Bringing on a bottle of port

VUCruiser

Does HAL consider a bottle of port wine, wine? We were on another cruise line and tried bringing on a bottle of port but it was taken (returned to us the last night) and considered alcohol. Since we have a balcony on our upcoming trip, a glass of port in the evening on the balcony would be very nice. We can (and have) purchased glasses on the way back to our cabin in the past, but if we can bring a bottle on for cabin consumption, we may. Thanks!

Does HAL consider a bottle of port wine, wine?
Port is wine. HAL's policy doesn't say wine below such-and-such alcohol content, it says wine. Period. If they do take it from you, buy another bottle at the next port of call, and maybe the next security guard will let it pass.

We were once allowed to bring on a bottle of limoncello because I said in jest that it was "lemon wine". I don't know if the security man really didn't know it wasn't, or he just decided to let me get away with it. :cool::D

Edited by jtl513

Were you on the recent Ryndam TA cruise? We heard of that happening to one of the passengers. And, yes, HAL does not define what "wine" is in terms of alcohol content. Port is made by adding distilled spirits, but it is not consider "spirits", so it seems that it should have been allowed. Try it again and demand proof that such policy has been enunciated. Not that it will do much good, but it would be interesting to see them flounder.

We had a similar situation when we wanted to bring vermouth on board.

Vermouth, like port, is considered a fortified wine by definition.

Just to be on the safe side we emailed HAL and asked specifically about bringing on vermouth. We were told that it was permitted so problem solved. We always bring a copy of the email just in case.

Rockfan2

When we boarded for our recent Rotterdam cruise, we received a letter in the cabin outlining the new alcohol policy. They said that fortified wines such as sherry and port, would be confiscated. Whether they will or not, I do not know. I suppose it is a gamble. Whether it is worth it or not depends on whether you have room in your luggage for it at the end of the cruise.

I was in Portimao, Portugal two weeks ago on the Prinsendam. I brought aboard a bottle of Port wine and it was confiscated. The person who confiscated it (I don't know if they are security guards or wine stewards) said that fortified wine is classified as "spirits". It wasn't a big deal as I planned on bringing it home anyway, but the experience was kind of degrading. I asked where it was stated that we couldn't bring this kind of wine aboard in Portugal and of course there was nothing in writing. Looks like we were supposed to already know that policy.

I was in Portimao, Portugal two weeks ago on the Prinsendam. I brought aboard a bottle of Port wine and it was confiscated. The person who confiscated it (I don't know if they are security guards or wine stewards) said that fortified wine is classified as "spirits". It wasn't a big deal as I planned on bringing it home anyway, but the experience was kind of degrading. I asked where it was stated that we couldn't bring this kind of wine aboard in Portugal and of course there was nothing in writing. Looks like we were supposed to already know that policy.

JMO, but this seems like a nit-picking rule that is just setting HAL up for problems at embarkation. I have never heard of anyone not considering port and sherry to be wine. Fortified with brandy if you get technical, but c'mon, how much port and sherry would customers really be bringing on, especially with the new rule of only one bottle per person. Enough to really impact HAL's profit? Anything considered and called wine should be okay and not confiscated. For a line that has so much trouble enforcing so many "rules" this move seems ridiculous.

Port is wine. HAL's policy doesn't say wine below such-and-such alcohol content, it says wine. Period. If they do take it from you, buy another bottle at the next port of call, and maybe the next security guard will let it pass.

We were once allowed to bring on a bottle of limoncello because I said in jest that it was "lemon wine". I don't know if the security man really didn't know it wasn't, or he just decided to let me get away with it. :cool::D

On our recent cruise, I bought three bottles of limoncello in Sorrento...two smaller ones for gifts and a larger one for us. When we got back to the ship, I gave them to DH to bring on board while I browsed in the port shops. When I got back to our room, they were on the bed...DH doesn't drink and I have no idea what he told Security. Probably that it was wine...for all he knows, that's what it was!

Didn't drink them on board, BTW...they arrived home intact! :)

When we boarded in Bordeaux, they looked closely at each bottle of wine they said to be sure none were "port". None of ours were so don't know what would have happened if they were.

Why in h*** would anyone even consider buying port in Bordeaux LOL ;)

At the end of the day, I'm not sure that it makes much of a difference whether HAL in its corporate HQ considers Port to be a wine or not. If the security personnel on site are told not to allow anything other than bottles of wine, and the label on your bottle doesn't say "wine", it might not get through. While some ports mention wine on their labels, and would probably be accepted, many do not.