Crown Princess - Toilet issue question

nattie

We are sailing on Crown 12/14/2013 and just gout our room assignments. Of course, they are AFT. I have been hearing a lot about flashing toilet issues and that the "no flash" zone apparently is in the AFT of the ship.

Anybody recently cruised to confirm? They still have 2 side by side cabins left on another deck in the same category, but waaay FORWARD. Is it worth to ask for a switch? probably wouldnt get it anyway, but...

I do love the location we currently have except for possible issue with toilets. Any input from recent cruisers will be appreciated!

The flushing issue is usually due to a fellow passenger causing damage to the system by attempting to put something down the tubes that is far too large. That can happen anywhere on a ship and is not an ongoing problem on any specific ship or section. The issue on the Crown has likely been repaired and taken care of by now.

eta-The issue with the Crown aft toilet clogging happened back in April on the TA, and AFAIK there have not been further reports of that being a problem.

Edited by cherylandtk

The worst toilet issue I've ever had on a ship (which was the Crown) was in a mid-ship mini-suite. I haven't heard that the aft section of the Crown has toilet issues or maybe I just haven't read those threads. I've sailed on the Crown several times towards the aft and love the location. My favorite location is the aft elevator area or further back and I wouldn't hesitate to book that area on the Crown again. Oh, wait, I did! Recently booked the Crown for 2015 in a cabin towards the aft.

If you do have a toilet issue, report it to your steward and the Passenger Services Desk. If you still have a problem, contact the Captain's Circle Host and they will be your advocate.

Please see a report of issues that we faced on a recent Crown Princess cruise. I did post a thread on this at the time about a month ago. We were in Stateroom D628.

My DW and myself have just disembarked the Crown Princess in Port Everglades after a very good 24 day back to back cruise from Southampton to Canaries and a transatlantic from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale.

This is really a heads up regarding the above mini suite. We had ongoing problems with the toilet not flushing on occasions for our whole cruise.

We reported this to our room Stewart and Customer Services who were sympathetic and tried their best to help us. It was explained after a while that the pressure was not high enough to make the vacuum that flushes the toilet. In practical terms, this meant that when the system was busy, then the toilet did not flush. Often, some ten minutes later, the toilet would flush of its own accord.

We did not let this spoil our cruise and tried our best to work around it. On the penultimate day of the 24 day cruise, someone from Customer Services rang us and made an offer of financial compensation. The offer was very good and we agreed to this and the money was immediately transferred to our on-board account.

This was a good outcome for us.

This confirmed what many regulars on this forum have often said that when someone has a genuine complaint, then Princess will step up and attempt to make it right. They certainly did for us.

We were told that the fault would need major work and this could not be done until the ship was in Los Angeles. I would stress that this was not due to blockages and a number of staterooms adjacent to us suffered flooding from the toilet although we did not.

Just returned from the Crown 11/23 voyage. Our stateroom was B620 and we did indeed have flushing issues. Only once did we have to call for help, and I did not put anything in the toilet that did not belong. Have cruised 15 times before and never had a problem. We also had periodic issues where when we pushed the button nothing would happen, but a few minutes later the toilet flushed.

One night during dinner the ladies room outside both the Michaelangelo and the DaVinci dining rooms were closed for repairs.

I think the ship is showing its age, we noticed other issues as well such as peeling paint on the balconies and a/c not working very well. Princess delivered a beautiful bouquet to my stateroom to apologize, which was nice. Would have preferred credit toward a future cruise though.

The issue with the Crown aft toilet clogging happened back in April on the TA, and AFAIK there have not been further reports of that being a problem.

We were in cabin C636 on that TA cruise and had no issues at all.

We have noted the "delayed flush" on other cruises and don't think it is specific to an individual ship but more of an issue with the type of vacuum flush system in use. If a lot of people use the system at the same time it may take a while to build up pressure for the system to work again. JMO.

We just got off the Crown on the 11/30 and we had some issues with the system flushing. We were in E719 and if you press the button to flush it seemed to have a delayed reaction were it would not flush for 10-30 seconds.

I was on the TA from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale last month and had an aft cabin on Dolphin deck - in fact we overlooked the wake

We had no toilet problems at all and did not notice any odors anywhere on the ship

We are just off the crown. Rooms d716,d720,d724 and c717. We all had flushing issues 3 times during and 18 hour period. There was no suction. And they did work on it in hallway at night. I know someone said that floors 5-8 were having toilet issues in the earlier part of cruise.

Thank you all for replying!

If it is just delayed flushing, I can leave with that. In fact I remember delayed flushing on previous cruises also. Worst case I would call and they will come and flush it manually from outside of cabin.

Overflowing is totally different issue. And it sounded like from recent reviews that it was a big issue in the aft cabins.

We are on Baja close to the elevators (B724 and B726), in case someone was in similar area.

I have been hearing a lot about flashing toilet issues and that the "no flash" zone apparently is in the AFT of the ship.

I often flash in the rest room. I moon from time-to-time, as well.

I'm not exactly sure how I would use a no-flash-zone rest room.

If it is just delayed flushing, I can leave with that. In fact I remember delayed flushing on previous cruises also. Worst case I would call and they will come and flush it manually from outside of cabin.

Overflowing is totally different issue. And it sounded like from recent reviews that it was a big issue in the aft cabins.

We are on Baja close to the elevators (B724 and B726), in case someone was in similar area.

We were baha not dolphin. So we had b724 as one room

We just got off the aforementioned TA from Southampton and we were the very last cabin on the Aloha deck on the Port side. Had no issues at all. But friends down the hall did. It was fixed quickly. It can happen on any ship oin any deck. Personally we like the far end of the ship. It's nice and quiet back there.

Cheers, Kenn

I just got off the Crown on 11/30 and had 2 rooms mid ship on Caribe. My mother had one evening in C512 in which her toilet would not flush. By the next morning it was working just fine. She reported it to the steward to make him aware but no further action needed to be taken.

We were on the recent Crown Princess transatlantic. We were mid-ship on the Dolphin deck and we had intermittent flushing problems throughout the cruise. Sometimes it was just a short delay. Sometimes it just never flushed. It never lasted for more than a few hours. Based on recent reviews, the problem has not been solved.

We are cruising for the second time on Crown in Jan. I find this whole discussion pretty disgusting. Hearing that this is a continuous unsolved problem onboard, makes me wonder why we/anyone wants to cruise her. Doesn't matter if it "hits" our cabin or not. The fact that the ship is sailing with a problem that can be pretty "ugly" is a PR nightmare. I just don't get it.:rolleyes:

We were on the 11/16 cruise and yes there were toilet issues. We should have figured as much when the announcement was made during muster drill about not putting anything that should't be there in the toilets. We had an mid aft cabin, A601 and several times the toilet did not flush but then would flush an hour later. Ladies restrooms on Lido and decks 5 and 6 often had issues with 2 out of 3 toilets not working several days, with toilets stopped up. We heard that several floors had overflowing toilets and carpets needed to be replaced.

There was also a very strange smell in cabins on several floors aft and mid aft. That was from day 1 to about day day 4 and then it seemed to improve. However, the A/C on our cabin didn 't always cool sufficiently. Pretty much disappointed with the Crown but the food was good and crew were great too.

They did seem to be working on the problems. Hope they get these issues fixed for future cruisers.

We were on the 11/16 cruise and yes there were toilet issues. We should have figured as much when the announcement was made during muster drill about not putting anything that should't be there in the toilets. We had an mid aft cabin, A601 and several times the toilet did not flush but then would flush an hour later. Ladies restrooms on Lido and decks 5 and 6 often had issues with 2 out of 3 toilets not working several days, with toilets stopped up. We heard that several floors had overflowing toilets and carpets needed to be replaced.

There was also a very strange smell in cabins on several floors aft and mid aft. That was from day 1 to about day day 4 and then it seemed to improve. However, the A/C on our cabin didn 't always cool sufficiently. Pretty much disappointed with the Crown but the food was good and crew were great too.

They did seem to be working on the problems. Hope they get these issues fixed for future cruisers.

Hey MaryLou-

So sorry to hear that you had issues on the Crown. Sound pretty different than our Star SA cruise last year, which I thought was charmed!

I hope you are well and enjoying Davidson! We are still hanging in there.

Take care-

Tracie-Lynn:)

I would like to book a California Coastal cruise, on the Crown, next September or October. I like aft cabins, E731 or D736. Is this a bad idea? Should I book a different ship, such as the Star from SF?

I realize problems can occur on any ship, but the Crown is sounding like trouble.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

...We should have figured as much when the announcement was made during muster drill about not putting anything that should't be there in the toilets. ...
This is a standard part of every Princess muster drill on every ship. It is made to prevent passenger initiated issues from happening, and is not an indication there is an ongoing issue with that ship.

Thank you for listening, as apparently others may not.

I would like to book a California Coastal cruise' date=' on the Crown, next September or October. I like aft cabins, E731 or D736. Is this a bad idea? Should I book a different ship, such as the Star from SF?

I realize problems can occur on any ship, but the Crown is sounding like trouble.

Thoughts?

Thanks.[/quote']

Just returned from the Crown in D736. No issues with the cabin. I did not hear of any plumbing issues on the ship. Never had any problems. We were very pleased with the cruise, the ship, and the crew.

Just returned from the Crown in D736. No issues with the cabin. I did not hear of any plumbing issues on the ship. Never had any problems. We were very pleased with the cruise, the ship, and the crew.

Wow! Thanks for this great news. Just what I needed to hear:)

Thanks again:)

We just got off the Crown on the 11/30 and we had some issues with the system flushing. We were in E719 and if you press the button to flush it seemed to have a delayed reaction were it would not flush for 10-30 seconds.

I've had that happen once in awhile on almost every cruise I've been on. I always considered it just one of those oddities about sailing.

OP-Our aft cabin on the Caribe Deck had no problems with the toilet flushing.