Southern Caribbean Sea conditions

graysonman

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the sea conditions are usually like in the Southern Caribbean at this time of year. My wife and I are going on the Summit for the New Years cruise (first time with Celebrity) and we're wondering what it is generally like. A few years ago we went with Princess out of FLL and it was a bit choppy, especially leaving Florida. Hoping for a bit kinder seas this time and better weather than we had before (it was overcast most days and not very "Caribbean like") lol. For anyone who has been cruising there recently, any insight would be great! Thanks!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We sailed on Eclipse last New Years from Ft. Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean and I don't remember any particular issues with the seas. My DH does occasionally suffer from sea sickness and he was fine on this cruise. Of course, our experience last year does not mean the same experience this year.

Good Luck & welcome to Cruise Critics.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Here is an interesting site. It shows the surf forecast from all around the world. The link below is the Southern Caribbean chart. If you scroll through the days (bar near the top) you'll see the forecast. I've never seen anything higher than 8-10 ft. waves whenever I look at it.

http://magicseaweed.com/Southern-Caribbean-Surf-Chart/53/

Compare that to the Gulf of Mexico

http://magicseaweed.com/Gulf-Coast-MSW-Surf-Charts/9/

or the Northern Caribbean charts...

http://magicseaweed.com/Gulf-Coast-MSW-Surf-Charts/9/

We sailed on Eclipse last New Years from Ft. Lauderdale to the Southern Caribbean and I don't remember any particular issues with the seas. My DH does occasionally suffer from sea sickness and he was fine on this cruise. Of course, our experience last year does not mean the same experience this year.

Good Luck & welcome to Cruise Critics.

Mary Lou

We lucked out last year didn't we on that cruise eh MaryLou? :D

It was summer hot at sailaway and we were ahead of any nasty weather the whole trip it seemed. (It did rain at the stroke of mid night 2012-2013.. but it wasn't rough )

The OP didn't say where he's sailing out of, but it can get a bit rolly as other have said out of Ft Laud/Miami when a "Norther" is blowing.

If you are sailing out of San Juan it is always more predictable.

Edited by A Sixth?

We lucked out last year didn't we on that cruise eh MaryLou? :D

It was summer hot at sailaway and we were ahead of any nasty weather the whole trip it seemed. (It did rain at the stroke of mid night 2012-2013.. but it wasn't rough )

The OP didn't say where he's sailing out of, but it can get a bit rolly as other have said out of Ft Laud/Miami when a "Norther" is blowing.

If you are sailing out of San Juan it is always more predictable.

Yes, we did and we are doing it again this year on Equinox. Hopefully without the midnight rain. :D

Mary Lou

You do realize asking what the sea state could be for a cruise more than a week or so away is like asking how the weather will be in some city next month or so.

Someone may hazard a guess, stressing the word 'guess', and can tell you about the seasonal averages or what is was on their cruise last week which has little to do with what you will experience.

About all we can really say is there are no major currents or areas that are consistently rough. The rest is impacted by the Highs, Lows, Fronts, local conditions and so on.

The S Carribean is 'usually' a pretty low sea state.....except when it isn't, then it can get sporty. The only big thing difference is this isn't Hurricane season but you don't even want to think about a Hurricane while at sea in any size of ship.

Enjoy. The chances of good wx and calm seas are better than even.

Den

Thanks, I do realize that it is a crap shoot any time any time you head out on the high seas (having lived near the Great Lakes for most of my life) and we are really looking forward to this cruise, especially to see Barbados, St Lucia, and Antigua for the first time, and to revisit Sint Maarten and St Thomas!

Hoping for an exciting time on the Summit. Sounds like NYE will be a fun time to sail!!!

Impossible to say what the seas will do. :rolleyes:

Those into the deeper Southern Caribbean ... ABC Islands -- Aruba, Bonaire, & Curacao ... have always been great over the NY & January time frame for us. :)

LuLu

~~~~

The Summit sticks to the Eastern Caribbean Islands before the "roughest" stuff sets up near the ABCs and the SW Caribbean (where it can get nasty in January)

So IMHO the Op has less to worry about... :)

I also have a winter cruise, I have used this website before:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave

I went on a December cruise several years ago when one of the big fronts pushed all the way down to the Bahamas. It was terrible, I actually lost weight on the cruise.

However, that did not stop me from booking another December cruise :D You just never know what you are going to get.

We were just on a cruise that went to the southern Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale. Our sailing from Princess Cays to Curacao was very rough. But it almost always is. That's because of the distance. To get to Curacao on time, the Captain has to really put pedal to the metal (so to speak) to get there on time. The way back was smooth .... he had more time. I knew it would be so from reading previous reviews.

If you are sailing from San Juan, you'll be much closer, no need for the Captain to rush and it should be fine.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what the sea conditions are usually like in the Southern Caribbean at this time of year. My wife and I are going on the Summit for the New Years cruise (first time with Celebrity) and we're wondering what it is generally like. A few years ago we went with Princess out of FLL and it was a bit choppy, especially leaving Florida. Hoping for a bit kinder seas this time and better weather than we had before (it was overcast most days and not very "Caribbean like") lol. For anyone who has been cruising there recently, any insight would be great! Thanks!!

We've sailed from San Juan several times, and for calm seas its great. The most ship motion we've experienced in the Caribbean is getting from Miami/FLL to the southern areas, but once there, its been very calm. Personally, I like to know I'm on a ship, but to each their own. You also have the benefit of starting and returning to warm weather, never a guarantee from Florida in winter. We loved the Summit, and I wish you an enjoyable cruise!