Riveria crossing: Part 1 of 3 - the ship

DavidTheWonderer

We just returned from the Riviera Barcelona-Miami crossing. Rather than jump into sldispatcher's excellent posts on the cruise, I will start my own thread. This is in part so it is not as obvious that his prose skills are far superior to mine. Also, everyone's has different perspectives on this sort of thing.

I will be posting three parts. Part 1, this one, is about the ship, cabins, lounges, etc. Part 2 will be about the restaurants and food. Part 3 will be a few things that didn't fit into the other parts.

We have cruised with Regent 11 times, and this is our first non-Regent cruise. With one small exception in Part 3, I will not be comparing Oceania with Regent, although those cruises certainly have impacted my standards and expectations.

With one exception in Part 3, I will also not be doing a day-by-day review.

Since the crossing had 9 sea days and 4 days in port, I will not comment on the ports but will concentrate on Riviera herself.

For sea days, of course, all passengers are on board. On this cruise there were some days with poor weather which means almost everybody was inside. Thus the facilities of the ship were taxed about as heavily as possible. In general, she stood up well to the crowds.

As you will see, in general the cruise was a very positive experience. However, there were some "BUT ..."s that I will also discuss.

The ship really in stunning, as noted by many others. In designing a ship, space is always very valuable, and it was interesting to note some of the decisions that were made for Riviera. Lots of space was devoted to the beautiful Horizons lounge, including a well-used dance floor. Lots of space, including high ceilings, were also given to the Grand Dining Room. I appreciated the many little areas around the ship where between two and a dozen or so people could get out of the mainstream of the ship. Not as much space was given to the Riviera lounge, the theater: the floor was not sloped very much so one can't seen the dancer's feet unless you're in the front row, and the ceiling and lights over the stage made some dancing that include lifts actually dangerous. The Martini bar was also fairly small: during the daily happy hour (2 for 1 drinks between 5 and 6 PM) if one doesn't show up early one can't find a seat. I enjoyed my morning coffee in the small Barista lounge with a nice view, but the "Americano" coffee made by the machine in Horizons was better.

Our cabin (Penthouse 3, 420 sq. ft., deck 10 midships) was also gorgeous. The walk-in closet was large enough to get dressed in, and the bathroom with tub and shower was very nice. "BUT ..." the soundproofing between the cabins was awful: we could hear conversations at normal volume in the adjacent cabins.

We did a cabin crawl of some cabins. An Oceania suite (1000 sq. ft, deck 12 forward) was lovely. A Penthouse 3 with a wrap-around balcony (420 sq. ft., deck 7 aft) had a spectacular balcony, "BUT ..." the cabin was a foot or so narrower and the closet was unacceptable. A Concierge A2 (282 sq. ft., deck 10 aft) was very nice, and I would have been happy there. The Vista (1200 sq. ft., deck 8 forward) was spectacular, but for some reason I liked the feel of the Oceania suite more: I'm not sure why. I wish we had seen a window cabin and an interior one, but didn't.

Agree that the sounds from adjoining staterooms was annoying. This is something that can be improved on future Oceania ships as well as on Regent's Explorer. The people next to us had their television on about 18 hours a day. We could hear the dialogue:o

Yes, I'd forgotten about the soundproofing. I don't remember this from our Regent cruises, although no cabin is perfect.

The shoe rack is completely useless (I suspect they install them upside-down.) And the makeup mirror is almost useless, and the built-in magnifying mirror *is* completely useless, unless you're about 4'10".

Oh, I SO appreciate your mention of the thin walls. Quiet is one of the most paramount concerns for us (along with king beds) ;-) When I read reviews of hotels, e.g., I am so grateful to people who speak to that detail; most do not.

Thanks for posting!

The beds, poss, were very cushy and soft. Pillow top I'm guessing. A reasonably firm underlying mattress I think. I felt like I was being enveloped completely. I'm wondering if we had asked whether we could have been supplied with a lighter duvet or blanket--it was a bit much at times. I loved the pillows, but then I'm a pillow freak.

Wendy, I think I could more readily sleep on a hard and otherwise uncomfortable king bed than I could on a delicious queen-bedded one. Not sure whether I ever got a definite measure on the width on O.

Wendy, I think I could more readily sleep on a hard and otherwise uncomfortable king bed than I could on a delicious queen-bedded one. Not sure whether I ever got a definite measure on the width on O.

I worked in the bed linens section of a major Department Store, while I was putting myself through school and the King beds on Oceania are a standard size. At any rate, they are (generally) two twin mattresses held together with a brace.

Edited by JimandStan

The mattress is a standard king size. We just had delivery of ours, the same one that was in our Oceania Suite on the Riviera. It has a blue cooling gel insert where the pillow top is. You can unzip the pillow top and remove the gel insert if you wish. The mattresses are Italian made, and the American distributer is Global Resources in Miami.

Greatly appreciate the feedback on bed size. I've not looked closely into Oceania yet (was waiting for Wendy's report:-). I believe I remember reading that to enjoy a cabin as large as the ones on Regent, one has to book penthouse? We for sure would not want a butler.

I suspect, though, that we might not make it over to O at all, since we actually prefer the included excursions. In earlier decades it was sure fun to do our own thing, but we need the convenience now of having everything spelled out and organized for us.

Many thanks again to David, Wendy, and other faithful reporters and responders.

Greatly appreciate the feedback on bed size. I've not looked closely into Oceania yet (was waiting for Wendy's report:-). I believe I remember reading that to enjoy a cabin as large as the ones on Regent, one has to book penthouse? We for sure would not want a butler.

I suspect, though, that we might not make it over to O at all, since we actually prefer the included excursions. In earlier decades it was sure fun to do our own thing, but we need the convenience now of having everything spelled out and organized for us.

Many thanks again to David, Wendy, and other faithful reporters and responders.

You're quite welcome, Poss. What Oceania travellers do about excursions is book their own, and form up groups. This works well, although I can completely understand why you want to be taken care of, this is tempting even for us. The Oceania excursions seem to us to be very expensive, and not very good at defining the activity level, which I'm sure would be a concern for you.

As for the cabin, we saw a regular balcony cabin, and it would have been fine for us, and the bed was the same I'm pretty sure. We did appreciate the extra space of the PH because it was a crossing, but wouldn't bother for anything else.

I'm wondering if we had asked whether we could have been supplied with a lighter duvet or blanket--it was a bit much at times. I loved the pillows, but then I'm a pillow freak.

I get way too warm using most duvets, including Oceania's, and always request a lighter-weight blanket instead. In hotels, I love when they deliver those soft, fuzzy ones but cannot remember what kind of blanket I got on Marina (my last Oceania cruise) to substitute for the duvet.

I get way too warm using most duvets, including Oceania's, and always request a lighter-weight blanket instead. In hotels, I love when they deliver those soft, fuzzy ones but cannot remember what kind of blanket I got on Marina (my last Oceania cruise) to substitute for the duvet.

In warmer climates we have just had the inside of the duvet removed and it has been just fine. Also, if one of you gets hot and the other doesn't, they will give you the twin size duvet for one person and twin size blanket or fillerless duvet for the other, even with the bed still together. It makes a bit more work for them but they are glad to accommodate.

We were in a PH1 midships, port side on deck 11. Only noise at all was the early morning table moving outside La Reserve and the attendant automatic doors opening.

We tried to be good citizens regarding noise and never heard boo from either side of us.

JMBobB

In warmer climates we have just had the inside of the duvet removed and it has been just fine. Also, if one of you gets hot and the other doesn't, they will give you the twin size duvet for one person and twin size blanket or fillerless duvet for the other, even with the bed still together. It makes a bit more work for them but they are glad to accommodate.

This proved a slight problem in our Oceania suite. When we boarded I asked the stewardess to put two separate duvets on the bed. (O. suite beds are kingsize and do not split into two apparently...) Which she did. But for the first night or two kept the sheet under it. We use duvets at home and only the duvets, with no sheets (or course the duvets are in their own cases...) Finally I got her to understand what we wanted! At the end of the cruise she told me that since the O suite comes with only the king bed, then there are no duvet covers that "match" the decor and she had to "borrow" some from the normal PH suites down the hall... But she was very gracious about it and we slept like babies on that bed!

This proved a slight problem in our Oceania suite. When we boarded I asked the stewardess to put two separate duvets on the bed. (O. suite beds are kingsize and do not split into two apparently...) Which she did. But for the first night or two kept the sheet under it. We use duvets at home and only the duvets, with no sheets (or course the duvets are in their own cases...) Finally I got her to understand what we wanted! At the end of the cruise she told me that since the O suite comes with only the king bed, then there are no duvet covers that "match" the decor and she had to "borrow" some from the normal PH suites down the hall... But she was very gracious about it and we slept like babies on that bed!

I remember missing my separate sheet when we were in a hotel in Switzerland! (Not the only place this occurs) We all become creatures of habit.

This proved a slight problem in our Oceania suite. When we boarded I asked the stewardess to put two separate duvets on the bed. (O. suite beds are kingsize and do not split into two apparently...) Which she did. But for the first night or two kept the sheet under it. We use duvets at home and only the duvets, with no sheets (or course the duvets are in their own cases...)

Confused :eek:

sorry I have not had coffee yet

Do you mean you sleep just on the mattress with no bottom sheet then the duvet with cover on top of you??

We use a fitted sheet over the mattress & our duvet with its cover

Any places we have stayed in Europe this seems to be the same set up

Just trying to see this in my mind ;)

Confused :eek:

sorry I have not had coffee yet

Do you mean you sleep just on the mattress with no bottom sheet then the duvet with cover on top of you??

We use a fitted sheet over the mattress & our duvet with its cover

Any places we have stayed in Europe this seems to be the same set up

Just trying to see this in my mind ;)

I'm confident they meant the top sheet. Not normal in Switzerland, for sure to have one--the duvet has its own cover. I loved sleeping that way in Austria years ago, I remember. We live in places where the indoor climate really precludes a duvet.

We live in places where the indoor climate really precludes a duvet.

Really :confused:

We have had a duvet on our bed in the winter months since 1973

I have 3 of them ...love them

But I just use the duvet bag/cover no extra top sheet

YMMV ;)

Lyn

Really :confused:

We have had a duvet on our bed in the winter months since 1973

I have 3 of them ...love them

But I just use the duvet bag/cover no extra top sheet

YMMV ;)

Lyn

Not sure what YMMV means. Husband likes to keep the house warm, wherever we are, Florida, Toronto or Ottawa. So I end up throwing the covers off most of the time, no matter what kind of covers they are. Of course right now we're in the high 20C with high humidity, so we just need a sheet.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Not sure what YMMV means. Husband likes to keep the house warm, wherever we are, Florida, Toronto or Ottawa. So I end up throwing the covers off most of the time, no matter what kind of covers they are. Of course right now we're in the high 20C with high humidity, so we just need a sheet.

YMMV =your milage may vary

Well that explains it

We have our house cooler at night 67F & the window is open most nights even in the winter

-4C here today

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

But for the first night or two kept the sheet under it. We use duvets at home and only the duvets, with no sheets (or course the duvets are in their own cases...) Finally I got her to understand what we wanted!

And when I stay at European hotels, I always request an extra sheet to put under my blanket or duvet because I always want a topsheet!:)

Viva all the differences!