or Island.) We'll be traveling Dec. 8 with family and would like to be able to share that space.

Yes, most doors between adjacent balconies can be opened. The exception would be if there is a bulkhead between the two cabins.

Lew

Yes, most doors between adjacent balconies can be opened. The exception would be if there is a bulkhead between the two cabins.
The bulkhead is easy to spot in the deck plans. There's a fire door marked in the hallway and the cabin number sequence changes (from the 100's to 200's, 200's to 300's, etc.)