Which Caribbean itinerary do you think is better?

zodiac6573

Hello again!

I've noticed there is quite a difference in Caribbean itineraries and I was wondering which one most people here would think was better for my partner and I. Again, we are in our early 40's, no kids.

Itinerary 1

Mon Nov 10 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:30pm

Tue Nov 11 At Sea

Wed Nov 12 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Nov 13 At Sea

Fri Nov 14 Cartagena, Colombia 7:00am 4:00pm

Sat Nov 15 Colon, Panama 8:00am 6:00pm

Sun Nov 16 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Nov 17 At Sea

Tue Nov 18 Belize City, Belize 9:30am 6:00pm

Wed Nov 19 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Nov 20 At Sea

Fri Nov 21 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

Itinerary 2

Thu Nov 13 Fort Lauderdale, FL 4:00pm

Fri Nov 14 At Sea

Sat Nov 15 At Sea

Sun Nov 16 St. Maarten 8:00am 3:00pm

Mon Nov 17 Soufriere Bay (Cruising)

Mon Nov 17 St. Lucia 5:00pm 6:00pm

Tue Nov 18 Barbados 8:00am 5:00pm

Wed Nov 19 Mount Pelee (Cruising)

Thu Nov 20 St. Kitts 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Nov 21 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Nov 22 At Sea

Sun Nov 23 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 8:00am 3:00pm

Mon Nov 24 Fort Lauderdale, FL 7:00am

Since I'm pretty clueless about the Caribbean it would be great to hear what people here think!

Both are excellent, but I would give a slight nod to the first option just because I particularly love Cartagena, Colon and Limon. Cartagena is maybe my favorite port of all time. The history, beauty and architecture of the old city is amazing! Colon itself isn't all that great but it serves a way to get to the Panama Canal for part of a day. And Limon, Costa Rica is also great. The rainforest is like being transported to another world and we met some of the friendliest people there.

I prefer the ports of option 2. Maybe you can read up on the ports of all and make your decision. based on what you feel you would enjoy seeing and then book the other area for your next Caribbean cruise. It's you cruise and only you can decide.

Get a guidebook on the Caribbean...see what all the places have to offer, and then make your decision about WHERE you want to go!

Or you can save the money and time and do your research very easily and comprehensively on line. No need to go out an get a guidebook.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As you can see from the previous posts, the answer is VERY subjective. No one can tell you which cruise would be best for YOU. I agree that the best thing you can do is do your own research on each of the ports and decide which ones appeal most to you.

Are both of these cruises with the same cruise line? If not, then you would also have to look closely at each of the lines/ships to see if the on board amenities are similar.

While ports can be very personal wheather you like them or not, I must agree nr. 2 is slightly more attractive.

But you might like the other ports better of course. Do some internet research to get a little in touch with each port and then you can decide.

HAL has a very nice option on the website to read some info on every port as well as the excursions in that port. Maybe that way you can see which sailing is more to your taste.

Both are excellent, but I would give a slight nod to the first option just because I particularly love Cartagena, Colon and Limon. Cartagena is maybe my favorite port of all time. The history, beauty and architecture of the old city is amazing! Colon itself isn't all that great but it serves a way to get to the Panama Canal for part of a day. And Limon, Costa Rica is also great. The rainforest is like being transported to another world and we met some of the friendliest people there.
I agree. You've stated it perfectly. We were blown away by Cartagena. We've only been there once. Perhaps we were so impressed because we had lesser expectations. The skyline is magnificent while the city was spotlessly clean and modern. We booked our excursion through the ship as we thought we'd err on the side of caution. That was such a huge mistake. We stopped at a roadside flea market for all of 15 to 20 minutes. It was intriguing with magnificent artwork and piecework wall hangings. We'd love to go back and hire a private driver as we didn't even skim the surface.

Thank you to everyone for their help with this one. Unfortunately it ended up being our jobs that made the decision for us! Due to dates and the amount of time we have off, it looks like we are taking the first option.

I won't lie - I was more keen on the second one as I wasn't sure if some of the destinations on the second were safe. But we are going with an open mind, on the Celebrity Equinox

I never considered visiting the Panama Canal but everyone here seems to speak highly of it. And the cave tubing in Belize sounds like a great day out. Now all we have to do is pay for the cruise, and count down the days!

We are still wondering whether paying the extra money for a suite is worth it, since you're basically just in your room to sleep?

Here's some of our past trips but this will be our first time on a cruise: http://blog.travelpod.com/members/andrewjerome

I'd pick #2, but that is because I'm not a fan of Mexico, Caymans, or Columbia.

Dates, cruise line, and price would be a factor however.

Oh oops, looks like you picked #1. That'll be fun, Panama is great.

Edited by Lerin