Hal pcc

Yodalicious

Yes to both. We love our PCC. In 11 years we've had two and been extremely satisfied with both. We have gotten numerous upgrades and assume our PCC had something to do with it.

We also get OBC and perks depending on the length of the cruise.

Do you use a PCC to book, and has that helped you get an upgrade or upsell?

Yes to both. We love our PCC. In 11 years we've had two and been extremely satisfied with both. We have gotten numerous upgrades and assume our PCC had something to do with it.

We also get OBC and perks depending on the length of the cruise.

We've drifted away from HAL but when we were cruising with them almost exclusively we unfortunately did not have the same experience as Kakalina. We tried two or three HAL PCCs and, call it the luck of the draw, none were that helpful. We decided it was better for us to use an Internet based TA who gave us good service and great discounts.

We have done quite well without a PCC, and also saved thousands of dollars (sometimes on a single cruise) by simply shopping around for the best price. Just to give you an example (which can be checked at this minute), we recently booked a 38 day cruise on the Oosterdam. The TA we used is giving us a $1575 on board credit. If we had booked that same cabin with our PCC we would not have received any OBC. Perhaps our best example was a Grand Cruise on the Prinsendam. By shopping around we were able to save over $3000. If you do not care about saving money then by all means use a PCC...or simply call HAL and book with whoever answers the phone (as good as using a PCC).

Hank

We also have never used a PCC, although one reached out to us several times. Like Hank, we always seem to do better with one large online agency, resulting in better price and some OBC. Our upcoming Noordam cruise will be our first on Holland in several years though.

I got our own upsell on this cruise by calling the TA several times. It may have been less expensive if the offer had come from a PCC, but i know we paid less for our initial booking than HAL was offering, at least $1400 less for a ten day cruise. I feel we got a very good price for an SS.

I'm one of those people who enjoys obsessing over the planning of our cruises. Because of that, we have found our PCC to be an invaluable asset. My questions are always answered honestly, promptly and, I believe, with our best interests in mind. He's been a big help to us in deciding specific itineraries, cabin selection questions, pricing, upgrade options, etc. On several occasions he's been our advocate in resolving to our satisfaction some non-standard issues we've had. I doubt an on-line agency or TA could have done it. Could I get a less expensive price elsewhere? Perhaps. But, to me, the outstanding service and confidence our PCC gives us is more important. JMHO.

I am of the opinion that a HAL PCC works for the company, has quotas to meet and is limited in what he/she can offer without getting authorization from a supervisor.

An independent travel agent (no, I am not one) is trying to make a commission and represents the client more than the cruise line.

I am of the opinion that a HAL PCC works for the company, has quotas to meet and is limited in what he/she can offer without getting authorization from a supervisor.

An independent travel agent (no, I am not one) is trying to make a commission and represents the client more than the cruise line.

My TA has never done a darn thing for me. That why I fired her and went with a PCC. Thx to cruise critic, I feel I know more than enough to handle my own bookings. I'm not fond of the idea of using a Florida online booker that may or may not be shady. Everyone has their own comfort level.

My TA has never done a darn thing for me. That why I fired her and went with a PCC. Thx to cruise critic, I feel I know more than enough to handle my own bookings. I'm not fond of the idea of using a Florida online booker that may or may not be shady. Everyone has their own comfort level.

My exact experience as well!

At least my PCC seems to be able to go the extra mile and has gotten me several things that I doubt my TA ever would have, through knowing who to talk to at HAL.

DaveOKC

At least my PCC seems to be able to go the extra mile and has gotten me several things that I doubt my TA ever would have, through knowing who to talk to at HAL.

DaveOKC

I agree with lorekauf and daveokc. I book outside cabins and when I have looked at online TAs I have been quoted the same price as my PCC within a few (less than 50) dollars. None of the online TAs have offered any benefits.

I am on my third PCC, the first two left the company for various reasons. All have gone the extra mile for me. Today I was able to upgrade for a modest amount. I don't think a TA could do any better.

Rich

DaveOKC

I guess we have all had different experiences. I have never dealt with a PCC so I may be wrong in assuming that one could do very little more for me than the onboard future cruise consultant can do. I do deal with a large online travel agency but only do so by phone and e-mail with one dedicated agent (my own personal PCC like). I have never booked directly from their website. Both times I have talked to onboard cruise consultants about future cruises and showed them the price/perks I could get from my TA they were flabbergasted and said I could not do better anywhere. I only use the onboard consultants to obtain the future cruise credits.

Edited by taxmantoo

I/We couldn't agree with you more!!! We used on once but never again! She did nothing for us except look after her own commission. Our TA's, and we have a couple, have gone above and beyond, and truly listened to us. One in particular has helped us with upsells :D:D:D

I've tried a couple of PCCs a few times.

Each time I was offered the cruise at the HAL website pricing with no OBC, etc. With a by-phone agency in our area, I was able to get the same price or a lower price, with or without OBC, Pinnacle dinners, etc.

I could not really see why pay more and/or receive no perks to deal with a PCC.

Both PCCs seemed to be not too interested. I guess you have to build up some business with a particular PCC.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I guess we have all had different experiences. I have never dealt with a PCC so I may be wrong in assuming that one could do very little more for me than the onboard future cruise consultant can do. I do deal with a large online travel agency but only do so by phone and e-mail with one dedicated agent (my own personal PCC like). I have never booked directly from their website. Both times I have talked to onboard cruise consultants about future cruises and showed them the price/perks I could get from my TA they were flabbergasted and said I could not do better anywhere. I only use the onboard consultants to obtain the future cruise credits.

I think you are confusing the onboard cruise consultants with the personal cruise consultants (PCC). The PCCs are based in Seattle and work over the phone with you. They are very similiar to traditional travel agents.

We are often shocked about the large group of folks that are happy to book direct with HAL. On a short cruise (less then 10 days) we understand that it might not make much difference to use a TA . But once you get to longer more expensive cruises the savings are substantial. If I show somebody how they can save over $1000 by booking with a TA...they might say....."yes, we know we can save over $1000, but we still like our PCC." Go figure :)

Hank

Do you use a PCC to book, and has that helped you get an upgrade or upsell?

For our cruise starting on the 30th, we booked about a month ago online with HAL and received 2 upsell emails from them in the last two weeks. No PCC help or involvement.

We are often shocked about the large group of folks that are happy to book direct with HAL. On a short cruise (less then 10 days) we understand that it might not make much difference to use a TA . But once you get to longer more expensive cruises the savings are substantial. If I show somebody how they can save over $1000 by booking with a TA...they might say....."yes, we know we can save over $1000, but we still like our PCC." Go figure :)

Hank

I have a 27 day cruise booked with a PCC. When I checked with a couple of online TA's the price quoted was approximately the same as I paid HAL. Again booking outside cabins (inexpensive) is most likely the difference.

For our cruise starting on the 30th, we booked about a month ago online with HAL and received 2 upsell emails from them in the last two weeks. No PCC help or involvement.

I know that the general reservations department gives good service. However, I like having a contact point for personal service.

Rich

I have a 27 day cruise booked with a PCC. When I checked with a couple of online TA's the price quoted was approximately the same as I paid HAL. Again booking outside cabins (inexpensive) is most likely the difference..

Rich

I am glad to see that you did the price comparison. It seems that many who tout PCC's or travel agents do not. Note that online agencies frequently offer better prices by phone than what they list on their websites.

I would think that suite passengers that pay $20,000 or more for a cruise would do a little comparison shopping. A fifteen minute phone call that saves you $1,500 is like earning $6,000 per hour. I have been pleased with more modest earnings of $400 per hour.

I am glad to see that you did the price comparison. It seems that many who tout PCC's or travel agents do not. Note that online agencies frequently offer better prices by phone than what they list on their websites.

I would think that suite passengers that pay $20,000 or more for a cruise would do a little comparison shopping. A fifteen minute phone call that saves you $1,500 is like earning $6,000 per hour. I have been pleased with more modest earnings of $400 per hour.

Yes, I do watch the prices. In the past I have tried the site that allows various TAs to bid for your business, gone to several of the "big" TAs and I check the "fish" site for changes. I actually used a TA for 3 of my cruises, one a TA in the town I lived in at the time who was recommended by a friend for 2 cruise and the other the mother of a friend. In both cases I got pretty much the same price. No perks from either one. The first (2 cruises) didn't seem interested in trying for more business.

As in everything else, YMMV. For those that have a good TA that they like and gives them discounts, more power to you. For others, the same TA might not be so good.

Each PCC I have talked to seemed to be genuinely interested in making sure that I had what I needed. That includes the PCCs who have assisted me when my PCC was not available.

Count us in as cruisers who shop for the best deal. It helps that we ask a TA to do nothing more than book the cruise. By the time we make the purchase decision we've picked the itinerary, the date, and at least the cabin category if not the specific cabin. We always fly in at least the day before a US based cruise and at least two days ahead for and pick and book our own flights, hotels, and transfer transportation. We started booking with Internet based agencies almost ten years ago now and we've saved thousands of dollars in true discounted prices not free Pinnacle dinners, bottles of wine, or small OBCs. The day we stop getting our typical 10-12% discounts I guess we'll reconsider.

Perhaps I should have clarified one of my earlier posts. With HAL having imposed a lot of price controls upon TAs (if they want to do business with HAL they are not supposed to cut prices) it can be difficult to find different pricing on cruises. But the big difference comes with On Board Credits. On nearly all of our HAL bookings we can easily find TAs offering OBCs that generally range from 8 - 10% off the cruise price (not including taxes and fees). For example, on a very recent booking we just completed, am approximate $14,000 total cruise cost (sold at the exact same price on the HAL site). Anyone that does not find OBCs in that 8-10% range is just not looking very hard.

So the question regarding PCCs should not be "how much do you like your PCC" but rather "how much are you willing to pay to use a PCC?"

This brings up another question. About 5 years ago we decided to call Princess Cruise Lines ( we cruise on many different lines) and ask them if they would match a price that was available from a major online cruise agency. At the time we thought it might be nice to book directly with the cruise line. The Princess rep told us that they would not match the TAs price/package. They also told me that the TA was authorized to sell at that lower price (plus OBCs) by Princess. They further explained that Princess did not want to undercut the TAs since they prize getting their business and referrals. We suspect that HAL has the same attitude. The large OBCs offered (for HA cruises) by many TAs are generally authorized by HAL and yet HAL will not match those very same deals. There are also some other TAs who will cut their own commissions to provide some extras for their customers....but this is an entirely different issue.

One last comment about Cruise Agencies. We only deal with major cruise agencies who are linked to the cruise line computer systems. When you book with this type of TA you will get an immediate booking number and your payments will be processed by the cruise line...not the TA. In the case of the major cruise lines like HAL, we can book a cruise with our TA and immediately find the reservation on the HAL web site. We always suggest that fellow cruisers carefully check-out any TA to make sure they are reputable. One can do some research on the internet to check on agencies and its also quite easy to do a Better Business Bureau check on any agency.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner