Is the zuiderdam really that bad

eddieg07410

We have sailded on the Zuiderdam 2x 2005 and 2006 which is a lifetime ago in cruise years. We loved her but the current reviews are making me nervous. We are hoping to go with one maybe two couples in Nov 2014 on a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Neither couple has cruised on HAL so they would cruise on our recommendation.....not sure what to do. I have no idea who even does a partial transit aside from HAL and we need to stick with the 10 because we all work and can't take much more vacation time than that.

We have sailded on the Zuiderdam 2x 2005 and 2006 which is a lifetime ago in cruise years. We loved her but the current reviews are making me nervous. We are hoping to go with one maybe two couples in Nov 2014 on a partial transit of the Panama Canal. Neither couple has cruised on HAL so they would cruise on our recommendation.....not sure what to do. I have no idea who even does a partial transit aside from HAL and we need to stick with the 10 because we all work and can't take much more vacation time than that.

Princess does 11-Night partial transits on the Coral Princess and the Island Princess.

We sailed her on about two and 1/2 years ago if memory serves correctly.

I lured a first time cruiser and a first time HAL cruiser with me.

We had a fabulous time, great food in the MDR, fabulous service in the MDR and a great time.

This was before the dry dock of course and back then, I heard no complaints about A/C or plumbing. Could you imagine my embarrassment if this situation existed then and one of them was the minority that were affected?

It's a shame there are issues because this ship offers a lot IMO.

I hope anyone sailing on her has our experience and is not one of the minority and the issues get fixed. It's a shame to see this ship tarnished with worries and, I have seen enough posts from people with the issues that for me the worries are very legitimate, minority or not.

OP - you will find many conflicting reports. Possibly because NO ONE passenger can be in all cabins on one cruise!!!!!.:rolleyes: Also because air conditioning can be spotty throughout the ship. Read and digest all the info from ALL passengers reports and make up your own mind. Judge for yourself what you find reliable - or not.:):) I MAY BE NUTS!! but I'm going back on the Zuiderdam again in April!!!! Have a nice day and stop worrying!:D

OP - you will find many conflicting reports. Possibly because NO ONE passenger can be in all cabins on one cruise!!!!!.:rolleyes: Also because air conditioning can be spotty throughout the ship. Read and digest all the info from ALL passengers reports and make up your own mind. Judge for yourself what you find reliable - or not.:):) I MAY BE NUTS!! but I'm going back on the Zuiderdam again in April!!!! Have a nice day and stop worrying!:D

I thought this was a different poster for a second :eek: not another large font - please spare our eyes !

agree to read all passenger posts and kudos to you for going back on - I don't know if I would - I remember your posts. But our cruise on that ship was wonderful and considering the food in the MDR and the service (at least when we were on), I can't blame you a bit for trying her again.

I thought this was a different poster for a second :eek: not another large font - please spare our eyes !

agree to read all passenger posts and kudos to you for going back on - I don't know if I would - I remember your posts. But our cruise on that ship was wonderful and considering the food in the MDR and the service (at least when we were on), I can't blame you a bit for trying her again.

Sorry!:( I could say it was because of my eyes.... but, in all honesty I hit the wrong size when I was changing the font, and didn't go back in time to edit.:o

Hi

I was on the Zuiderdam on November 11/18. Why I did not like the layout of the ship. I had a wonderful time. Food in the MDR was outstanding. Service was also outstanding. I was mid ship cabin 6069 I never had any problems. I had a balcony and it was cleaned daily as were the windows. Its is a nice ship but I have been spoiled by the Amsterdam. I do know some people had a/c problems I saw them at desk. But that was one or two. You will love this cruise. Just remember it crowed going thru the canal first time empty on the return.Where is your cabin?

Mary

My keyboard is not working at times I meant 11/8-11/18 ctuise

I am feeling much better and feel I have more balanced opinions. We were on an RCL cruise that was below the dining room. Noise was terrible. We complained and the problem was fixed plus we were given a gift. I would just hope if we run into any problems HAL will be responsive. The negative posters seemed to indicate they weren't. But all in all we got a great deal and hopefully the positives far outweigh the negative. We have a VH guaranteed (only 4 cabins available in that vategory) so we are hoping for an upgrade. I'd like to hear comments about my observations about the sparse postings in my roll call. I came to the conclusion that the ship will likely be fill with non cruise critic members because most of the cruise critic memebers are reluctant to book because of the proliferation of negative remarks.

Comic Sans MS is looked down on by web developers for various reasons. It is also true that the sight impaired do better with less round letters as well as type faces with hooks and lines as they are easier to decipher. Times New Roman is a standard example. I learned this when I had a visually challenged student. I changed my font from Arial to TNR.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forums mobile app

Comic Sans MS is looked down on by web developers for various reasons. It is also true that the sight impaired do better with less round letters as well as type faces with hooks and lines as they are easier to decipher. Times New Roman is a standard example. I learned this when I had a visually challenged student. I changed my font from Arial to TNR.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forums mobile app

I have astigmatism in the vertical aspect thus round letters are much easier to read than tall narrow ones. I prefer Ariel over TNR for that reason. No one type will please everyone!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancal View Post

Yes, that font is distressing in a number of ways.

And why is that? Or are you talking in some code or something?

I don't know if "distressing" would be my choice of descriptors, but I find it annoying when huge fonts are used and just make the post excessively big for no reason. Same thing with signatures that are half a page long because of huge fonts and ship images.

LOL...so did I!

Sorry!:( I could say it was because of my eyes.... but, in all honesty I hit the wrong size when I was changing the font, and didn't go back in time to edit.:o

Easy enough to do...hit the wrong size! I chuckled as I thought the same thing as Jacqui!

Edited by innlady1

We are sitting in the airport in Ft.Lauderdale having disembarked the Zuiderdam this morning.

We were on an 11 day cruise and we enjoyed every minute of it.

The food, entertainment and crew were all wonderful.

Captain Turner runs a great ship.

I think there were some problems with the A.C. but those were in a very small number of staterooms.

We were on deck 5 , mid-ship, and never had any issues.

The only problem we had was leaving the ship this morning and going through U.S. Customs. There just aren't enough agents for the number of passengers .

This is not HAL's fault. The agents were all working hard but it is very slow.

I would have been in a panic if we had a flight this morning.

I am getting pretty excited for our cruise on the Z'dam. With or without issues, I am certainly hoping for a magical time!

BTW- we are in a VB gty. Still no cabin assignment (and honestly, I am not expecting one for another 3 weeks or so!). We will make the best of whatever we receive! Heck, it's a cruise!!!:D

I am getting pretty excited for our cruise on the Z'dam. With or without issues, I am certainly hoping for a magical time!

BTW- we are in a VB gty. Still no cabin assignment (and honestly, I am not expecting one for another 3 weeks or so!). We will make the best of whatever we receive! Heck, it's a cruise!!!:D

You will have a great time! No matter what the issues, it's a great ship, and Captain Chris Turner is very personable. The MDR food is excellent too, best of any of the HAL ships I have been on.

You will have a great time! No matter what the issues, it's a great ship, and Captain Chris Turner is very personable. The MDR food is excellent too, best of any of the HAL ships I have been on.

Thank you for your bit of positive insight! This just makes me even more excited!:)