Single supplements and smoking

Willow1686

I was surprised to get an email about reduced fares bookings from Holland America, since I have never sailed with them, and never asked for it; it seems they got my details from another company in the same group whIch I have sailed with. The rates are very attractive for the long voyages, so:

Can anyone enlighten me on their single supplement rates? I know they offer cabin sharing but since I have a lung disease I would not wish to disturb a roommate. Equally I would want to stay away from smokers, for obvious reasons.

It occurs to me that a sea view would be safer than a balcony, since people can smoke on balconies and I might be on the balcony next door; has anyone any experience of this, please?

I was surprised to get an email about reduced fares bookings from Holland America, since I have never sailed with them, and never asked for it; it seems they got my details from another company in the same group whIch I have sailed with. The rates are very attractive for the long voyages, so:

Can anyone enlighten me on their single supplement rates? I know they offer cabin sharing but since I have a lung disease I would not wish to disturb a roommate. Equally I would want to stay away from smokers, for obvious reasons.

It occurs to me that a sea view would be safer than a balcony, since people can smoke on balconies and I might be on the balcony next door; has anyone any experience of this, please?

Although we have not been bothered by smoke on the balcony - others have, so if you have an issue I would book an ocean view. Smoking is not permitted in the cabins so you will be fine.

Single supplement on HAL seems to vary - around 160% - 190% from what I have seen reported.

I would check on line or call HAL for approximate pricing to get a clear picture :)

Welcome to the HAL board and enjoy your cruise :)

I almost always get balconies lately and I seem to almost always have smokers next to me. I have been also called a liar by some posters so clearly I seem to have worse luck. I've never paid less than 200 percent for single supp. If you get a balcony you will pay that. If you are doing an ocean view on a longer cruise it could be anywhere from 160 to 200. If you do a fake booking on the website for the cruise you are interested in that will give you the answer.

I did a single share recently and the match was supposed to be gender and smoking status.

When I booked the rep said they would match gender and try to match age. Not sure if smoking status is now dropped with the rule change to no smoking in cabins. I ended up not getting matched. :)

If you can sail on short notice you may be able to get a better rate and single supplement.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

For an Inside or Oceanview it's usually an extra 60%, but once you get up to balcony or higher it's 100%. Princess is the same. On rare occasions I've gotten 40%. And if you accept an upsell the cost of the upsell is 100%.

748 days at sea....38 ships.....7 continents

I've been checking single supplements for several cruises next years. Some cruises the supplement went from 60% to 100%. HAL seems to be cutting back on cruises with less than 100% extra costs. Bookings made after the final payment date seem to be only 100%.

I am not a smoker. The only smoking area I saw on my last cruise was the port have of the deck aft of the Lido.

Thanks all!

I will leave it a little longer to see if they start offering low single supplements:D

Don't hold your breath. I personally have never seen them offer lower single supplements as an inducement to buy. The best you can do is find an itinerary with a lower supplement -- they will NOT be advertised as such, you just have to test the prices (or have your TA find one). Low will probably be in the 160-175% range -- most itineraries are 200%.

We just returned from a cruise on the Noordam and were driven off of our balcony by smokers. Since other lines have banned smoking on balconies it seems smokers have moved to HAL. We enjoyed our cruise otherwise. Given your situation I would urge you to avoid a balcony cabin. Otherwise I would not hesitate to give HAL a try.

I'm not familiar with their single policies but a travel agent or HAL's website should give you answers.

The actual percentage of the supplement may not go down but if the ship isn't selling well the total dollars may go down ( thus lowering the cost).

This is such good advice. I gave up crunching the numbers on the calculator quite a while back to figure the single supplement percentage.

When I find an itinerary I like on a ship I like, I figure what it is "worth" to me in terms of daily cost for the cruisefare. I check the cruisefare and divide by the number of days on board. If I get a near match, I book right away. If things are "off" I may consider a somewhat lower cabin category or sit back and wait (hope) for an overall price drop.

Whether the ss percentage rate is low or high is something that people can be distracted by, but in the end the solo cruiser has to decide what cruise is best for them and what they are willing to pay for it.

To Willow, the OP, you might want to go to "Special Interest Cruising" and click on "Solo Cruisers." There is a whole community there of experienced "soloists" who are very kind and helpful with advice and information.

Happy cruising to all,

Kate

This is such good advice. I gave up crunching the numbers on the calculator quite a while back to figure the single supplement percentage.

When I find an itinerary I like on a ship I like, I figure what it is "worth" to me in terms of daily cost for the cruisefare. I check the cruisefare and divide by the number of days on board. If I get a near match, I book right away. If things are "off" I may consider a somewhat lower cabin category or sit back and wait (hope) for an overall price drop.

Whether the ss percentage rate is low or high is something that people can be distracted by, but in the end the solo cruiser has to decide what cruise is best for them and what they are willing to pay for it.

To Willow, the OP, you might want to go to "Special Interest Cruising" and click on "Solo Cruisers." There is a whole community there of experienced "soloists" who are very kind and helpful with advice and information.

Happy cruising to all,

Kate

This is great advice. Worrying about what percentage the single supplement is can ruin your cruise. Find an itinerary you like at a price you are comfortable with and deal with it. Worrying about the unfairness of life will drive you to an early grave. :)

(On a personal note, the most "unfair" part of my single supplement for the world cruise isn't the cost, it's that my late husband is not joining me.)

Do not book a balcony on a HAL ship unless you enjoy breathing second hand smoke. As has been already stated most other cruise lines have banned or are in the process of banning smoking on balconies so naturally the smokers are coming over to HAL. It is not just cigarette smoke either, cigars are very popular on HAL ships.

You could do what my mother used to do, she would book a multi shared cabin but because of the complaints about her heavy snoring she would soon be moved to a cabin on her own.

Most ships go out full these days and there often would be no cabin into which to move someone. They keep lowering the price until they sell all the cabins. There are empties usually only due to last minute cancellation/no shows.