Is Carnival Corp losing it's mojo?

kelmac

What does that mean?. The Princess ships, including the Golden is one of the most elegantly designed ships I am been on. Golden Princess had a major overall in 2009, when we sailed on it.\.

I sailed the Golden back in '07 (before the overhaul) '08 (maybe a month after the overhaul), Golden '10 along with cruises on the Ruby ('11) and the Star ('12).

Golden '07 was excellent, '08 the best. Golden '10 (might have been '09, don't remember) was meh. Biggest different was food, lots of cutbacks Crab legs in middle of the week? Totally cut, never to come back (and this was on an AK cruise!). Table side prepared deserts? Cut! Shrimp and scallop dishes? Shrimp and scallops were downgraded in size.

Buffet on '08 had shrimp dishes almost every day, prime rib on four days, scallops too. In '10 Golden, Prime rib served just once. no shrimp was ever served, same with scallops. Instead of prime rib, there would be tough roast beef or ham. Comparing to the the year before, you could tell the cutbacks. Plus, making matters worse, in the mdr, they switched from brewed coffee to undrinkable syrup stuff. Our later princess cruises on the Ruby and Start showed the same trend.

In other ways, they haven't done some of the cutbacks that Carnival has. They still (at least when I sailed them last) have guest entertainers, champagne waterfall and repeaters party. Service, with the exception one horrible cabin steward, was still good.

I agree, and those small touches are some of the superlatives that we enjoyed about sailing on HAL. The fresh flowers, the white gloved service, the full menu available in-cabin, the limited loudspeaker announcements, the laundry delivered wrapped in tissue paper and a gold seal on a wicker basket, the use of china instead of plastic for room service, and the plush throw blankets for balcony use were some of these superlatives.

We were also thankful for the quiet pool deck with no silly games or blaring music. And while the main theater entertainment left a lot to be desired, lecturers, bands, and the classical music trio were all great.

The reason why our HAL cruise fell short of our expectations is because the ship was not what we expected from a premium cruise line. Frayed, discolored, and worn carpet, wall coverings peeling off and stained, gaudy and outdated decor intermingled with the multi-million dollar art collection. Overall the ship was not to our liking. There were areas of the ship that we loved, like the Crow's Nest and the Greenhouse Spa, but others we just avoided. Service, while very nice, wasn't much more special than what we've experienced on more budget-minded cruise lines.

As mentioned above, food wasn't much better than what we've experienced on Carnival (and we had some food connoisseurs in our group of 14 who weren't impressed with the cuisine except for when the Pinnacle Grill was transformed into Le Cirque). Add a food poisoning incident which caused 2 of our group members to miss Juneau and you'll see why I'm not praising HAL in the culinary department.

I've always believed that a big reason why people return from a cruise dissatisfied is because of unmet expectations. Overall, HAL is a few notches above Carnival, but IMHO, they fall short of their "Signature of Excellence" moniker.

I had read your review when first posted on the Hal thread. Just reread it and you actually gave it a very good review! You said that you didn't eat many nights in the MDR but on Lido instead and at the Pinnacle Grill. Is it fair to judge the food in the MDR based on a couple of nights!

I have not sailed the Westerdam but have sailed three of their other Ships. Maybe Westerdam needed a dry dock because I did not see those problems on the Ships I've sailed on. As you mentioned in your review maybe the decor is not your style! Also, you just sailed two brand new Ships with the Allure and Breeze so given the difference in style, decor, etc. that may have influenced your opinion.

You have a small child and had other children with you. You said in your review you would sail HAL again for Itinerary but realized that at this stage in your life with a young family it's just not for you at this time. I so agree. I wouldn't sail HAL with my Grandkids but would (and did) with Carnival and would with RCL definitely. You also said that the kids didn't spend much time in the HAL kid's club. Maybe that also restricted you from fully experiencing what HAL has to offer and others enjoy about them such as the Wine Tastings, Cooking Classes, Cooking Demonstrations, etc.

Just a suggestion but maybe it would be better to stick with the kid friendly lines! Not all cruise lines are for everyone and HAL or Princess would not be my cruise line of choice with kids! :)

why is this being run on the Carnival Site?

if We did not like Carnival..Princess or such......we would not be here.

I love Princess. Love it. I love the food. I love the staff. I love the activities. I love the vibe of the ship. I love the Cruise Directors.

I admit the production shows are bad. And they show them forever. Other than that....I love it.

I have sailed Celebrity. The food was not good. Except the cookies. They were fantastic. entertainment was good. activities great. But Not Princess.

I was totally happy with Carnival until they started selling..and selling it cheaply..Platinum perks. FTTF. cheap and non classy.

HAL..I have been on the Westerdam.............twice. it was like a private cruise. I liked it. A lot. enjoyed the Fresh flowers too. The food was the best of any cruise ship I have ever been on. Totally.

I'm going to suggest that it's by design? I'm sure they generate more revenue from putting a cabin there than quarter machines. That said, the last thing I'm doing on a 7, 10, or 15 day cruise is laundry. If I ever take a longer cruise, maybe I'll reconsider...yea, probably not. :D

I totally agree!! Now I haven't sailed Princess so I am certainly not going to compare them with anybody. You're comparing 3 companies that build 100,000+ ton class ships and say that Princess ships are designed better because of "self service laundry"?

That has to be the silliest thing I've ever heard. :D I'm guessing you meant that as a joke.....:eek: Saving money on a $5000 cruise by doing your own laundry, what would you save? $20???

Why does one expect classy on the mainstream cruise lines? What do you really expect for a 10 buck dinner and show? Stop complaining and move to seaborn, crystal, etc if you want classy. But I'd rather put a fork in my eye, tried it and it was like a week at grandmas.

So pay up or shut up already,,

Why does one expect classy on the mainstream cruise lines? What do you really expect for a 10 buck dinner and show? Stop complaining and move to seaborn, crystal, etc if you want classy. But I'd rather put a fork in my eye, tried it and it was like a week at grandmas.

So pay up or shut up already,,

Harsh but fair.:D

I sail Carnival frequently and the others including Celebrity not so often for one reason, value. If I find a Celebrity or Princess cruise for around the same price I prefer them since IMO they are a bit more upscale. RCCL not so much. But I've never taken any cruise I didn't like.

That has to be the silliest thing I've ever heard. :D I'm guessing you meant that as a joke.....:eek: Saving money on a $5000 cruise by doing your own laundry, what would you save? $20???

Plenty of reasons for wanting to do your own laundry, including allergies and certain clothes that can't be machine dried.

Edited by SadieN

I sail Carnival frequently and the others including Celebrity not so often for one reason, value. If I find a Celebrity or Princess cruise for around the same price I prefer them since IMO they are a bit more upscale. RCCL not so much. But I've never taken any cruise I didn't like.

Good call, the right itinerary for the right price is the best value.:D

I had read your review when first posted on the Hal thread. Just reread it and you actually gave it a very good review!

Just a suggestion but maybe it would be better to stick with the kid friendly lines! Not all cruise lines are for everyone and HAL or Princess would not be my cruise line of choice with kids! :)

The cruise was indeed a great cruise. I just didn't love HAL. But I do agree with you that under different circumstances I would've enjoyed it even more.

We are sailing on Princess next year, but it will be just my wife and I. I'm looking forward to that cruise even though several reviews for the Royal Princess have been less than stellar. But we want to experience a more elegant and sedated cruise for our wedding anniversary. I think that the Royal will deliver that.

We will also be taking a family cruise earlier next year. That time it will be on Enchantment of the Seas. Now, that one will be a full blown family cruise, with a pre-cruise visit to Legoland :eek: and we will be taking full advantage of the Royal Babies and Tots program! :D

Plenty of reasons for wanting to do your own laundry, including allergies and certain clothes that can't be machine dried.

True, but apparently not the reason why that person mentioned the $4 self serve laundry.

I agree that when you're spending a couple of thousand dollars on a cruise, another $20 for laundry shouldn't be that much of a deal, but some people do allow it to tarnish their overall cruise experience.

We signed up for unlimited laundry on our last cruise on HAL ($50) and it was worth every penny. It was definitely better than doing my own laundry, even if it had only been $4.

We go on cruises to get away from the cold weather and to see different ports. After the second or third cruise, we quit going to the shows, never did the bingo thing and pretty much entertained ourselves with the group we are with.

I find it ironic that I read on here daily if you can wear jeans to the dining room,can you get by wearing shorts on Elegant Night, smuggle booze onboard, etc. The next posting will be how bad the cruise lines are going downhill, that they don't have the "class" that they use to have. You can't have both.

There are classy lines out there if you want class. Look around you. The whole world is becoming less and less formal every day. Women and men use to wear hats, suits to work, church. Now it's jeans. Office workers look forward to "Casual Fridays". Carnival provides a nice cruise at a reasonable price for the average cruiser. The higher priced lines provide for the cruiser who wants a little more.

This is not accurate. If CCL was in fact loosing customers in droves, these changes would be reversed quick fast and in a hurry.

Keep in mind that we posters here on CC are by in large a minority of the cruising population. So while some may voice dissatisfaction regarding the product, it by no means suggests that all cruise passengers feel that way.

Of course CCL is losing customers in droves, it is quite obvious! Check out cabin prices, they are the lowest they have ever been! Why? Because cabin prices are market driven. To sail full they are lowered until they can sail full. If demand is high, they can raise them.

Things have gotten so incredibly bad for CCL that Investers Daily reported that last quarter, CCL stopped this practice and is willing to have ships sail partially full. Yup, you heard right- partially full. The thinking here is that this will help firm up pricing.

If customers were not staying away in droves, this would not be necessary.

Oh yeah, it was also reported that RCL and NCL are enjoying an increase in bookings- former CCL cruisers have fled to other lines.

Even CCL admits bookings are down- you wann call CCL a liar?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/carnival-forecasts-fourth-quarter-results-trailing-estimates.html

Of course CCL is losing customers in droves, it is quite obvious! Check out cabin prices, they are the lowest they have ever been! Why? Because cabin prices are market driven. To sail full they are lowered until they can sail full. If demand is high, they can raise them.

Things have gotten so incredibly bad for CCL that Investers Daily reported that last quarter, CCL stopped this practice and is willing to have ships sail partially full. Yup, you heard right- partially full. The thinking here is that this will help firm up pricing.

Oh yeah, it was also reported that RCL and NCL are enjoying an increase in bookings- former CCL cruisers have fled to other lines.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/carnival-forecasts-fourth-quarter-results-trailing-estimates.html

That's cool. Carnival is and always will be the best cruise line in the world! Millions of others would agree

I been sailing on Carnival since 1992. 23 Carnival cruises in all. Last year we cruised on Carnival as well as my first RCCL cruise the Allure of the seas. This year we are booked on the Allure over New Years, and the Carnival Dream for Feb 1. My best times on carnival was the 1990s to 2003. IMO right now RCCL is on top of there game. I sail both now and I can say the quality of food, shows, ships, and service RCCL is way ahead. RCCL has the windjammer which is there lido food. I thought I was in the main dinning room. The quality of the food,the selection, and the service was outstanding. RCCL has waiters up on there Lido deck at night. Carnival has very little to eat up on the lido at night. Carnivals prices are much better. Carnival will get you to the same place.

If so, why does not Carnival ever, and I mean ever, high in polls?

Because those who conduct the polls never do it in a good light. Carnival is a fabulous cruise line. I will agree that if you are into very fine dining and very top of the line stuff, there may be other options. But besides this, Carnival is the best!

Because those who conduct the polls never do it in a good light. Carnival is a fabulous cruise line. I will agree that if you are into very fine dining and very top of the line stuff, there may be other options. But besides this, Carnival is the best!

Who conducts the polls that have shared this with you?

I lost you here. In what areas is Carnival the best?

So, it is the pollsters fault that they never do it in a good light. Please explain to me what you mean by "never do it in a good light". Do you think that all polls and reviews by cruising web sites are biased against Carnival?

So, it is the pollsters fault that they never do it in a good light. Please explain to me what you mean by "never do it in a good light". Do you think that all polls and reviews by cruising web sites are biased against Carnival?

That's because Carnival is afraid to turn on the lights...sorry, couldn't resist that one.

No David Clark.

You need to re read my comment.

I was referring to the fact that Carnival is not loosing droves of customers due to some of the changes they have made to the on board experience.

You on the other hand are referring to the consumer market reaction/aftermath of the Triumph incident; which has been hashed and rehashed countless times already. The incident, which has greatly affected Carnival Cruise Lines and to a certain extent Carnival Corporation, continues to do so and will continue on for at least the next two to three fiscal quarters, that's a fact. As a result, bookings are down, and consumer sentiment has taken a hit. However what we have seen, continue to see, and project to see in the future is a slow but steady trend in consumer demand and sentiment in an ascending manner.

By the way its not "Investers"; the correct spelling is Investors:o

Edited by cjknox

No David Clark.

You need to re read my comment.

I was referring to the fact that Carnival is not loosing droves of customers due to some of the changes they have made to the on board experience.

You on the other hand are referring to the consumer market reaction/aftermath of the Triumph incident; which has been hashed and rehashed countless times already. The incident, which has greatly affected Carnival Cruise Lines and to a certain extent Carnival Corporation, continues to do so and will continue on for at least the next two to three fiscal quarters, that's a fact. As a result, bookings are down, and consumer sentiment has taken a hit. However what we have seen, continue to see, and project to see in the future is a slow but steady trend in consumer demand and sentiment in an ascending manner.

By the way its not "Investers"; the correct spelling is Investors:o

Again, you are totally wrong. The Triumph incident is just a memory. HAL and Princess bookings are hurting. You want to attribute that to the Triumph? Really? Then how can you explain the increased demand for RCL and NCL berths?

C'mon, explain away- bookings are up for NCL and RCL, are down for all the mainstream Carnival lines. If people were afraid to cruise, they would not just bypass all Carnival lines and sail RCL and NCL.

It is obvious; the word is out- Carnival is the line of the cutbacks.