ROYAL PRINCESS - A Different Perspective

eroller

I used the showers once in the fitness area and saw NO steam options. In fact, I felt like Princess designed the area to discourage using the showers.

Burt

They looked like regular showers to me. I did look inside to see if there was a steam setting but I didn't see any. Maybe I missed it?

I'm not a fan of the fitness center being so far away from the spa, and I also prefer free steam and sauna in the changing room. Not a deal breaker but certainly a preference.

Ernie

I don't think so, we noticed our thermostat was at the lowest setting when we first entered the room and it was never cool the whole week, even in the middle of the night.

Burt

We were lucky, no a/c issues in the cabin. We did keep the thermostat at the lowest setting most of the time, and it would get down to about 68 degrees. I always travel with a small travel clock/alarm that includes a temperature reading.

Ernie

They looked like regular showers to me. I did look inside to see if there was a steam setting but I didn't see any. Maybe I missed it?

I'm not a fan of the fitness center being so far away from the spa, and I also prefer free steam and sauna in the changing room. Not a deal breaker but certainly a preference.

Ernie

Nope, you didn't miss anything, there aren't any steam options. And I agree with you, steam saunas near the fitess areas are amenities I enjoy with cruise ships. I won't say it's a deal breaker, but it is one reason I will consider other ships when shopping for a cruise.

Burt

Nope, you didn't miss anything, there aren't any steam options. And I agree with you, steam saunas near the fitess areas are amenities I enjoy with cruise ships. I won't say it's a deal breaker, but it is one reason I will consider other ships when shopping for a cruise.

Burt

Probably my favorite fitness centers along with the Spa and free steam and saunas are on Royal Caribbean's Voyager & Freedom Class ships. Awesome facilities.

Unfortunately almost every new ship from every cruise line is eliminating the free steam and sauna. It's the trend so that you are forced to pay for a coed thermal suite facility.

Ernie

I don't think so, we noticed our thermostat was at the lowest setting when we first entered the room and it was never cool the whole week, even in the middle of the night.

Burt

Were you in a portside cabin? Seems that is where the a/c problems are. I`m booked for 1/5 & changed my cabin to the odd side lower deck.

HI Gordon! Long time, no hear. Haven't been on the Celebrity Cruises forum for a while, nor the RCI forum. Guess the Quantum of the Seas must be keeping everyone busy over there. Are you booked yet?

Hey David. I'm spending more time on the X board. I may try Quantum down the road when I see an itinerary that I like. Have fun on the RP.:)

Ernie, did you notice if there were LGBT meetings on your sailing of the Royal Princess?

Absolutely! In fact I attending whenever it was offered. They are not as good as they used to be on Princess, as Princess used to even have a host and a glass of champagne on the first gathering. On RP, no gathering was offered until the 3rd night which I was disappointed with. They did have it every night thereafter. Sometimes it was in The Wheelhouse, sometimes Crooners, and a few times at the Horizon Terrace which was nice.

Ernie

Absolutely! In fact I attending whenever it was offered. They are not as good as they used to be on Princess, as Princess used to even have a host and a glass of champagne on the first gathering. On RP, no gathering was offered until the 3rd night which I was disappointed with. They did have it every night thereafter. Sometimes it was in The Wheelhouse, sometimes Crooners, and a few times at the Horizon Terrace which was nice.

Ernie

Yes I remember how great they used to be with free sparkling wine. It really seems to be up to the CD whether or not they provide these kinds of things or not. Good to know that they are scheduling the meetings none the less.

By the way, I just finished looking at all your photos, you have a good eye. I see some things on the ship that I hadn't in any photos previously, so thanks again.:D

To the 4 passengers who did not have the courtesy on Thursday night to cancel your reservations for the winemakers dinner you have missed a wonderful experience with Davide our exclusive maître D. We were a party of 5 all my family & the only ones that attended. Sad that many were not able due to attend as the table was only set for 9, with the 4 absent, we had the table alone. Would highly recommend it. A great event for $40.

By the way, I just finished looking at all your photos, you have a good eye. I see some things on the ship that I hadn't in any photos previously, so thanks again.:D

You're welcome! I do try to capture some areas that are not always typically photographed.

Ernie

As always, a really extensive and comprehensive review just like the one you did recently on the Queen Elizabeth. Love your professional-looking photos and your positive attitude. What's next??

Thanks so much. Very kind of you!

Next up is back on the QUEEN ELIZABETH in January. It's the first leg of the world cruise from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale. I wish I could stay on for the entire trip!

Ernie

To the 4 passengers who did not have the courtesy on Thursday night to cancel your reservations for the winemakers dinner you have missed a wonderful experience with Davide our exclusive maître D. We were a party of 5 all my family & the only ones that attended. Sad that many were not able due to attend as the table was only set for 9, with the 4 absent, we had the table alone. Would highly recommend it. A great event for $40.

My DW and I attended a winemakers dinner two nights before yours and there were two empty seats. I actually spoke with Davide, who worked the Symphony MDR, the last evening and gave him our impressions about the dinner which was excellent, btw. Davide mentioned the missing guests and was really upset about that because others may have wanted to attend but could not get a reservation. Davide will be suggesting to management that if you have a reservation and do not show up, that they be charged at least $20 for the inconvenience. Good idea. A lot of upscale restaurants do the same thing for no shows. He also did not know if other ships, besides Regal, will offer such an event. I would do it again. A word of advice thought, do not drink before hand because the wine flows like water.

Bill

My DW and I attended a winemakers dinner two nights before yours and there were two empty seats. I actually spoke with Davide, who worked the Symphony MDR, the last evening and gave him our impressions about the dinner which was excellent, btw. Davide mentioned the missing guests and was really upset about that because others may have wanted to attend but could not get a reservation. Davide will be suggesting to management that if you have a reservation and do not show up, that they be charged at least $20 for the inconvenience. Good idea. A lot of upscale restaurants do the same thing for no shows. He also did not know if other ships, besides Regal, will offer such an event. I would do it again. A word of advice thought, do not drink before hand because the wine flows like water.

Bill

Davide was fantastic, I am booked again for 01/05 sailing & hope to attend again. Our menu consisted of white bean soup w/lobster, gnoochi, & filet mignon. Was yours different?

One of the things that appeals to me about the Royal Princess is the colour scheme. I wasn't around in the 50's, but that was about 60 years ago, and colour schemes for decorating do come and go, like all types of fashions.

Other princess ships, and their colour schemes, look quite dated to me. Neutrals are very 'in' right now for interiors - homes, restaurants, etc. - but my mother-in-law can't understand why few people now decorate their homes (or ships) with '80's seafoam green and pink :)

Thanks Ernie for a terrific review, and wonderful photos.

You are correct that those are mainly the colors. Very neutral for the most part but overall I quite liked the result. Far more tired looking to me are the pastels used on the older Princess ships that look like leftovers from the 80's.

Ernie

Ernie, thanks for the photos. The theater looks great but the chair situation is troubling.

Overall, the color scheme of the ship seems to be "50 shades of brown, tan and beige".;)

One of the things that appeals to me about the Royal Princess is the colour scheme. I wasn't around in the 50's, but that was about 60 years ago, and colour schemes for decorating do come and go, like all types of fashions.

I also love the colors. They are classy.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review are the free e-postcards you can send to friends back home right from your smart phone or tablet. This is a fun way to let friends at home know you're having a great time, and to include any personal message that you want. Best of all it's free. Think of it as a free email message that includes a picture from the cruise. You have around 4-6 pictures to choose from. I believe you can also send the free e-postcard from the Internet center but I alway did it from my iPhone.

Once onboard, connect your device to the onboard wifi. Then go to royal.princess.com on your browser and you will have access to the entire Royal Princess app.

Ernie

What is this area?[ATTACH]294454[/ATTACH]

I believe it's referred to on the Deck Plan as a "Teen Open Area" on Deck 17, port side. We noticed it was usually filled with adults despite the signs on the doors saying kids only. Mind you, on our Nov 10 trip, there weren't more than a few teenagers on the entire boat anyway