RCI for Celebrity and HAL fan

mamamzee

What do you think? We've done a transatlantic on Celebrity which we loved, an Eastern Caribbean on Holland America which was good and a Disney short c ruise some years ago.

We like quieter activities, eating, relaxing (needless to say, we are senior citizens). We've been told that Royal would not be for us but we'd like to try

What do you think? We've done a transatlantic on Celebrity which we loved, an Eastern Caribbean on Holland America which was good and a Disney short c ruise some years ago.

We like quieter activities, eating, relaxing (needless to say, we are senior citizens). We've been told that Royal would not be for us but we'd like to try

Well. . . Celebrity and Disney are certainly two ends of the spectrum age wise.:p

We have taken 3 Celebrity cruises and really enjoyed them. I think they are just a cut above. I like iced towels when I return from an excursion, fruit passed around the Solarium in the afternoon and the T-pool. Now having said all of that we decided to sail RCL until we reached diamond before we went back to Celebrity. The ships were closer to home and had more itineraries. [we just made diamond on our TA--yeah!]

But, I think that says that I feel it is a good cruise line. Nice ships, good ports, good prices and very professional staff.

Give it a try, you will like it. Try a Radiance class ship. They are beautiful with lots of glass and have a nice Solarium and a British themed lounge on the aft of the ship. We really liked the Radiance.

Since you like quiet and relaxing, I suggest you stay away from any RCI ship larger than the Radiance class. Many families, children and lots of activities on those larger ships. This class of ships is the Radiance, Jewel, Serenade and Brilliance. All except Jewel have been recently refurbished. These ships are very elegant looking and do not attract families with children so much.

We've cruised with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Holland America, and enjoyed them all. We tend to choose the cruise for the itinerary.

While there are minor differences between the cruise lines, they all offer an enjoyable experience, with as many or as few organised activities as you want.

We are senior citizens, like the OP, and we enjoy nothing better than finding a quiet place to sit and read, and watch the scenery. I could just watch the ocean for hours. We've found suitable places to do this on all 3 cruise lines.

I second the advice for the OP to try one of the ships of the Radiance class.

Since you like quiet and relaxing, I suggest you stay away from any RCI ship larger than the Radiance class. Many families, children and lots of activities on those larger ships. This class of ships is the Radiance, Jewel, Serenade and Brilliance. All except Jewel have been recently refurbished. These ships are very elegant looking and do not attract families with children so much.

We enjoyed Jewel this past summer, and the solarium was a great place to find a spot to just relax...what was nice is that is had a snack bar, in the solarium, for drinks, fruit, light sandwiches for a mid afternoon snack.

Even if there aren't many children on board, I feel like RCI has a lot more parties. Like 70s parties, pool parties, Quest, basically loud and rambunctious activities every night. I think that's what some people mean by nightlife, and so they would complain about the lack of nightlife on Celebrity and other lines. If these things don't appeal to you, then you would probably not enjoy Royal Caribbean as much. In any case, a cruise is a cruise and you can still do what you like. You can always try it and see.

It all depends on the experience you desire. RCL targets a younger demographic including families, Celebrity and HAL target an older demographic (much older for HAL). The onboard experience on RCL is much louder, rowdier, boisterous with lots of announcements and family oriented activities. Having said this, longer and more exotic itineraries do level the demographic field somewhat.

Even if there aren't many children on board, I feel like RCI has a lot more parties. Like 70s parties, pool parties, Quest, basically loud and rambunctious activities every night. I think that's what some people mean by nightlife, and so they would complain about the lack of nightlife on Celebrity and other lines. If these things don't appeal to you, then you would probably not enjoy Royal Caribbean as much. In any case, a cruise is a cruise and you can still do what you like. You can always try it and see.

You can participate in what you want to do and not participate in what you don't want to do....we find it is a fun way to vacation....we can watch others get involved in silly things and enjoy it, as much as doing it ourselves if we so feel.

There are definitely more activities offered on RCCL ships than there are on Celebrity and HAL ships. Just because they are offered doesn't mean you have to participate. You might actually enjoy giving RCCL a try. :)

LuLu

~~~~

I agree, RCCL gives you more options, I have cruise many times on Hal, princess also done Celeberity, can not wait till next RCCL in April.

Guest maddycat

I'm a senior. I sail on longer cruises when schools are in session so there are fewer children on board. I enjoy quiet and find it on RCI ships. To me the nightlife is going to the show in the theater, listening to the piano player in the Schooner Bar &/or listening to the guitar player in the Crown & Kettle Pub. I don't go to the parties or Quest.

Oh, and my favorite cruise line is RCI. Celebrity is a close second. I find that Celebrity can be a little too quiet at times.

We too enjoy the quiet, and even on the Explorer we have found many quiet areas. I am a professor, so I can only go when kids are also out of school, and despite this, the kids tend to gravitate in certain areas that are easily avoided. my husband likes the parades and so forth, I do not. these evening events, that are (in my opinion) obnoxious, are very easily avoided. if there is an event in your chosen quiet space, that means someplace else is opened up that is quiet for reading, chatting, ocean staring, etc.

we are not older, but on RCI I always hear both ways: they are too energetic and geared for the younger crowd, then we also hear the complaints about not enough activities and too many older people.

I interpret this to mean they have a nice balance, which is why we choose to sail with them.