Did Celebrity get it right - Captain's Club

ghstudio

Who says those booking the Penthouse don't have the resources to take as many cruises as they want? Usually those paying out that kind of money are not worried about the price. ;)

Whole point was a comparison of # of cruises needed to get the 252 points. Nothing whatsoever against those who sail in suites and certainly no one is questioning their ability to do so. Not quite sure why you are being so defensive?

Whole point was a comparison of # of cruises needed to get the 252 points. Nothing whatsoever against those who sail in suites and certainly no one is questioning their ability to do so. Not quite sure why you are being so defensive?

Defensive? Really? I simply made a statement based off your comment. Nothing more.

Edited by cruisingator2

I had a Celebrity cruise booked and paid for in September 2013 that would put us in the Elite level of the Captain's Club which we had been working toward over the past year. November 28th we received notice that they changed the point value for Captain's Club. Due to the change we will not make the Elite status after this cruise and are several points short. We originally booked this Caribbean cruise to get to the Elite level with plans on booking an Asian cruise in the spring to enjoy the benefits of the Elite status on this 17 day cruise. We called a customer service agent at Celebrity and although they were sympathetic to our circumstance they said there is nothing they can do. This change penalizes loyal Celebrity cruise passengers. They could have handled this differently, but choose not to be fair. We are not happy!

I think I'm finding the best way to express your disappointment in in the member reviews section....too many gang up on anyone who states disappointment with anything Celebrity. Hit em where it really counts in their rating number. I find its a no win situaton here on the threads. Kind of a bully mentality.

I can't imagine Celebrity is happy with this

I think I would rather take 6 - 14 night cruises in a veranda and get 252 points, than only 1 - 14 night cruise in the Penthouse for the 252 points.

Would probably spend about the same $$ for either option, but you sure would have a lot more fun taking 6 cruises rather than just 1. :D

And you've displayed more loyalty too, rather than just someone with a lot of cash to spend.

I think I'm finding the best way to express your disappointment in in the member reviews section....too many gang up on anyone who states disappointment with anything Celebrity. Hit em where it really counts in their rating number. I find its a no win situaton here on the threads. Kind of a bully mentality.

What would you be reviewing?

Are you suggesting someone fake a review for a cruise they haven't gone on? They havent cruised yet.

I'd find a review a bit odd if it stated "we had a great cruise and the ship was fantastic, but since I didn't get enough points to make Elite, I'm giving it a One-Star review". Or worse, are you suggesting people writeup fake complaints.

Is that what you are recommending?

Are people actually going to go on a cruise and hate it because they missed some tier?

This is getting really weird.

Den

Edited by Denny01

Are you suggesting someone fake a review for a cruise they haven't on? They havent cruised yet.

I'd find a review a bit odd if it stated "we had a great cruise and the ship was fantastic, but since I didn't get enough points to make Elite, I'm giving it a One-Star review". Or worse, are you suggesting people writeup fake complaints.

Are people actually going to go on a cruise and hate it because they missed some tier?

Den

I never said to fake a review! AND I would never suggest that. They already have cruises booked...no reason they can't say what they feel in the member reviews about the tier points. Because, clearly it is impossible to post your disappointment about the bonus points handed out to some and not the others here on the threads without being told over and over again to go cruise on Carnival if you don't like Celebrity. I'll bet Carnival is just thrilled with all of those posts.

My calculation is that 8 credits equal 240 plus 35 for the sailing we just came off of making us 25 points shy of 300.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Celebrity gave everyone with 8 credits 25 bonus points.

Check your "My Celebrity". I have a feeling you might get a nice surprise.

biggerbearmom - If you're still reading this thread please come back and let us know what happened.

And Oville - I read many, many posts (while being totally frustrated that my info would only flash and never show up clearly) about this and everyone with 8 credits at the time of conversion got the 25 bonus points!

I totally agree. We booked a Concierge cabin which was nearly £1000 dearer than the standard balcony cabin for the very reason of moving up to select. We were explicit that this was the reason when we booked and made a point of asking and being reassured that we would also move up to select. I get that they are entitled to introduce new benefits BUT I booked 6 months ago and this was a discussed inclusion in my booking. Am waiting on celebrity getting back to me but if it's not resolved on an existing booking, I will be cancelling.

You spent an extra thousand pounds to become select? :eek::eek:

And you've displayed more loyalty too, rather than just someone with a lot of cash to spend.

You are only displaying more loyalty if your definition of loyalty is days cruised. Why can't loyalty be judged by $$$ spent?

Both are measurable statistics that would denote being loyal. It is simply that businesses run to make a profit for their owners/shareholders so the business will most usually opt for the $$$ spent measurement. Can you really blame them?

Edited by maxsales
Grammar

Are you suggesting someone fake a review for a cruise they haven't gone on? They havent cruised yet.

Den

No need to worry, Den. There would still be many more great reviews from their passengers, than negative ones, because after all most people tell it like it is and don't feel the need to stick it to a cruise line because they disagree with a policy. If someone is displeased with Celebrity, then they shouldn't cruise with them, but to write a review based on a policy change - WOW. I don't understand how someone's displeasure would hurt how they rated the food, experience, etc. What would they do, give all ones because they didn't get the points that they wanted (since there is no category to review policy changes). And yes, I'm sure that those that are still complaining about the new Captain's Club, will go on a cruise and be miserable because they will be telling their "oh poor me stories" about them not getting the points that they felt they deserved to anyone that will listen and that will end up being a horrible cruise for them.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't understand all the chatter on this thread re PH, etc. points......do you really think anyone with the $$'s to book a penthouse suite really cares about 'points' and what their 'tier level' is??? It's folks like me, who would very much like to enjoy a suite at least one time, who would appreciate the given points to boost me to a higher level and the accompanying 'benefits'. In the meantime, concierge is my choice and if there's perks attached I'm quite happy; if not, I'd still book whatever class my budget allowed and ENJOY my cruise.

Carole

I never said to fake a review! AND I would never suggest that. They already have cruises booked...no reason they can't say what they feel in the member reviews about the tier points. Because, clearly it is impossible to post your disappointment about the bonus points handed out to some and not the others here on the threads without being told over and over again to go cruise on Carnival if you don't like Celebrity. I'll bet Carnival is just thrilled with all of those posts.

I know many here understand what I'm about to say, but you obviously don't understand what a review site is. When you write a cruise review, it's an account of what happened and your opinion about the ship, tours, food, etc. Not a commentary about cruise line policy. Actually, if read a review about a cruise/ship and you added your two negative cents about the Captain's Club tiers, I would totally disregard your review. It would be obvious you had an axe to grind.

Den

I shook my head when I read that post last night. Not a lot you can say about that.

And how do you know that the person with a lot of cash to spend is not loyal? Answer: you don't. ;)

Actually, our friends with 300 points (they're Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean) that have always sailed Celebrity in a Royal Suite ARE loyal and ARE interested in their points. They like being able to share the Elite Happy Hour with us and others. They like the show of appreciation Celebrity gives them for being loyal. Obviously it's not about the dollar amount of the perks for them.

I know many here understand what I'm about to say, but you obviously don't understand what a review site is. When you write a cruise review, it's an account of what happened and your opinion about the ship, tours, food, etc. Not a commentary about cruise line policy. Actually, if read a review about a cruise/ship and you added your two negative cents about the Captain's Club tiers, I would totally disregard your review. It would be obvious you had an axe to grind.

I agree, but I thought I read, the review was to hit them in their rating numbers, so how would someone do that without having a fake review or at least a review giving lower numbers, rather than numbers based on their cruising experience. Just posting someone's disapproval with the Captain's Club in the comments wouldn't reflect in the rating numbers, without someone rating food, experience, etc.

When reading reviews and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. I disregard those that are really bad and those that are perfect and base my decision on those in the middle. Doing this, I don't consider those who have an axe to grind and may give 1's because of, like this example, a policy change.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I agree, but I thought I read, the review was to hit them in their rating numbers, so how would someone do that without having a fake review or at least a review giving lower numbers, rather than numbers based on their cruising experience. Just posting someone's disapproval with the Captain's Club in the comments wouldn't reflect in the rating numbers, without someone rating food, experience, etc.

When reading reviews and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this. I disregard those that are really bad and those that are perfect and base my decision on those in the middle. Doing this, I don't consider those who have an axe to grind and may give 1's because of, like this example, a policy change.

I agree, there was an implication of making fake reviews in that post. Maybe the OP thinks the cruise line monitors those threads more so than these? I'm almost 100% positive all the cruise lines monitor Cruise Critic and like you and me, they know what reviews to disregard, ie. the real good and bad ones.

I do not like the new program. I have a paid in full cruise for March which put me one cruise away from Elite. Now I have to do 3 more sailings to reach Elite.

I am not happy about that although I do enjoy my time on Celebrity..I only cruise Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.. I think at a mininimum 1 get the points for the paid for cruise. I paid it in full 6 months early...