Final Payment coming up...advice??

Hi everyone. My family's first cruise is this spring. I know that our final payment will be due in the next 45 days. I wanted to hear from Royal Caribbean customers what it is important to know/do before that final payment. I feel like I am missing something, but I don't know what? (maybe I have read too much and there is a lot of cruise information stuck in my brain???):o

Thank you for any and all advice on this! I just don't want to make any newbie mistakes! You seasoned cruisers have proven to be very valuable. :cool:

Hi everyone. My family's first cruise is this spring. I know that our final payment will be due in the next 45 days. I wanted to hear from Royal Caribbean customers what it is important to know/do before that final payment. I feel like I am missing something, but I don't know what? (maybe I have read too much and there is a lot of cruise information stuck in my brain???):o

Thank you for any and all advice on this! I just don't want to make any newbie mistakes! You seasoned cruisers have proven to be very valuable. :cool:

When payment is due, pay it....is all I can say....up until you make your final payment -- if there was some type of price drop for your cabin reservation, you could take advantage of it....but when final payment is due, it's due.

There is no advantage to paying early and giving them your money sooner than necessary.

I agree with cb at Sea. The most important thing to remember is to make that payment.

Perhaps that IS the advantage to making the payment early; it ensures you don't forget. ..

For example, we just sailed the Allure from Nov 10 to 17. With all the excitement and preparations for that cruise, I totally forgot to make the final payment on our next cruise. I didn't want to pay way early, but I got so busy that I forgot to do it before we left to the Allure... Unfortunately the due date for the next one fell on the day we came home from the Allure. If I hadn't found time to check my e-mails late that evening, I would likely have missed the day entirely, as my next few days were jammed packed with things to do. I might never have seen the reminders that came from our TA, while we were out of town, until it was too late.

It's hard to think that you might ever forget, but it can happen.

Edited by Gayle V

I usually buy insurance just before I make final payment. I don't buy insurance til my money or loss thereof could happen due to illness or life in general. Also if you buy it before final payment is made then pre-existing conditions are usually covered. Other than that, get ready to pack, you will be on your way soon. As you are getting off the Jewel, I will be getting on.

Also, don't forget to do your set-sail pass and once final payment is made you can then print it out. At about 45 days before sailing you will get your cruise contract documents which will also include your luggage tags. They are usually at the back of the contract pages. You don't need the contract to board and it is a boring read but I usually spot read it.

Don't wait for RC or your TA to remind you that the final payment is due. Take that responsibility. Your invoice will have final payment date on it. Set up a reminder so that you don't forget.

I actually like to pay a few weeks ahead of time. Then if there is any type of problem, it can be taken care of quickly.

Enjoy your cruise.

I usually buy insurance just before I make final payment. I don't buy insurance til my money or loss thereof could happen due to illness or life in general. Also if you buy it before final payment is made then pre-existing conditions are usually covered. Other than that, get ready to pack, you will be on your way soon. As you are getting off the Jewel, I will be getting on.

Also, don't forget to do your set-sail pass and once final payment is made you can then print it out. At about 45 days before sailing you will get your cruise contract documents which will also include your luggage tags. They are usually at the back of the contract pages. You don't need the contract to board and it is a boring read but I usually spot read it.

I'm curious about the possibility of being able to get insurance that waives pre-existing conditions just before final payment.

Our understanding was that insurance through RCI does not waive pre-existing, which to them I think means anything for which you have seen a doctor in the past 60 days (although I'm trusting to memory, I didn't verify that tonight).

Our TA gets us insurance through another company that does waive pre-existing conditions, but only if you purchase it within 10 days of booking.

We'd love to know a way to wait until close to the time of final payment to purchase insurance - we have a cruise booked for December, 2014, for which we bought insurance several months ago. Any help will be appreciated.

Yep, first and foremost, do no forget to make the payment!

If you are able to transfer the reservation to a travel agent that is offering onboard credit or some other perk, it is time (or past time) to do this!

Make any onboard reservations that you absolutely must have...ie..dinning or show reservations!

Firm up any shore excursions that you may have.

Above all be ready to have a great time!

RCCL locks your cruise documents about 5 days out, so make sure you print everything you need (set sail pass, etc.) before then;).

You can get insurance that covers pre-existing at final pay, but you will pay for it:(. We do like the PP and only buy when final pay rolls around, but I have friends who travel with us who have parents who are sick, so I have advised them to purchase when they book. I always use insuremytrip.com and have found great rates.

You can get insurance that covers pre-existing at final pay, but you will pay for it:(.

It depends on the insurance. As an agent, we have access to outside companies who waive the pre existing condition clause if you pay before final. The only caveat is that everyone has to be in "able to sail" condition when you purchase...so if you buy right before final, the sailing individuals, plus anyone who "might" create an issue that would cause the sailing individuals to invoke the policy, would have to be medically stable and able to cruise, or medically stable and the belief that there would be no reason at that time to suspect the person to have a serious enough issue to cause the sailing individuals to invoke insurance when they plan to travel. If someone has famiily with a medical condition, and at the time of final the drs are saying the person only has 3 months and there is a very real possibility of cancelling, then even this type of insurance will deny (as the timing was a reality at purchase).

This particular insurance is no more expensive than others.

I'm curious about the possibility of being able to get insurance that waives pre-existing conditions just before final payment.

Our understanding was that insurance through RCI does not waive pre-existing, which to them I think means anything for which you have seen a doctor in the past 60 days (although I'm trusting to memory, I didn't verify that tonight).

Our TA gets us insurance through another company that does waive pre-existing conditions, but only if you purchase it within 10 days of booking.

We'd love to know a way to wait until close to the time of final payment to purchase insurance - we have a cruise booked for December, 2014, for which we bought insurance several months ago. Any help will be appreciated.

Travel Guard - you can go the website and review all their conditions and get a quote.

JUST MAKE THAT FINAL PAYMENT ON TIME! I'm told that the cabins are released back into inventory if you aren't paid in full on the due date. I believe that RCI will e-mail you and/or call you with a reminder as you get close to the date, but PLEASE don't rely on that. Aside from that, don't worry...get ready to have a fantastic voyage! :cool:

At about 45 days before sailing you will get your cruise contract documents which will also include your luggage tags. They are usually at the back of the contract pages. You don't need the contract to board and it is a boring read but I usually spot read it.

Is that the "Cruise Documentation" I keep seeing a link to check the "status" of? My SetSail passes are ready to print now (if only my printer agreed!) but the Cruise Documentation has been making me wonder.

JUST MAKE THAT FINAL PAYMENT ON TIME! I'm told that the cabins are released back into inventory if you aren't paid in full on the due date. I believe that RCI will e-mail you and/or call you with a reminder as you get close to the date, but PLEASE don't rely on that. Aside from that, don't worry...get ready to have a fantastic voyage! :cool:

Unless, of course, their website is having issues. Like the repeated emails I got THIS month telling me that my final payment was due 1/12/13. Um, January? Hmm. The real due date was 11/12/13 but not according to official emails! So keep track of it on your own.

Is that the "Cruise Documentation" I keep seeing a link to check the "status" of? My SetSail passes are ready to print now (if only my printer agreed!) but the Cruise Documentation has been making me wonder.

Unless, of course, their website is having issues. Like the repeated emails I got THIS month telling me that my final payment was due 1/12/13. Um, January? Hmm. The real due date was 11/12/13 but not according to official emails! So keep track of it on your own.

The "Cruise Documentation" will contain the luggage tag to print but, you can also print it from the set sail page.

I and TA were on the phone for 3 hours trying to find out why docs weren't updated with the upgrades and also why no docs have been generated for two cruises 2 weeks out when they are suppose to be at 49 days. The doc department couldn't get them reissued today and the 2nd cruise of the two still doesn't have docs issued.:eek:

I asked what I was suppose to do without the docs. I was told I didn't really need them. So why do they do them??

Also OP I make sure one last time the price hasn't dropped and make final payment at the last minute to get any last deals. Not that is does much good as the deals start after final payment.

Edited by PINEVIEW01

Also OP I make sure one last time the price hasn't dropped and make final payment at the last minute to get any last deals. Not that is does much good as the deals start after final payment.

Here is the problem with that. With our family of 5 we opted for a suite, however RCCL only allows 4 on a reservation and the 5th person is separate. This makes for it to be impossible to rate shop. I have two separate reservations in a family suite. None of this is advertised, so I cannot possibly know if there is a rate drop. If I call RCCL, they immediately ask if we have a previous reservation or are working with a TA. In other words, we paid for our suite and there is no way to get a better rate...:(

Here is the problem with that. With our family of 5 we opted for a suite, however RCCL only allows 4 on a reservation and the 5th person is separate. This makes for it to be impossible to rate shop. I have two separate reservations in a family suite. None of this is advertised, so I cannot possibly know if there is a rate drop. If I call RCCL, they immediately ask if we have a previous reservation or are working with a TA. In other words, we paid for our suite and there is no way to get a better rate...:(

I'm confused! You have a suite, are all five people in the same room or do you have two rooms?

Probably less of a concern for you, because I'm pretty sure the category you're in is sold out;), since there are so few of that category on the ship. Once a category is sold out, no rate drops. Now if one opens up between final pay and sailing, you might be able to do something. BUT you won't get a price reduction after final pay in any situation - you might be able to upgrade but that's about it:D.

I'm confused! You have a suite, are all five people in the same room or do you have two rooms?

They are all in the same suite, but since Royal has a limit of 4 people per reservation, they need 2 reservations for their party of 5.

I can understand your confusion...as I have been confused over this fact for months! LOL We have one room, but two reservation numbers. Four of us are on one, and one of us is on the second reservation. Even when I asked for an explanation, it made no sense to me as to WHY they had to do this. It makes it impossible to rate watch...but you cannot price or book a family suite on their website to begin with.

Probably less of a concern for you, because I'm pretty sure the category you're in is sold out;), since there are so few of that category on the ship. Once a category is sold out, no rate drops. Now if one opens up between final pay and sailing, you might be able to do something. BUT you won't get a price reduction after final pay in any situation - you might be able to upgrade but that's about it:D.

Thanks for the info! I wonder what an upgrade would even be? We have two bedrooms and two bathrooms. I would be OK with two connecting Jr. Suites if we would get to keep our suite benefits! LOL But on the Jewel, I do not see another suite that has two bathrooms.