Best time to cruise the Baltics?

milolii

Hello. I performed a search for this question and found some information, but I would like to hear from those of you fortunate to have experienced a Baltic Cruise.

We are looking at NCL in 2015 and are waiting along with many others for the release of the 2015 cruises.

Could some of you share the best time to cruise and why? We are looking at optimal weather. As much as that is possible. Any time to avoid? That being said we always make the best of weather and other challenges.

I understand what I think is a good time and what you think may be different, but reading your reasons can help us weigh options.

Mahalo

We went mid June one yr the weather was warm, cool & wet

sometimes all in the same day ;)

You get longer hrs of daylight in June & less tourists .

The summer months can be more crowded & warmer

Edited by LHT28

Although unpredictable..We ended up having great weather in early August for our 12 night Baltic cruise...wouldn't hesitate to cruise during this month again...Have a wonderful time...this itinerary even after many cruises elsewhere will always be our favorite one.

Hi- I don't think you can go wrong with any of the summer months. As mentioned above, something you might consider besides weather is the crowdedness of the cities. I have found that all the European cities become much, much busier with tourist after July 1st.

My favourite time of year in the Baltics is late May through June. The weather is cool but very pleasant (with a little rain, yes.) And the long, long daylight hours are great for photography.

don

The weather is so unpredictable, it is really hard to say. We cruised mid to late August and we got the exact weather we were looking for, cool mornings and nights and warm enough during the day for short sleeves.

We do not like hot weather, so we chose as late a cruise as we could do. The August month is usually vacation time for Europeans so many of the venues aren't as crowded.

Other things you might consider

Price

The earlier or later you cruise, the price will be cheaper, sometimes dramatically cheaper than mid summer.

Tourist places like the Vasa Museum in Stockholm (a MUST see) doesn't open early until June 1. (10AM before June 1 and 8:30AM after June 1). This is important because most cruises limit your time in Stockholm and if you are there earlier than the Museum opens, you have hours to kill and nothing to kill them with.

As I said, we love the cool weather, so I would chose mid June or mid August.

Cheers

Len

We went 2 years ago, late July to early August. Only time we could go because we were traveling with DS and had to go between a week at camp and soccer tryouts. We had great weather everyday in port except Gothenburg when it drizzled, but still warm.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We did a Baltic cruise this year, departing 19 Sep from Southampton. Living in the UK we are used to unpredictable weather, so thought that is what we would have on our cruise.

We were pleasantly surprised that we had lovely sunny days for the whole fortnight. In fact, the day we were in Tallin was about 28C, a bit too hot. I would imagine in July and August everywhere would be very busy and overcrowded, but we were lucky we didn't have to put up with the crowds.

We really enjoyed it and would go back again.

Update: thank you for all your answers. We booked the NCL STAR for August 19, 2015. My friend wants to visit Buckingham Palace. So we thought this date would be best as we HOPE we can visit the Palace sometime before or after the cruise. Your answers really did help us decide! Now off to the planning! I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Update: thank you for all your answers. We booked the NCL STAR for August 19, 2015. My friend wants to visit Buckingham Palace. So we thought this date would be best as we HOPE we can visit the Palace sometime before or after the cruise. Your answers really did help us decide! Now off to the planning! I am sure I will be back with more questions.

I'm sure I mentioned it before, we did a pre and a post cruise stay in London. We went about the same time as you booked. While in London, we did that tour of Buckingham Palace. If I am not mistaken, there are about 6-8 weeks where the Queen is away during the summer months, and they use that time to conduct tours of the Palace. I'm sure you know already, that you have to book these tours in advance and they will give you a specific time of your tour. (you pick the date). We loved it. We ordered our tickets on line and they sent them to us in some official looking envelop. It was very nice, the entire process.

Cheers

Len

I'm sure I mentioned it before, we did a pre and a post cruise stay in London. We went about the same time as you booked. While in London, we did that tour of Buckingham Palace. If I am not mistaken, there are about 6-8 weeks where the Queen is away during the summer months, and they use that time to conduct tours of the Palace. I'm sure you know already, that you have to book these tours in advance and they will give you a specific time of your tour. (you pick the date). We loved it. We ordered our tickets on line and they sent them to us in some official looking envelop. It was very nice, the entire process.

Cheers

Len

Cheers Len for the information. We actually went this summer but are taking friends in 2015. She wants to see the Palace. Ok, I guess I will have to go with her. Yes, it was absolutely stunning! What else did you do in London? I know off topic, but well, it is my thread!

Cheers Len for the information. We actually went this summer but are taking friends in 2015. She wants to see the Palace. Ok, I guess I will have to go with her. Yes, it was absolutely stunning! What else did you do in London? I know off topic, but well, it is my thread!

Just wanted to add that we also did a week post cruise in London (best decision we could have made)...We loved the day we spent doing the HOHO which gave us a great overlook and then went back (via Tube) to the places we wanted to explore more...

Another day we went (via Tube) to Camden Town to the market place...most amazing place to shop..something you might want to consider...We can't wait to go back to London....Enjoy !!