Travel Insurance WITH pre-exiting condition.

bazzaw

I have recently learned something very important.

Over a number of years we have used a travel insurance company - which have been relatively cheaper than others and which we have been happy with overall. I have always been aware that there are some pre-existing medical conditions that the Company will cover - and other conditions for which there was no cover. This has not been much of a consideration for us because we are fortunate enough to have no problematic pre-existing conditions. However - A friend of ours does have a condition for which the Company would offer no cover at all!!

However -- we have discovered another group of Companies , which , for this particular condition and others, MAY offer cover after they assess the condition. My friend did the online assessment --and guess what, they offered her cover for an extra premium. This also was after her own Doctor told her explicitly that she would get no travel insurance anywhere.

After that Doctor's advice, she is very nervous -- but we have the offer of Insurance in written form, including the questions (and answers to them) that formed the online assessment.

By the way - the condition is Bronchiactisis.

Has anybody had any further experience of this matter -- particularly in relation to specific pre-existing conditions like this one??

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Yes.

I have found most insurance policies allow either high blood pressure medication OR cholesterol medication to be taken without penalty, but not both.

What I did was email different companies, mentioning specifically what medications my husband was on and asking for a quote.

I found that the companies that gave the cheapest general online quote were not necessarily the ones that gave the best special needs quote.

My finding was that if you have a special condition but can show it has not hospitalized you in the last 12 months, they are probably willing to cover it. But if your health is unstable, I think it would be tricky getting insurance.

A friend who does a lot of travel told me she has top travel insurance via their credit card (which is a top of the range one, I forget what type). And that insurance is free, apparently.

A friend who does a lot of travel told me she has top travel insurance via their credit card (which is a top of the range one, I forget what type). And that insurance is free, apparently.

Credit Card insurance never covers pre existing conditions.

--and guess what, they offered her cover for an extra premium. This also was after her own Doctor told her explicitly that she would get no travel insurance anywhere.

After that Doctor's advice, she is very nervous -- but we have the offer of Insurance in written form, including the questions (and answers to them) that formed the online assessment.

By the way - the condition is Bronchiactisis.

Has anybody had any further experience of this matter -- particularly in relation to specific pre-existing conditions like this one??

Barry

If you have it approved in the quote and the insurance co is a legit one I don't understand the angst .... don't know too many Dr's that are uptodate on travel insurance conditions.....:rolleyes:... the declared pre-existing is attracting an additional premium so one would assume if all correct information has been given in regards to the current treatment etc of the condition it is covered.....if still in doubt ring them...........and as always READ THE FINE PRINT.......

not the same condition but.........

I have managed after searching and many knock backs to get John cover for our Arcadia cruise out of the US in February, pre-existing = cardiac CABG x triple, no heart attack, plus a leaky valve, from Insure and Go had to pay an extra $600 odd to insure his conditions but who cares he is covered. I advised them by email that we were cruising from the U.S to Australia and they emailed back that he is covered for that ...so I have that in writing..... not that i don't trust insurance co's:rolleyes:... just in case.

And in theory they may appear to be free but nothing in life is free.:D

Not exactly free, but I am not going to worry about a 1.5% TA surcharge on $250 (the minimum we have to pay on the card to qualify). That is a whole $3.75. If we pay the deposits for two people on the card ($400x2 for some cruises) that is still only $12. One drink each on the cruise would cost more than that!

We also pay an annual fee on the card, but that gives us several other benefits on out bank accounts.

If you have it approved in the quote and the insurance co is a legit one I don't understand the angst .... don't know too many Dr's that are uptodate on travel insurance conditions.....:rolleyes:...

Yep, go to a doctor for medical advice. Go to an insurer for their coverage. Wouldn’t ask a doctor for insurance advice, and I wouldn’t ask an insurer for medical advice.

Credit Card insurance never covers pre existing conditions.

WE travel with cc insurance, declared pre existing conditions and received approval

"Cover for claims relating to your existing medical conditions, as disclosed on the travellers medical appraisal form is

APPROVED"

It cost $75 for the assessment. Maybe it depends on the condition. Luckily we did not have to claim.

Not exactly free, but I am not going to worry about a 1.5% TA surcharge on $250 (the minimum we have to pay on the card to qualify). That is a whole $3.75. If we pay the deposits for two people on the card ($400x2 for some cruises) that is still only $12. One drink each on the cruise would cost more than that!

We also pay an annual fee on the card, but that gives us several other benefits on out bank accounts.

The bank providing the card will be getting the money for the costs from somewhere or someone . BTW, I have a card too, provides travel insurance, no fees, no costs, but it is assocaited with the mortgage, so I am paying for it indirectly.:D

The bank providing the card will be getting the money for the costs from somewhere or someone . BTW, I have a card too, provides travel insurance, no fees, no costs, but it is assocaited with the mortgage, so I am paying for it indirectly.:D

Paying indirectly but presumably no extra on your mortage to have this card, therefore it is 'free' to you. (Maybe you would have to pay a CC surcharge to the TA.) This is quite different from forking out a couple of hundred dollars for travel insurance that is only good for one cruise. If a person has to claim, then the amount paid for the premium has been well spent, but it is 'insurance'. Most people don't have to claim and obviously we don't know when we will have to.

We wouldn't travel without insurance and never have. I have just been pointing out that the 'free' travel insurance is excellent and well worth looking at. It might not be the best option for some people in some circumstances.

I wouldn't listen to a Doctors advice regarding travel insurance either. Some have their own agenda and fear litigation. My husband's Aunt loved travelling but when her doctor retired and a new doctor took over the practice he advised her not to go travelling despite her health being reasonable for her age. A new doctor has said yes to travel but sadly it is too late...that ship has sailed and she missed out on a good 8 years of travel.

Regards Elaine.

On a recent trip/cruise San francisco and Alaska I was unable to get any cover at all, due pre-existing. (stent)

I tried all the ones I had used before,Covermore, TID, 1 cover and Medibank Private travel ins. I was about to cancel but my Daughter that was travelling with me kept hunting around and came up with Insure and go,they covered me, albeit at a price, $1900 for 19 days which I happily paid.

Would have cost a lot more if anything happened in the States and I had no Cover. :)

Our CC Travel Insurance covers certain pre existing conditions. It is with Zurich.

OK, I will amend it then. If your credit card Insurance allows it, there is cover for a few pre-existing but benign pre-existing conditions. To get further cover, if your credit card allows it (mine don't) you need to seek approval for that.

There are many more conditions that are auto-covered in "paid for" travel Insurance plans. For instance, there are just 13 pre-existing conditions that are automatically coverd in St George - Allianz Gold and Platinum card; in a TID policy, there are 43 conditions.

Paying indirectly but presumably no extra on your mortage to have this card, therefore it is 'free' to you. (Maybe you would have to pay a CC surcharge to the TA.) This is quite different from forking out a couple of hundred dollars for travel insurance that is only good for one cruise. If a person has to claim, then the amount paid for the premium has been well spent, but it is 'insurance'. Most people don't have to claim and obviously we don't know when we will have to.

We wouldn't travel without insurance and never have. I have just been pointing out that the 'free' travel insurance is excellent and well worth looking at. It might not be the best option for some people in some circumstances.

Agreed:D

Yes.

I have found most insurance policies allow either high blood pressure medication OR cholesterol medication to be taken without penalty, but not both.

1 Cover insurance will cover these conditions with the following provisor.......

22) *Hypercholesterolaemia (High Cholesterol) - provided you do not also suffer from a known cardiovascular disease and/or diabetes

23) *Hyperlipidaemia (High Blood Lipids) - provided you do not also suffer from a known cardiovascular disease and/or diabetes

24) *Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - provided you do not also suffer from a known cardiovascular disease and/or diabetes

There are others that are covered as well.