Disappointing Thanksgiving Navigator cruise

matj2000

We have never sailed on Navigator ( will be on her in Feb:D ) but have sailed once out of Galveston. I remember the embarkment being a little rough but our cruise on Voyager was one of the best! It is inconvenient to have to fly into Houston and find transportation to Galveston, but it is also inconvenient to sail out of Port Canaveral for the same reason. We had really great dining companions on the Voyager, and several were from Texas. We loved it and are looking forward to the Navigator after she is refurbished. For what it's worth, it was no picnic to sail out of Port Libery either, but if that is where I have to go for the cruise I want, no biggy... I don't have to spend the whole week there!

No way can you compare PC to Galveston. There are 5 or 6 rental car places right outside the entrance to PC. Also no one way fees, free shuttles to the port, and great car rates. There are also a couple of small amusement places in Orlando that a few people like to visit.

No way can you compare PC to Galveston. There are 5 or 6 rental car places right outside the entrance to PC. Also no one way fees, free shuttles to the port, and great car rates. There are also a couple of small amusement places in Orlando that a few people like to visit.

Agree 100%. My impression is that Port Canaveral views the cruise business as something to promote and make major investments in. It seems to me Galveston just tolerates the cruise business.

Edited by clarea

Agree 100%. My impression is that Port Canaveral views the cruise business as something to promote and make major investments in. It seems to me Galveston just tolerates the cruise business.

This is correct.

PC is a wonderful place to sail out of.

The only reason we use Galveston recently is because it is only 78 miles from our house.

I would much prefer to drive FL every cruise except my wife hates the car ride back.

I have lived in Houston for 15 years and only gone down there(Galveston) less than 10 times.

The terminal for RC looks like a bus station.

Edited by matj2000

We sailed the first cruise after a ship's repositioning cruise once (RCCL ship), and vowed never again.

FWIW, I've found benefits to taking a ships last cruise before a re-positioning. ;)

I've been on 3 cruises where the ship did a TA the next week. They tend to sell some Caribbean based shirts and other items at deeper than normal and I've talked to many happy crew members about to see their families for the first time in awhile.

So - you admit to having limited port experience

In case you are still here - I admit to no such thing. I have cruised over 20 times - that hardly makes me inexperienced regarding port issues. I have cruised various times from 6 different ports. If you would care to state that you have cruised out of Galveston more than once, then your views might be valid. Like I said, sorry you had issues - whatever they were. Galveston is a very good port for many travelers, but definitely NOT for every traveler. I heartily agree it is a better port for those that drive rather than those that fly.

ps - Galveston does not always have a 2 night minimum. Like many tourist destinations, it depends on the season.

People tend to forget that Galveston had a Royal Carib ship year round for quite some time. Once the port personnel get a groove on, many of those issues that CAN be controlled should be fixed.

Edited by wolfganghowell

We have never had trouble finding a one night stay on Galveston Island and there are also many, many options within 10 miles on the mainland if you just want to be close to the ship on embark day. Parking is plentiful and affordable. While there are no giant mice, Moody Gardens and Schliterban are great for a day at a fraction of the cost.

Even with the issues we experienced, I would still rate it far above Cape Liberty (it actually is a bus terminal) as well as either LA port or NYC. Our worst experience-by far - was Tampa.

We were on this sailing, and had a positive experience. We did have an incompetent check-in clerk, but she was quickly helped by a supervisor. We noticed upon debark, she was staffing a door and no longer at the training session / peptalk being held for the rest of the counter staff.

We did notice that there was little or conflicting info about Platinum or Priority boarding after check-in, the crew was down at the TO SHIP end. So we did what we always do, kept our eyes/ears open and watched what was happening. In minutes we were on the opposite end and walked right on as soon as they opened the line. We did have tablemates (non priority) say they waited 3 hours in a very crowded Terminal 2.

The ship indeed is ready for a refurb, but we expected that. We saw very few crew issues on board. And really the only thing in memory is an odd shortage of pool towels all the time.

MDR was great. Entertainment was average plus. Customer service was well above average.

Debark had WAY TOO FEW porters in Terminal 2. That needs to be fixed. But even with that, we were at the shuttle in 30 mins. Of course if everyone would tip better, that would help the supply.

I do think it was odd the Captain tried for about an hour to hold position at GC. We were Aft so we heard all the propulsion adjustments. It seemed clear to the eye and certainly any high tech weather forecast - that wind alone would bust the stop.

We already have a cabin hold on a summer trip...same ol Galveston port, same ol Navigator...no wait, make that a newly sparkled Navigator.

Welcome to Texas Navigator. Those of you with attitudes and odd expectations, please book CCL Magic next door, or try Florida.

FWIW, I've found benefits to taking a ships last cruise before a re-positioning. ;)

I've been on 3 cruises where the ship did a TA the next week. They tend to sell some Caribbean based shirts and other items at deeper than normal and I've talked to many happy crew members about to see their families for the first time in awhile.

We were on Indy a few years ago just before it was going to go over to the UK after being here year round. There were a lot of unhappy crew members from Caribbean islands who would not be seeing family for a long time and they also were not happy about leaving the warm Caribbean climate.

We were on this sailing, and had a positive experience. We did have an incompetent check-in clerk, but she was quickly helped by a supervisor. We noticed upon debark, she was staffing a door and no longer at the training session / peptalk being held for the rest of the counter staff.

We did notice that there was little or conflicting info about Platinum or Priority boarding after check-in, the crew was down at the TO SHIP end. So we did what we always do, kept our eyes/ears open and watched what was happening. In minutes we were on the opposite end and walked right on as soon as they opened the line. We did have tablemates (non priority) say they waited 3 hours in a very crowded Terminal 2.

The ship indeed is ready for a refurb, but we expected that. We saw very few crew issues on board. And really the only thing in memory is an odd shortage of pool towels all the time.

MDR was great. Entertainment was average plus. Customer service was well above average.

Debark had WAY TOO FEW porters in Terminal 2. That needs to be fixed. But even with that, we were at the shuttle in 30 mins. Of course if everyone would tip better, that would help the supply.

I do think it was odd the Captain tried for about an hour to hold position at GC. We were Aft so we heard all the propulsion adjustments. It seemed clear to the eye and certainly any high tech weather forecast - that wind alone would bust the stop.

We already have a cabin hold on a summer trip...same ol Galveston port, same ol Navigator...no wait, make that a newly sparkled Navigator.

Welcome to Texas Navigator. Those of you with attitudes and odd expectations, please book CCL Magic next door, or try Florida.

We too were on this sailing and had a mostly positive experience. Traffic to the ship was horrendous and took forever, but once we got into the terminal it went quickly because DF is in a wheelchair and we got to go straight to the front of the line. (Sorry everyone else, I saw the huge lines........) The only real problem we had was the boiling hot water coming out of the faucet at various hours of the day with no way to turn it to cold. Yes it was crowded, but we knew that it would be. Yes there were loads of kids, but we knew that too. It was a holiday sailing with a lot of families. Overall, a pretty good cruise; service was good, dining room food was average to good and we got everything we ordered up front. No real complaints........

We too were on this sailing and had a mostly positive experience. Traffic to the ship was horrendous and took forever, but once we got into the terminal it went quickly because DF is in a wheelchair and we got to go straight to the front of the line. (Sorry everyone else, I saw the huge lines........) The only real problem we had was the boiling hot water coming out of the faucet at various hours of the day with no way to turn it to cold. Yes it was crowded, but we knew that it would be. Yes there were loads of kids, but we knew that too. It was a holiday sailing with a lot of families. Overall, a pretty good cruise; service was good, dining room food was average to good and we got everything we ordered up front. No real complaints........

That reminds me, we had a half a day when the toilets would not flush in the cabins around us.

PC is inconvenient because we have to fly into Orlando and hire a driver or shuttle to PC. We have to fly into Houston to get to Galveston. I can and did compare the two ports. We don't do rental cars so that is not an issue.

We sailed out of PC after spending a few days in Orlando... That was intentional and one reason we chose that particular cruise.

Hey, you don't have to agree with me ... Sometimes the port is just a means to cruise to a particular destination. I would prefer to be able to fly into the port city instead of paying a boatload ::rolleyes: of money to get to the ship.

We also were able to book Harbor House for one night, so I am looking forward to staying in Galveston overnight for the first time. :)

Galveston is a magical place... Incredible architecture, absolutely fascinating history, SO many neat things to do and see for everyone from kids to grandparents. As with every cruise port, to have the most amazing time you have to do some research.. get off the beaten path.. go where the locals go.

As others have said, it is usually only at holidays and Spring Break and possibly part of the summer when hotels have a 2-night minimum -- and very often, if you call the hotel directly to book instead of doing so online or through a chain's 800 number, they'll happily book you for one night.

No one can explain why there is only Enterprise left on the island after Ike... but people need to understand that car rental companies are private businesses -- they do what they want, build locations where they see fit. Galveston Island, the Port of Galveston, Royal Caribbean, none of them have any control over that. But if cruisers wish that there were more car rentals places, do what you would do in any other case like that -- call/email/smoke signal the companies and let them know you have money you'd like to give them in exchange for renting a car. Welcome to capitalism.

If you only treat Galveston as a place to hop on a ship, you're doing yourself a disservice. Broaden your horizons. :)

-gina-

I respectfully disagree with your assement of the missed port day. I was shocked to see us even bother pulling in to Georgetown harbor with the waves and wind. Frankly, I was relieved to get out of a non-refundable $400 Jet-Ski excursion that we would have been compelled take if we had dropped anchor. We've had ports cancelled before and I never seen a new Compass (or capers) printed on the fly with new things to do. Main dining room was opened for Lunch when it was supposed to be closed (while the staff was preparing a Special Thankgiving Dinner for 3500). Opening Stuido B for football was a masterstroke appreciated by many Cowboy fans and the parties that were moved from the Deck to the Promenade were ROCKING!

Our kids also had much better luck with their soda cards and DW and I enjoyed great service with our Beer and Wine package. We pre-pay our tips and seldom give more - but at the end of this cruise were moved to give generously to our Wine Steward, Waiter, Assitant Waiter, Room Steward and even the assitant Mater'd.

Granted, our outlook might be slightly slanted as DS won the free cruise with Bingo - but there is at least a 50% chance that we'll use it to Sail the Navigator again during Spring Break or in June.

Congrats! Free cruise WOW!! When these are won what is entailed?

No one can explain why there is only Enterprise left on the island after Ike... but people need to understand that car rental companies are private businesses -- they do what they want, build locations where they see fit.

-gina-

Actually, Hertz, among other rentals, is a publically traded company not a private business.

Actually, Hertz, among other rentals, is a publically traded company not a private business.

I don't mean how they're traded -- that makes zero difference unless you're looking to invest in one of them.

Seriously? That's what you took away from the entire post?

Edited by crazy4themouse
boneheaded typos

I don't mean how their traded -- that makes zero difference unless you're looking to invest in one of them.

Seriously? That's what you took away from the entire post?

Yup. You are the one that emphasized private business.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I can see where PC is a nice port. What I was attempting to point out was that if I said PC was the worst port in the 48 based on my ONE departure from there, I would be a bit melodramatic. It was our worst departure beating the following - all from various other ports: the 1st Carib cruise after a TA (FL), a weather delay (GV), an Easter cruise where half the ship were non Americans so customs was chaos (GV) and a NYE sailing (FL).

Moving on.... :)

There only was one other rental company in Galveston, (National ? ), but at least they were open on Sundays out of Terminal 1. It's not up to cruisers to provide the proper infrastructure in the homeport city, it's up to the port, cruise line, government, to entice these companies to set up shop there.

PC is inconvenient because we have to fly into Orlando and hire a driver or shuttle to PC. We have to fly into Houston to get to Galveston. I can and did compare the two ports. We don't do rental cars so that is not an issue.

We sailed out of PC after spending a few days in Orlando... That was intentional and one reason we chose that particular cruise.

Hey, you don't have to agree with me ... Sometimes the port is just a means to cruise to a particular destination. I would prefer to be able to fly into the port city instead of paying a boatload ::rolleyes: of money to get to the ship.

We also were able to book Harbor House for one night, so I am looking forward to staying in Galveston overnight for the first time. :)

misty57-

Hey, I'm from Illinois also (Chicago) so hubby and I have the exact same challenges that you do as far as the convenience/inconvenience of the ports. Transportation can be a little costly, BUT at the end of the day it's all about the cruise...just as you said. I'll be on Navigator 5/18, so I sure hope that you do a review. I'd love to hear your perspective on the "new" ship. Looked into Harbor House today, but it appears that they're completely booked for the date we want....may wind up at Moody Gardens instead for one night. Nice hotel, just expensive...:rolleyes:

There only was one other rental company in Galveston, (National ? ), but at least they were open on Sundays out of Terminal 1. It's not up to cruisers to provide the proper infrastructure in the homeport city, it's up to the port, cruise line, government, to entice these companies to set up shop there.

The rental companies have the wherewithall to figure out where to put their locations in order to be profitable. The three ships there now are filling up with Texans who are paying a premium not to fly and rent a car. If this changes and prices fall enough to attract more fly in cruisers, the demand for rental cars will be there and so will the cars.

I hate it when these thing get negative. I'm sorry you had problems on the cruise. We're on NOS over the Christmas holiday. My expectations aren't especially high although I hope it has improved in the next few weeks. Our cruise is going to Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

I've been on some pretty old ships and had a great time. Jubilee was our first cruise. It was so old Carnival sold it that same year. The entire ship smelled like sewer but it hooked us on cruising. That's just me. I love cruises and my kids love cruises. Imagine how thrilled me were on our next cruise when we boarded a Disney ship.

I don't really understand why people get defensive when someone doesn't like a particular port or ship. In my limited experience Barcelona was the worst embarkation port. Most of the ports in Italy were awful shipping yards but we can't decide if that cruise or Alaska was our favorite. I forget about it once I get onboard or I'm riding along the Amalfi coast or whale watching. I've mostly cruised from Galveston and I'm not really a fan of the port but it's just a place to get on and get off. We walked right on the ship in Port Canaveral and Seattle.

I get it that some people are more particular about details than I am. I would definitely be pissed (pardon the pun) if the toilet didn't flush. I don't like snotty staff either but it doesn't ruin my day and some people describe me as a bitch.