What I find annoying about Regent pricing model

It used to be that the best deals and most perks were available on the cruises the farthest out in time. This was true on Radisson with some exceptions. Now it's not true at all it seems. The latest email proclaiming great discounts and perks are all for cruises next summer and fall--cheap business upgrades, free internet, lower fares, shipboard credits. But when I look at the spring 2015 trips, the website warns of "Limited Availability", and details show none of the extra discounts listed (except for internet sometimes--which I find a kick in the pants to anyone Silver or above.)

I believe that this business model is true over at Oceania as well--looking at 2015, I was told that there might be perks added down the road, but not now. I know, maybe the fares go up over time. And of course, I assume these deals are on cruises that aren't selling as well as some others. But still, it irks me that I don't get the best deal booking the farthest out, right off the bat.

This was all spurred by the latest $395 Business Upgrade mail I got from RSSC. Not interested--we usually have our travel calendar planned at least a year in advance, and rarely jump at the last minute like this (next summer being "last minute" for us.)

I got that email too. And it annoyed me too. That is a great deal for business class, and one we would probably have taken even though we normally do our own air. But our travel schedule, like yours, is pretty much set in stone a year in advance. Very frustrating.

Although we get tons of snail mail, email, etc from Regent, never got a thing about a 395 business upgrade. Could've been interested, but alas, didn't get the message. Maybe I could trade in 50 lbs of catalogs for one useful email? nah.......

Although we get tons of snail mail, email, etc from Regent, never got a thing about a 395 business upgrade. Could've been interested, but alas, didn't get the message. Maybe I could trade in 50 lbs of catalogs for one useful email? nah.......

Here's the gist:

Announcing new special offers at Regent Seven Seas Cruises including FREE Business Class Air in Penthouse Suites and higher or Business Class Air Upgrades from $399* in all other suite categories, increased Early Booking Savings, Shipboard Credits and FREE Unlimited WiFi on select voyages!

View sailings below or visit RSSC.com for full offer details.

Itineraries Sail Date Nights

ROME TO ISTANBUL NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $3,000*

FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites & higher or $399 Business Class Air Upgrade in all other suite categories

May 2 10

View Itinerary

ATHENS TO BARCELONA NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $3,000*

FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites & higher or $399 Business Class Air Upgrade in all other suite categories

May 19 10

View Itinerary

VENICE TO ROME NEW SPECIAL OFFER !

Early Booking Savings $1,000*

FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites & higher or $999 Business Class Air Upgrade in all other suite categories

$200 Per Suite Shipboard Credit

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Jun 8 7

View Itinerary

ROME TO MONTE CARLO NEW SPECIAL OFFER!

FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites & higher or $999 Business Class Air Upgrade in all other suite categories

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Jun 15 7

View Itinerary

MONTE CARLO TO BARCELONA NEW SPECIAL OFFER!

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Jun 22 7

View Itinerary

BARCELONA TO ROME NEW SPECIAL OFFER!

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Jun 29 10

View Itinerary

ISTANBUL TO ATHENS NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $2,000*

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Aug 20 7

View Itinerary

ATHENS TO BARCELONA NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $2,500*

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Aug 27 10

View Itinerary

BARCELONA TO MONTE CARLO NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $2,000*

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Sep 6 7

View Itinerary

MONTE CARLO TO VENICE NEW SPECIAL OFFER!

Early Booking Savings $1,500*

FREE Unlimited WiFi

Sep 13 10

View Itinerary

Seven Seas Voyager® Voyages

Itinerary Sail Date Nights

DUBAI TO ROME NEW LOWER FARES!

Early Booking Savings $5,000*

Apr 28 20

View Itinerary

I got that email too. And it annoyed me too. That is a great deal for business class, and one we would probably have taken even though we normally do our own air. But our travel schedule, like yours, is pretty much set in stone a year in advance. Very frustrating.

Ditto... Seriously irritated

I can forward it to you :(

This also irritates me. Though to be fair I jumped on a trip which I had twice before cancelled due to turmoil - Safaga to Rome for a ridiculous price.

I think post 2016 ( my drop dead date for finishing most of the world ie my A list) I will hold off on booking and see what gives. As things are I am holding an option which I really cannot use.

It used to be that the best deals and most perks were available on the cruises the farthest out in time. This was true on Radisson with some exceptions. Now it's not true at all it seems. The latest email proclaiming great discounts and perks are all for cruises next summer and fall--cheap business upgrades, free internet, lower fares, shipboard credits. But when I look at the spring 2015 trips, the website warns of "Limited Availability", and details show none of the extra discounts listed (except for internet sometimes--which I find a kick in the pants to anyone Silver or above.)

I believe that this business model is true over at Oceania as well--looking at 2015, I was told that there might be perks added down the road, but not now. I know, maybe the fares go up over time. And of course, I assume these deals are on cruises that aren't selling as well as some others. But still, it irks me that I don't get the best deal booking the farthest out, right off the bat.

This was all spurred by the latest $395 Business Upgrade mail I got from RSSC. Not interested--we usually have our travel calendar planned at least a year in advance, and rarely jump at the last minute like this (next summer being "last minute" for us.)

You are so correct.

Regent is a master of obfuscation.

That's why I chuckled when they set up the special thread with Sadler. I can't believe they expected it to work, but again, another step forward in the marketing world.

As an afterthought, their method of invoicing is also a test in patience.

I am researching a trip for next Oct and each time I either access their site or even call them, I seem to get different answers depending on the phases of the moon.

Bottom line, I'm sure that I will work through all their convolutions as I have in the past and continue to sail with Regent...they seem to have an invisible hold on us. :D

Wendy, I'm glad someone else feels the frustration I do. The further out- the better the deal ought to be, but it seems not just with Regent that is no longer the case.

As an example, I am Platinum for life on AA, but when I call the day a flight opens do you think I can get an upgrade? In my dreams! When the cost is an issue shouldn't those who plan ahead get preference; it certainly doesn't seem so.

Responder, Wow-you hit a home run. I was naïve enough to think Sadler would be forthcoming. How wrong was I?

Regent just does not want to answer questions publicly--nor acknowledge that honesty and transparency will in the long run be huge selling points.

I am not fond of the pricing either but would like to know of any luxury cruise line that does straightforward advertising (only thinking of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn).

IMO, marketing and advertising has gone a bit crazy in many areas. Today I am finding prices in stores lower than on Black Friday (in some cases).

The way Regent is advertising now, everyone is waiting for the "specials" email to arrive. It is frustrating but do not see a solution to the problem. It seems that the only "special" I actually received on Black Friday is my new kitten. That reminds me.... didn't Regent run a special last year on Black Friday? If they did this year, I missed it,.

I am not fond of the pricing either but would like to know of any luxury cruise line that does straightforward advertising (only thinking of Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn).

IMO, marketing and advertising has gone a bit crazy in many areas. Today I am finding prices in stores lower than on Black Friday (in some cases).

The way Regent is advertising now, everyone is waiting for the "specials" email to arrive. It is frustrating but do not see a solution to the problem. It seems that the only "special" I actually received on Black Friday is my new kitten. That reminds me.... didn't Regent run a special last year on Black Friday? If they did this year, I missed it,.

I booked a Crystal 2015 cruise about 6 months ago when it first came out at $1000 off their price and now they have offered a $800 per person off ( structured as an air credit but off the cruise price). This is quite acceptable to me so early on into the reservation. Further although I booked the Crystal trip well before my first Crystal cruise in November they were willing to redo the booking and give me the on board booking discount as well as the repeaters discount for my 2015 cruise when I was on board the Serenity last month. They even gave my DD who was not with us on Crystal the On Board discount on her cabin as she was a family member and we booked and paid for her. If not for the formal ambiance on Crystal I can see it quickly becoming a favourite line of ours! I have to admit that travelling Regent still feels like coming home!

As I said when it comes to Regent I am going to be the late bird in the future. Post retirement there will be less of a stress scheduling trips.

Edited by Emdee

I booked a Crystal 2015 cruise about 6 months ago when it first came out at $1000 off their price and now they have offered a $800 per person off ( structured as an air credit but off the cruise price). This is quite acceptable to me so early on into the reservation. Further although I booked the Crystal trip well before my first Crystal cruise in November they were willing to redo the booking and give me the on board booking discount as well as the repeaters discount for my 2015 cruise when I was on board the Serenity last month. They even gave my DD who was not with us on Crystal the On Board discount on her cabin as she was a family member and we booked and paid for her. If not for the formal ambiance on Crystal I can see it quickly becoming a favourite line of ours! I have to admit that travelling Regent still feels like coming home!

As I said when it comes to Regent I am going to be the late bird in the future. Post retirement there will be less of a stress scheduling trips.

Thanks for the response. Not really sure why (just woman's intuition), Crystal does not interest me. We are pretty much sticking to Regent, Silversea and Oceania with a strong emphasis on Regent. My reasoning is the same as yours "Regent still feels like coming home".

Wendy-- thanks very much for this posting. Unlike Rachel and others, I did not get a Black Friday e-mail. Nor did my TA contact me. So I'm grateful to hear about the changes, which in fact I suspect do affect us. Do people only at a certain level receive these notices, I wonder?

Once again, I really appreciate folks who are on top of such things and are generous enough to spread the word.

Congrats on the new kittie, Travelcat!

Yes, Regent did a black Friday special. I got an email. But it was something that did not interest me so just deleted.

Thanks:-) Maybe I missed the email. I was quite busy online on Friday. Good to hear that it wasn't overly appealing.

Thank you, Wendy for the email info. Unfortunately it won't help us as we're on the Baltic route aboard the Voyager at the end of June. It would be great if we ALL could get the same info. I guess that's more than Regent can muster, but they most definitely win, hands down, the snail mail deluge!!!!

I still can't get over the lack of honesty by Regent, particularly to their loyal clients. Maybe we at 50+ days just aren't worthy of attention, but we didn't get any e-mail. Why?

Secondly, My question to Mr. Sadler was dismissed.

The Regent experience is good until one wants a little extra attention; then despite the extra price the commitment disappears.

The email situation seems hit and miss, as my husband and I have over 100 days on Regent and I know Wendy and her husband have a lot too. I have given up trying to figure out how one gets on or off an email or snail mail list with them.

Personally, I'd be happy if the amount spent on sending me slick brochures from O and Regent would be given to me to use as OBC. :) My TA, Email and visiting the website periodically satisfies my needs!

Now that is a brilliant idea! And one that would keep me loyal to regent.

I totally agree. It irritates to no end that now if we book cruises early we later see all sorts of discount because Regent wants to fill the ship. I book early because I want to be able to get the cabin we want, plus, they always say you would get best prices. After all, we keep on getting emails from Regent that prices are going up. However, as a cruise gets closer Regent comes out with different discounts. A friend is booked on a cruise and she noticed on a brochure that the upgrade to business had been reduced. Fortunately for her, she called Regent and Regent agreed to honor that price for her cruise. If she had not seen the brochure, she would had paid the original price for upgrade to business air. Regent should remember its faithful customers and let us know about better deals for cruises we booked a year in advance. I'm interested in a cruise May 2015. My TA keeps on telling me demand is high and to book now. However, I'm afraid to book now and then find out the rates are lower or perks are added. I don't care about free Internet because we get free Internet. I do care about upgrade to business, OBC, and/or lower prices. Have you noticed on the website that for some cruises the cost of business upgrade is not even published? If someone from Regent is reading this thread, don't forget we (faithful Regent customers) are the ones who keep you in business.

To the credit of my TA, they did increase the OBC on the cruise we are already booked for, and she emailed me today saying that it had been applied. This done without my asking, though I expect that had I not had a TA who keeps track of these sort of things and is proactive, it would not have been done.