Trivia in the theatre on O SHIPS, Please change

Caroldoll

To Horizons. I know some people work it out, but it doesn't work well.

Personally, Horizons is sooo huge, I can't see why the time can't be changed slightly and use one side of Horizons. This is much more conducive to playing Trivia.

We will be spending at least six segments on O ships in the coming year and love Trivia and would love to see this change.

To Horizons. I know some people work it out, but it doesn't work well.

Personally, Horizons is sooo huge, I can't see why the time can't be changed slightly and use one side of Horizons. This is much more conducive to playing Trivia.

We will be spending at least six segments on O ships in the coming year and love Trivia and would love to see this change.

It just won't happen so don't hold your breath. It's not as good as on the R ships but it is manageable.

Having 8 or 9 people/team in Horizons wouldn't be that easy either - have you ever tried moving those chairs? :D

PS We have about 25 or 30 teams of 9 players each; that's around 250+ people playing trivia. It wouldn't be that easy to fit them into Horizons without taking up the entire room - and that is not practical.

Edited by Paulchili

We have about 25 or 30 teams of 9 players each; that's around 250+ people playing trivia. It wouldn't be that easy to fit them into Horizons without taking up the entire room - and that is not practical.
250! :eek:

I posted on another thread that 9 players on a team in the theater is simply too many. With the theater's fixed seating, one hour of complete player silence (for written discussion among the players) does not sound like my idea of fun.

With my "trivial" husband, often two is more than enough!

We will see how it goes at sea in January. :) Perhaps less show up for the evening game?

Edited by CintiPam

250! :eek:

I posted on another thread that 9 players on a team in the theater is simply too many. With the theater's fixed seating, one hour of complete player silence (for written discussion among the players) does not sound like my idea of fun.

With my "trivial" husband, often two is more than enough!

We will see how it goes at sea in January. :) Perhaps less show up for the evening game?

Yes, the evening trivia has fewer players but they are still well attended. Martini's is pretty full. This trivia is given by the entertainers are are generally more difficult with lower scores.

The odd number of players on a team (a first for us) is a thoughtful touch on part of Roy. This allows single travelers (or those individuals from a couple where only one person wishes to play) to join teams that are most often formed by couples.

The odd number of players on a team (a first for us) is a thoughtful touch on part of Roy. This allows single travelers (or those individuals from a couple where only one person wishes to play) to join teams that are most often formed by couples.

Totally agree. I have to drag my husband to trivia (but of course I like both of us getting points if we win).

It would seem to me that Oceania would think of a more congenial place to have it.

Maybe the chairs in Horizons are heavy, but the theatre is IMPOSSIBLE in my opinion.

As far as 250, I know Trivia is popular, but I have never seen that many! Still...one hour with people strung out and trying to write their messages and pass them around is really funny! And, no fun.

I don't have to drag DH to Trivia, but we love it and are sorry that we can't enjoy it on the O ships.

FWIW: We recently completed a B2B on Marina (Southampton-Barcelona-Rome). CD David Shermet hosted afternoon trivia and entertainment crew hosted evening trivia with both sessions being held in Martinis. Only hiccup was apparent grumblings by bar staff that afternoon session cut into Happy Hour, so David moved start time up by half an hour. Willing to concede both cruises were typically O-style in that we had only one day at sea during each cruise, so participation in trivia was lower -- certainly far less than 250 (what else are you going to do on a T/A?). There were a couple of days where afternoon trivia was not scheduled as well. Have to believe move to Martinis was perhaps driven by frequent pax complaints about theater venue (for the afternoon session), which we experienced on Marina during its inaugural year when we took a B2B that also was port-intensive. Again, trivia participation never approached 250.

I suspect the venue for team trivia on your cruise(s) will be driven by anticipated participation, number of ports, and who your CD is.

That is one of those 'now why didn't someone think that before' moments. Much more inclusive and welcoming. Good for Roy.

We agree with you Caroldoll about trivia in the Lounge. I am *very* glad to read that they are trying other venues though I can see the conflict problem in Martini's plus the sight lines are so bad there.

For us we enjoy the social aspect of team trivia. It was a high point on our first O cruise (R-ship). So much so it was a factor to book further cruises on O. Until Marina. After the first few afternoons we attended to support our team and enjoy their company; not that we are necessarily a great addition to the Knowledge Base but more heads are (generally) better than fewer. As it was there were dwindling numbers.

Leslie Jon and team were excellent presenters (entertaining and perfectly kept some from getting too aggressive). I think for those not in the top couple of teams they were the main reason for the ongoing attendance. We have not been to trivia since and our O cruise experience has been poorer for it.

We do have one O cruise booked for 2014, now looking forward to allocating some time for trivia again.

Edited by YoHoHo

I believe management reads this. There must be somewhere else that it could work. I wonder about that grand bar that is infrequently used for anything? Or one of the card rooms. Times can be adjusted. I just wish someone would join my plea!

I believe management reads this. There must be somewhere else that it could work. I wonder about that grand bar that is infrequently used for anything? Or one of the card rooms. Times can be adjusted. I just wish someone would join my plea!

Both venues you mention are much too small for trivia.

Horizons would be great for trivia, I think, but it would conflict with "tea". If you wanted to have both at the same time, you'd have to divide the room in half. That would mean over-crowding of both probably.

I suspect evening trivia in Horizons might be very popular, if properly run. I did evening trivia in Martini's once about a week ago, and the questions were difficult--our "team" won, although other nights apparently people complained about the impossibly difficult questions (and "how old am I?" is not a good questions.)

I also like free-form trivia teams, not the teams that stay together night after night.