123 GO Promo

jaydeebee60

We booked and paid an $800 deposit of a cruise out of Sydney in April 2014.

I recently had a email saying that the 123 GO Promo was available and thought I would be able to take advantage of this by having added to my existing booking. I indicated I would be happy to pay the difference between my fare and the new fare (approx $200).

I have seen many times on this forum that this has been done. I emailed my TA who said it will only apply to new bookings and Celebrity wouldn't budge.

I am annoyed and feel that we are being penalised for booking early. If I wouldnt loose all of my $800 deposit I would cancel by booking.

It seems that different rules apply to each country. :mad:

Regards

Jay (Australia)

Regards

Jay (Australia)

You are absolutely correct. Different rules do indeed apply to different countries, but it is not Celebrity who makes those rules. The different rules are made by the different countries, each with their own set of "consumer protection" laws and regulations.

Your displeasure should be directed at your country's government not at Celebrity. The fact that ANY cruise line can operate in the morass of various national requirements and directives is truly astonishing.

Edited by teecee60

I recently had a email saying that the 123 GO Promo was available and thought I would be able to take advantage of this by having added to my existing booking. I indicated I would be happy to pay the difference between my fare and the new fare (approx $200).

I have seen many times on this forum that this has been done. I emailed my TA who said it will only apply to new bookings and Celebrity wouldn't budge.

I am annoyed and feel that we are being penalised for booking early. If I wouldnt loose all of my $800 deposit I would cancel by booking.

Regards

Jay (Australia)

Had the same thing for a cruise in feb next year which we booked early October i asked about the 123 promo and got the same answer its in Australia so not going to happen?

Then when I asked about my 1200.00 deposit refund from a cancelled cruise which I have now been waiting for 6 weeks it was basically we are looking into it Well thank you RCI

You are absolutely correct. Different rules do indeed apply to different countries, but it is not Celebrity who makes those rules. The different rules are made by the different countries, each with their own set of "consumer protection" laws and regulations.

Your displeasure should be directed at your country's government not at Celebrity. The fact that ANY cruise line can operate in the morass of various national requirements and directives is truly astonishing.

Sigh... This old chestnut.

There's no government regulation preventing a passenger from re-booking an existing offer.

It'd be like someone complaining about RCL not combining shareholder credits with other promotions and CCL does, and then someone else blames it on 'government regulation.' :rolleyes: Some people just let their biases show.

We are in the same situation-booked in November for Jan 2015 and have missed the 123 promo and the Solstice 5th birthday special. TA says there is nothing to be done. Different rules for Australia as opposed to the US simply down to competition-Celebrity charges us here in Oz higher prices and provides fewer benefits because it can, and still make a profit. Other bigger markets require it to be much more competitive. That being said, we LOVED our Celebrity cruise to Bermuda last year, and can't wait for our next one.

Different rules for Australia as opposed to the US simply down to competition-Celebrity charges us here in Oz higher prices and provides fewer benefits because it can, and still make a profit. Other bigger markets require it to be much more competitive.

Yep, it seems some haven't heard of a market economy, and the idea that companies will charge what the market will bear.

Many such examples of inequity can be easily found, all over the place!

We are in the same situation-booked in November for Jan 2015 and have missed the 123 promo and the Solstice 5th birthday special. TA says there is nothing to be done. Different rules for Australia as opposed to the US simply down to competition-Celebrity charges us here in Oz higher prices and provides fewer benefits because it can, and still make a profit. Other bigger markets require it to be much more competitive. That being said, we LOVED our Celebrity cruise to Bermuda last year, and can't wait for our next one.

To all you Australians. Teach the Australian arm of Royal Caribbean a lesson and bypass them in the future by booking in the States through one of the many websites.

Last year I was able to take advantage of the 123 offer well after I had originally booked and paid. I actually paid the full fare up front to lock in the exchange rate so if there was a situation that they could have said "no" was then, because they had the money, but they didn't.

We had a wonderfully cost effective cruise of the Med on Celebrity Refection. 10 days, Classic drinks package included and all gratuities paid for just under US 2000.00 per person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are looking to book a Celebrity cruise for the first time. If we book now, we can do the '123 Go' promo. My question is... if the price goes down after you book, promo or not, can you get the price adjusted to the lower rate like you can on other cruise lines? Thanks ahead of time.

Regards

Jay (Australia)

If your cruise is in April, your final payment date should not be until January or February. Why can't you cancel the original booking, get a refund of your deposit and re-book the cruise?

We are looking to book a Celebrity cruise for the first time. If we book now, we can do the '123 Go' promo. My question is... if the price goes down after you book, promo or not, can you get the price adjusted to the lower rate like you can on other cruise lines? Thanks ahead of time.

Generally if you go for a price reduction, you will lose any existing perks and pick up whatever perks are currently offered. It never hurts to ask though!;)

Regards

Jay (Australia)

Hi there Jay we hare experiencing the same thing,we are in Australia booked in April and they aren't budging.For some it seems very simple,they have either just found a drinks package added to their booking or they ring and not a problem.

We have rung and emailed and they aren't interested,we will keep at it and see what happens.It doesn't seem very consistent.

Sharon

If your cruise is in April, your final payment date should not be until January or February. Why can't you cancel the original booking, get a refund of your deposit and re-book the cruise?

Not sure about Australian rules but if same as UK then deposit is non refundable and to get promo would need to cancel lose deposit and rebook, which in some cases is worth it, others not.

Hi Jay.

Bob from the Gold Coast, Qld.

I know what you are going through mate. It is a rort. I have been researching Med Cruises for the summer of 2015, May/June and also the 123 Promo which is presently out for Celebrity. I am of the opinion for us it is perhaps better booking with an American T/A thus locking in the perks. Hope it all works out for the better for you.

Cheers Bob.

Sigh... This old chestnut.

There's no government regulation preventing a passenger from re-booking an existing offer.

It'd be like someone complaining about RCL not combining shareholder credits with other promotions and CCL does, and then someone else blames it on 'government regulation.' :rolleyes: Some people just let their biases show.

Isn't the issue (123 promo adding) caused by the fact that your deposit is not refundable? Are deposits refundable on other cruise lines? I do see your point if Celebrity does not allow refunds, but other cruise lines allow refunds. It would not make much sense to me.

I have often wonder if this is driven by the TA industry in certain countries.

Or is there some kind of regulation that requires deposits not be refundable?

No other regulations or requirements that would add cost for the cruise line or that protect TAs?

Just curious because I also have always thought that there are non Celebrity factors that lead to the different rules.

Thanks

Isn't the issue (123 promo adding) caused by the fact that your deposit is not refundable? Are deposits refundable on other cruise lines? I do see your point if Celebrity does not allow refunds, but other cruise lines allow refunds. It would not make much sense to me.

Deposits are also refundable here in Australia for Celebrity, up to final payment date. So it's not tied to the refund/cancellation deadlines.

I have a cruise booked on the Summit for February 2015. TA is telling me that she can't get the 123 promo added to my booking because it is for new bookings only. I also told her to cancel and rebook, and she said Celebrity is watching for this and it will be caught:(

Not sure about Australian rules but if same as UK then deposit is non refundable and to get promo would need to cancel lose deposit and rebook, which in some cases is worth it, others not.

Bummer!:(

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I have a cruise booked on the Summit for February 2015. TA is telling me that she can't get the 123 promo added to my booking because it is for new bookings only. I also told her to cancel and rebook, and she said Celebrity is watching for this and it will be caught:(

Friends and I booked a March 2015 cruise in April. Our TA was able to add the drinks package promo no problem at all last Friday. No price increase either.

Edited by koolforkatz

The issue described has nothing whatsoever to do with the Australian Government but rather Celebrity's rules about this promotion.

My US travel agent is checking to see whether I can get this promo as I only booked last week.

Edited by Pushka

Tell her to take the risk and rebook. At this time last year I had the same problem but with a bit of pressure from me I got the Drinks Package from the 123 Promotion added and I was able to retain the same room. To retain the room was very important because the original cost was very low.

My TA though was based in the States whilst a I am based in New Zealand.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Deposits are also refundable here in Australia for Celebrity, up to final payment date. So it's not tied to the refund/cancellation deadlines.

Thank you. It certainly makes no sense that you can add the Promo if you pay the current rate prior to the final payment in the US and not in Australia. Even though the TA says Celebrity will not allow it I would be inclined to cancel. I would rebook the next day even if I had to use another TA. Seems like an idle threat to me, but of course I live in the US. Perhaps this is why some people in Australia say they have been successful. I doubt if the US market would tolerate such a policy. Too many other cruise choices.

Good luck to those outside of final payment trying to add the promo at the current rate.

We have had the same issue and honestly its frustrating. To the previous poster, we cant even cancel and rebook because Celebrity has worded into their terms and conditions that any cruise cancelled and rebooked under the same name and sail date during the promotion will also not be eligible for the promo. Our TA said if it was any other cruise line we would have no problems, but Celebrity refuse to budge. We have already seen 2 x 123 promos come and go since booking (we booked 5 days before the 123 promo wad released).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app