Did Celebrity get it right - Captain's Club

ghstudio

I guess my reading comprehension has dropped with age. I thought the thread title was "Did Celebrity get it right?" and I offered my own opinion. I haven't been loyal to Celebrity, but I did point out that we are trying to focus in on a favorite cruise line to become loyal to. For us, these changes make the Captains Club program less of an incentive.

Looking at the bigger picture, I don't see the logic of this supposed loyalty program. But it seems that only those who have proved their loyalty can understand it.

Thank you for offering your opinion, I personally believe that everyone should be able to offer up an opinion, whether they have been on one Celebrity cruise or 100.

Noticed that you will be going on Crystal's Serenity. It is a wonderful ship with a great crew. You will have a fantastic time.

Sounds a lot like Spaulding in Caddyshack... :confused:

I want a hot dog...I want a milkshake...I want potato chips...

And I want a PONY... right NOW!!! :rolleyes:

OMG, they want all those things back, but can you imagine how this site would lite up if Celebrity brought them back and then charged more for the cruises.

You want a pony, I want to be 5'10", blond and a size 4, but I don't want to have to be streatched, dye my hair and diet. But what I don't ever want to see again, is those silly horse races by the pool, they were so lame.

I remember way back in the early days they would be folded in a different style every night. It's the small touches I miss. :(

I totally agree, it's the small touches that made it feel special. Remember when there was more darn silverware on those tables with the folded napkins? Really looked cool.

We're pretty experienced being almost half way to Zenith and Diamond Plus with Royal Caribbean. And you'll never see us asking if we can get a discount on a speciality restaurant. If it's not advertised, we won't get one. If we cannot afford something, we don't get it.

SDT

It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I'm sure the majority of us cruising can afford to book specialty restaurants at least once a sailing, it's the fact that DH and I don't believe $45 per person is worth it. $30 per person yes, but that would be it.

I totally agree, it's the small touches that made it feel special. Remember when there was more darn silverware on those tables with the folded napkins? Really looked cool.

We also miss a lot of the small touches, especially the fresh flowers on the MDR tables.

Last cruise we couldn't even get one of those fake candles they have. Our table was always missing it.

Also miss the great chocolate they use to leave on the pillow. These Celebrity Chocolates are terrible.

My DH has also commented that he misses the Midnight Bites that someone else has previously posted about.

I think a few people are getting a bit confused about tiers and marketing.

Zenith may seem unattainable because if you are Elite + you are highly likely to have committed yourself to the cruise line anyway.

Admittedly, there will be a few that would work towards an intermediate tier, but the number would be so small, it will not be worth Celebrity altering what is already a highly beneficial perk system for all regular customers.

It has nothing to do with being able to afford it. I'm sure the majority of us cruising can afford to book specialty restaurants at least once a sailing, it's the fact that DH and I don't believe $45 per person is worth it. $30 per person yes, but that would be it.

ITA!!! Use to be worth it but they have also cut back on the Murano items, too. Anyone remeber the goat cheese in the pulled suger bowl? The foie gras that was so delicious!

I simply miss the elegence that once was.

Our next cruise will be the determining factor on doing two Celebrity cruises a year, or just one upscale (Regent, Crystal, etc.) a year and a couple of mini weekend holiday/vacations.

Just because YOU and your DH think something is only worth a certain dollar amount doesn't mean someone should bring the price down. If there's no demand for that item, the price will eventually come down. The speciality restaurants are not like buying a car or house. The cost is what it is on that specific day.

As for the affordibility of the restaurants, reread my post. I said if WE cannot afford something, we don't do or get it. You assumed I was making a commentary on others....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Forums mobile app

I think a few people are getting a bit confused about tiers and marketing.

Zenith may seem unattainable because if you are Elite + you are highly likely to have committed yourself to the cruise line anyway.

Admittedly, there will be a few that would work towards an intermediate tier, but the number would be so small, it will not be worth Celebrity altering what is already a highly beneficial perk system for all regular customers.

Not in my case. Just shy of 700 points with an AQ class booked. Why would I want to stay committed to a cruise line that doesn't seem to value my loyaty? Pretty sure I'm not alone.....

As for the affordibility of the restaurants, reread my post. I said if WE cannot afford something, we don't do or get it. You assumed I was making a commentary on others....

I apologize for misreading your post. Point taken. I agree also if DH and I can't afford something we don't do it.

But that's not the reason why we don't book the specialty restaurants.

One more thing, why has it been on our past cruises, since they have raised the price to $45 they are always coming around trying to give us discounts. On our last Summit cruise it was almost embarrassing as the maitre'd for Normandie was trying so hard to get us to book after 2 or 3 days of offering us a discount he told us to name our own price. He asked us how much we wanted to pay.

My DH then told him that we didn't want a deal. He wanted them to lower the price for everyone.

ITA!!! Use to be worth it but they have also cut back on the Murano items, too. Anyone remeber the goat cheese in the pulled suger bowl? The foie gras that was so delicious!

I simply miss the elegence that once was.

Our next cruise will be the determining factor on doing two Celebrity cruises a year, or just one upscale (Regent, Crystal, etc.) a year and a couple of mini weekend holiday/vacations.

There are pencil pushers that have already factored in a certain percentage of customers that will leave Celebrity after changes to anything are made. You will be missed, but you and the others will not hurt the bottomline.

I agree that none of the speciality restaurants are worth the $30-$45 additional to our original cruise fare. Our favorite is one of the cheapest, The Lawn Club, and even when it's 50% off, it's not worth $40 per couple. JMHO

There are pencil pushers that have already factored in a certain percentage of customers that will leave Celebrity after changes to anything are made. You will be missed, but you and the others will not hurt the bottomline.

I agree that none of the speciality restaurants are worth the $30-$45 additional to our original cruise fare. Our favorite is one of the cheapest, The Lawn Club, and even when it's 50% off, it's not worth $40 per couple. JMHO

Ahhh..so they already got 24 cruises out me...I am no longer needed.

Ahhh..so they already got 24 cruises out me...I am no longer needed.

No business wants to lose any custoners, but they understand they cannot please everyone or control where they spend their money. And as I said, when a cruise line makes changes, they anticipate some loss to their customer base as well as an increase to that base from first time passengers.

No business wants to lose any custoners, but they understand they cannot please everyone or control where they spend their money. And as I said, when a cruise line makes changes, they anticipate some loss to their customer base as well as an increase to that base from first time passengers.

I would bet that Celebrity will not lose very many customers over the changes in the Captain's Club. I'm sure that their research department looked at the ramifications of the changes every which way but Sunday and can probably predict what percentage they will lose. They would have not made any changes that would adversely affected their sales to a large degree. I'm sure they also know, that many who are complaining now and threatening to leave, will stay customers because of the Celebrity experience.

I don't mind the new program and tiers however in fairness to all of us who booked an upcoming cruise prior to the November 25th date for sailing in 2014 that should have been a major consideration. I would have thought that "beginning" 2014 any new bookings should have been the starting point.

I would bet that Celebrity will not lose very many customers over the changes in the Captain's Club. I'm sure that their research department looked at the ramifications of the changes every which way but Sunday and can probably predict what percentage they will lose. They would have not made any changes that would adversely affected their sales to a large degree. I'm sure they also know, that many who are complaining now and threatening to leave, will stay customers because of the Celebrity experience.

It's really not about the perks..well, for me it's not. It's about Celebrity once being an elegent cruise line and now is going in the direction of all the others. I have cruised once on each of the other cruise lines (price wise) and always came back to Celebrity. Unfortunately, I don't think they (Celebrity) realize if/when HAL changes the smoking rules that many of their loyal customers have another option. I don't see much difference between the two lines at this point in time. Several years ago Celebrity was on a different playing field / a step above. You always felt spoiled / pampered / special.Everyone from 1 point to 3000 points should leave a ship feeling this way. That's what makes a holiday/vacation worth doing again over and over. It's gotten lost along the way.

I just want the old Celebrity back. Newer and improved isn't always better.

But that's jmo

It's really not about the perks..well, for me it's not. It's about Celebrity once being an elegent cruise line and now is going in the direction of all the others. I have cruised once on each of the other cruise lines (price wise) and always came back to Celebrity. Unfortunately, I don't think they (Celebrity) realize if/when HAL changes the smoking rules that many of their loyal customers have another option. I don't see much difference between the two lines at this point in time. Several years ago Celebrity was on a different playing field / a step above. You always felt spoiled / pampered / special.Everyone from 1 point to 3000 points should leave a ship feeling this way. That's what makes a holiday/vacation worth doing again over and over. It's gotten lost along the way.

I just want the old Celebrity back. Newer and improved isn't always better.

But that's jmo

If you are looking for elegant, you might want to try Crystal, but be warned they have changed things over the years as well. I haven't tried HAL, but I'm sure it is very nice as well. If it is not about the points, why did you comment that they should not use the word loyalty. If it weren't about the points, I guess you wouldn't have a problem at all with regard to the new Captain's Club. I don't mean to be harsh, but I think it is all about the points, because if it were the new program or the old program, the elegance of the ship would be the same; the new Captain's Club didn't change any of the current cruising experience. So how did the new Captain's Club announcement change the elegance of the ship for you?

If you look at every cruise line's treads on here, people are saying it is not the same or that they don't do mints on the pillow or they don't do that. The old Celebrity will never be back, things change, things evolve, it is just the way things are.

Edited by NLH Arizona

. . . My concern relates to the number of points given for The Galapagos Islands Cruisetour. I think that two points a night is not enough because of the cost, limited number of cabins and the category that I normally book is not offered. It's not a deal breaker, but it seems that more points would be awarded to this sailing. . .

Celebrity has not typically awarded extra points for the Galapagos sailings, no matter the stateroom category. I took the 10-night cruisetour in 2007 and had a suite onboard Xpedition. I only received 1 point for that sailing. I took the 13-night Galapagos/Machu Picchu cruisetour in April and again had a suite. Per the pre-Nov. 2013 point system, I thought I should have received 3 points (1 point for sailing, 1 point for suite, and 1 point for cruise/cruisetour 12+ days). However, I was only given 2 points because I was told Xpedition is a special case and extra points are not awarded for suites.

My 12-night Holy Land cruise last October was in a suite and considerably cheaper than the Galapagos trip. I received 3 points for it.

Can anyone confirm if days ashore on Celebrity CruiseTours will continue to receive points? Under the old system, those days counted toward the extra length that gained one additional CC point. If they will be counted, will it be at the rate associated with the onboard cabin (e.g. suite, Aqua, inside, etc.)?

It seems that Celebrity will likely lose a lot of CruiseTour business to other tour providers if they do not award loyalty points for the shore days.

Not in my case. Just shy of 700 points with an AQ class booked. Why would I want to stay committed to a cruise line that doesn't seem to value my loyaty? Pretty sure I'm not alone.....

You are joking I assume. IMO it would be really silly to allow the fact that you are just over 50 points away stop you from reaching that level. With the new 25 point bonus for new booking be introduced on Friday and your cruise you will be there soon. Also IMO the Elite benefits are really nice and should make anyone there feel valued. It would probably take you much longer on another cruise line to get the same benefits at this point. So swithching cruise lines or stop cruising because of a few points for Elite+? It will not be long before everyone will be discussing how lucky we were to get the 30 points a credit under an older system that was excessively generous.

Only a few small percentage of us will ever get to the Zenith level and that is OK. I cannot even imagine how it could be me with only 720 points.

If you are looking for elegant, you might want to try Crystal, but be warned they have changed things over the years as well. I haven't tried HAL, but I'm sure it is very nice as well. If it is not about the points, why did you comment that they should not use the word loyalty. If it weren't about the points, I guess you wouldn't have a problem at all with regard to the new Captain's Club. I don't mean to be harsh, but I think it is all about the points, because if it were the new program or the old program, the elegance of the ship would be the same; the new Captain's Club didn't change any of the current cruising experience. So how did the new Captain's Club announcement change the elegance of the ship for you?

If you look at every cruise line's treads on here, people are saying it is not the same or that they don't do mints on the pillow or they don't do that. The old Celebrity will never be back, things change, things evolve, it is just the way things are.

I agree with you. This thread/subject just gives some people the opportunity to complain about the lack of points and/or the unfairness of the new tiers. Oh, and by the way, I'm mad about this, that and another! As I told Sanji Smith, Michael Bailey's assistant on Monday during a phone conversation, nothing in life is perfect, not even a cruise you pay for. Celebrity does everything they can do to give you a great vacation for what you pay. I'm not a cheerleader for Celebrity. I've cruised many different lines and find them to be great als well. Carnival is the one exception. It's just personal preference.

I apologize for misreading your post. Point taken. I agree also if DH and I can't afford something we don't do it.

But that's not the reason why we don't book the specialty restaurants.

One more thing, why has it been on our past cruises, since they have raised the price to $45 they are always coming around trying to give us discounts. On our last Summit cruise it was almost embarrassing as the maitre'd for Normandie was trying so hard to get us to book after 2 or 3 days of offering us a discount he told us to name our own price. He asked us how much we wanted to pay.

My DH then told him that we didn't want a deal. He wanted them to lower the price for everyone.

So you think $45 is too high and $30 is OK, but when $30 or less were offered you did not pay it? Perhaps you just do not think it is worth anything extra. At least your reaction would seem to indicate that you do not.

Celebrity has not typically awarded extra points for the Galapagos sailings, no matter the stateroom category. I took the 10-night cruisetour in 2007 and had a suite onboard Xpedition. I only received 1 point for that sailing. I took the 13-night Galapagos/Machu Picchu cruisetour in April and again had a suite. Per the pre-Nov. 2013 point system, I thought I should have received 3 points (1 point for sailing, 1 point for suite, and 1 point for cruise/cruisetour 12+ days). However, I was only given 2 points because I was told Xpedition is a special case and extra points are not awarded for suites.

My 12-night Holy Land cruise last October was in a suite and considerably cheaper than the Galapagos trip. I received 3 points for it.

I am not sure that Celebrity considers the add on a cruisetour subject to extra days. I thought that there was an extra point for suite under that old system. It certainly is now.

You are joking I assume. IMO it would be really silly to allow the fact that you are just over 50 points away stop you from reaching that level. With the new 25 point bonus for new booking be introduced on Friday and your cruise you will be there soon. Also IMO the Elite benefits are really nice and should make anyone there feel valued. It would probably take you much longer on another cruise line to get the same benefits at this point. So swithching cruise lines or stop cruising because of a few points for Elite+? It will not be long before everyone will be discussing how lucky we were to get the 30 points a credit under an older system that was excessively generous.

Only a few small percentage of us will ever get to the Zenith level and that is OK. I cannot even imagine how it could be me with only 720 points.

I just think they should give everyone bonus points. Why bite the hand that feeds you?