Fort Lauderdale port? North, mid or South port?

GLCAS

I was wondering where the HAL ships park in Fort Lauderdale? North, Mid or South port? Do they always go in the same spots? We are looking at hotels and would like one where we can walk to when we get off the ship.

HAL docks futherest from any hotel area, most of the time. Mostly in the south port area.

As discussed on the Florida Departures board, only perhaps Terminal 2 can walk out, and walking in the port area isn't easy or safe. HAL typically docks at Terminal 26 and 27, occasionally at 29 and 18.

Lets get real! You are spending big bucks to go on a cruise and you are going to wimp-out on a taxi fare that should be less then $20? There are also numerous hotels that provide free or low cost shuttle service to the port (some even have service from the port).

Hank

Lets get real! You are spending big bucks to go on a cruise and you are going to wimp-out on a taxi fare that should be less then $20? There are also numerous hotels that provide free or low cost shuttle service to the port (some even have service from the port).

Hank

Why do you have to equate it with being cheap and not spending a few bucks? I'm thinking particularly of the Vancouver port where it is so very easy to walk to the hotels, and perhaps the OP is imagining that Port Everglades is the same. Unfortunately not, so a taxi or shuttle would be the best option.

I was wondering where the HAL ships park in Fort Lauderdale? North, Mid or South port? Do they always go in the same spots? We are looking at hotels and would like one where we can walk to when we get off the ship.

It will be far enough away from hotels that pulling luggage could be very inconvenient. You could lug a bag with wheels but it's not particularly easy to do. This is a large port area!

HAL typically docks at piers 26, 21, 19, 27 and 29 in that order, all in the mid-port area. I've never known a HAL ship to use 18, at least since it was remodeled for RCCL Oasis and Allure about 4 years ago.

OP, CLICK HERE for a map, and about a week before your cruise CLICK HERE to find out which pier you will be using.

Edited by jtl513

Hank

Maybe the OP has some disability that prevents him/her from taking a taxi. Taxi phobia for example ? $$$ is not always the reason IMO. But I respect your views. Thank you Hank.

Edited by Thebes

$$$ is not always the reason IMO.
In some ports you can stay at a hotel within a very easy walk, and it is convenient to not have to wait for a taxi or shuttle. In San Diego, if you are staying at the Holiday Inn across the street post-cruise a taxi is downright silly! I think the OP just didn't realize how large Port Everglades is.

The Ft Lauderdale ports are safe as far as crime is concerned. But this is also a freight port and thus very busy. It can get congested with taxi's, cars, buses, tractor trailers bringing supplies to the ships as well as off loading trailers from freighters.

And it is quite a walk from the hotels to the ships and vice versa as you can not cut through the areas where the freighters dock.

It is too dangerous to walk in the port.

Best bet is to take a taxi.

Keith

With all of the traffic including industrial traffic it really is not very safe to walk and if you have your luggage too that complicates it further.

I love to walk but would just take a taxi.

Keith

So, this is just your personal opinion, whereas someone else may state that it not too dangerous to walk in the port, (according to their own personal level of safety)! ;)

What ship will you be on?

HAL uses several piers in Ft Lauderdale.

And just because you leave from one pier doesn't mean that you will arrive back at the same pier.

Just a couple examples -- one time we left from pier 25 but arrived back at pier 21. Another time we left from 26 and arrived back at 29. This past spring the left from pier 26 to do a 1 week cruise but arrived back at pier 4. Buses were used to get people back towards the pier 26 area where they had parked their cars in the garage there.

So, this is just your personal opinion, whereas someone else may state that it not too dangerous to walk in the port, (according to their own personal level of safety)! ;)
Much of everything posted on this forum is personal opinion. ;) IMO the walk from pier 26 to 17th St is not particularly dangerous, but it is much too long to pull suitcases ... about a mile and 3/4, or a bit less if it's possible to cut through the mid-port garage and past pier 19. Edited by jtl513

The main business at this port are container ships and oilers. There are many oil storage tanks around. Also in cruise season (not summer) there are quite a few passengers using the port with taxis, buses and confused car drivers. Just around a disembarking ship there is quite a bit going on with people leaving, arriving, crew coming and going. Forklift crews going backward with their beep beep beep. Take a taxi , be safe and rested.

As others have said, it is congested and at least a mile to walk to 17th street. Nobody mentioned the heat. Pulling suitcases over a mile in the Florida heat and humidity is not the most appealing way to end a cruise.

While we have occasionally seen people walking to the pier right off of 17th Street, we have never noticed anyone intrepid enough to brave the traffic and heat to make the long walk to the mid port area----- or leaving on foot.

I agree with comments about San Diego and Vancouver where the hotels are literally either right next to the pier or across the street. If you are pulling your luggage there, walking is a no brainer----but not in Fort Lauderdale. :eek:

I have walked from Princess cruises terminal 2 to the 17th Street area and that was hectic enough crossing the streets. I would never walk from the midport area to 17th Street where the hotels are located.

The area is very industrial with no sidewalks along the port roads. There are huge oil holding tanks and tractor trailers going in and out. The is a working port not just a cruise port. So even if you could walk a mile toting your luggage would you want to walk on the same road with trucks, busses and taxis everywhere?

For safety sake, take a taxi as they are very reasonably priced and you will be at your hotel in no time.

Would port security even allow someone walking around the port? Lugging backpacks etc.
Yes. Coming in they would need to present some kind of ID and maybe a boarding pass, but leaving and going to a hotel would not be questioned.

Edited by jtl513

As others have said, it is congested and at least a mile to walk to 17th street. Nobody mentioned the heat. Pulling suitcases over a mile in the Florida heat and humidity is not the most appealing way to end a cruise.

While we have occasionally seen people walking to the pier right off of 17th Street, we have never noticed anyone intrepid enough to brave the traffic and heat to make the long walk to the mid port area----- or leaving on foot.

I agree with comments about San Diego and Vancouver where the hotels are literally either right next to the pier or across the street. If you are pulling your luggage there, walking is a no brainer----but not in Fort Lauderdale. :eek:

Thank you Sapper and thank you everyone for explaining. When people said its unsafe, what came to my mind is drugs and guns. Never pictured the transportation aspect.