Caribbean Princess Nov 30, 2013: My Thoughts.

Cruzin-K

we booked a car service to get to an early flight at Bush. It was a disaster and after 1 1/2 hours of waiting and worrying about missing our flight, took a cab for $140 with tip. If I was to do it again, I would take the Princess transfers. The buses left very frequently and 2 had gone before we got our cab. Princess told me that I couldn't make a noon flight with their transfers so that's why we didn't but we could've very easily made it on the bus.

The IC has egg sandwiches for breakfast, soup at lunch and quiches and paninis that they will heat for you the rest of the day no other hot food to speak of

The pictures of the pools don't show a large crowd. Was this typical or was it a port day or what? Looking forward to CB on 1 March.

They were taken on the first sea day in the morning, sometime around 10:30 (my camera time was off a bit - didn't notice until later in the cruise :o )

I think the pools were more crowded on the second sea day, and the non-MUTS pool was more crowded than the MUTS pool.

It appears you had a different Cruise Director than those who have mentioned in the past. Is this a permanent change or is the other one on a break? From what I've read he's a real wet blanket.

This was Brett Siborne's second cruise with the CB. I thought he was OK. He was very visible around the ship, introducing the theater shows, and running most of the trivia games.

Can you recall any of the movies they showed at MUTS?

The Wolverine

Star Trek into darkness

World War Z

Man of Steel

The Lone Ranger

Now you see me

The Way, Way back

Football on several nights/days, that may have replaced some of last 3 listed. I did see the others running at one time or another.

After I got back from the morning's excursion, I cleaned up and then took a taxi to the Hard Rock Cafe to buy a pin. I was NOT happy that they didn't have any. Grrrr. I bought an overpriced magnet instead and then walked the four miles or so back to the ship. It was an easy walk for me and I enjoyed the exercise.

Well, I learned something today. The HRC in Cozumel has not been an official HRC since September 30,2013, and is using the Hard Rock name without permission. I got this directly from the Hard Rock Cafe corporate customer relations department.

:mad:

NICE! I didn't realize they allowed you to take photos on the UST, although I havent looked into it. Is the $150 per person or cabin? Were you able to get all the way up to where they pilot the ship?:D

The instructions we got said to leave cameras in our cabins, but having read on several threads on CC that sometimes photos are allowed, I took my camera along just in case. I kept it in my pocket the whole time until we got to the bridge when they said we could take photos if we want. The lighting was difficult to work with though - it was so bright through the windows, that I didn't really get any great shots up there.

The $150 is per person.

We were shown the entire bridge area. The First Officer, who was one of the two officers on the bridge at the time we were there, was also the person who gave us the tour of the mooring lines area. The bridge always has two officers on duty, as well as two other crew members whose job it is to be lookouts, among other duties I suppose.

We passed several cabins on the way, between the end of the Riviera deck passenger hallway, and the bridge itself, which I assume were for the Captain and other senior officers :confused:

The instructions we got said to leave cameras in our cabins, but having read on several threads on CC that sometimes photos are allowed, I took my camera along just in case. I kept it in my pocket the whole time until we got to the bridge when they said we could take photos if we want. The lighting was difficult to work with though - it was so bright through the windows, that I didn't really get any great shots up there.

The $150 is per person.

We were shown the entire bridge area. The First Officer, who was one of the two officers on the bridge at the time we were there, was also the person who gave us the tour of the mooring lines area. The bridge always has two officers on duty, as well as two other crew members whose job it is to be lookouts, among other duties I suppose.

We passed several cabins on the way, between the end of the Riviera deck passenger hallway, and the bridge itself, which I assume were for the Captain and other senior officers :confused:

Wow that is just too cool...may have to splurge one cruise and do that. How do you sign up for it? On our last cruise we watched sail in to all the ports and it was very interesting watching the ship staff communicate (non verbally usually) with the port staff to get lines and ship all safely tied up. We really enjoyed watching what they do. We were just amazed at how well and easy the work was done...great teamwork and yet somehow my job seems to not have that flow. The staff on board really inspire great teamwork especially with so many different languages that are spoken.

This was Brett Siborne's second cruise with the CB. I thought he was OK. He was very visible around the ship, introducing the theater shows, and running most of the trivia games.
From what I read about the prior CD he sounds like an improvement, not that a CD makes or breaks my cruise but I prefer personable, which it sounds like Brett is.

NICE! I didn't realize they allowed you to take photos on the UST, although I havent looked into it. Is the $150 per person or cabin? Were you able to get all the way up to where they pilot the ship?:D

When we did the NCL Star last year they gave the cruise critic members a free tour of the bridge.

They let us take all the photos we wanted.

Even let us pose by the wheel...

Wow that is just too cool...may have to splurge one cruise and do that. How do you sign up for it? On our last cruise we watched sail in to all the ports and it was very interesting watching the ship staff communicate (non verbally usually) with the port staff to get lines and ship all safely tied up. We really enjoyed watching what they do. We were just amazed at how well and easy the work was done...great teamwork and yet somehow my job seems to not have that flow. The staff on board really inspire great teamwork especially with so many different languages that are spoken.

If you want to sign up, go to the Guest Services desk as soon as you board. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Do not go to your cabin to drop off your carry-on. Do not go to the bar for a drink. Go to Guest Services and tell them you want to sign up for the Ultimate Ship's Tour. I was third on the list at 12:30 on boarding day. They only allow 12 people on the tour. We met at 8:30 on the second sea day, and the tour finished at 11:30.

I think my favorite part of the tour was seeing the area with all the mooring lines, and the anchors. I'm like you, I enjoy watching the lines drop as we get ready to sail away, and get us all tied up when we arrive. Depending on what ship I'm on, and if I have a clear view, I like to try to see the pilot jump from the pilot boat to the ship - not an easy task.

Karen thanks for the scoop. Will talk it over with DH. What time roughly does the local pilot jump on ship? I don't think I have ever seen that. When we left St John, NB in Canada we watched as the tugs pushed us away from the dock. That was the one port where when we first arrived they had this huge walkway/ramp leading to the promenade deck for the gangway and another lower down of 4 or 5....but before we left the tide had dropped so low that the promenade deck was using the little ganway on wheels and you could not see decks 4 or 5 anylonger as they were below the dock, promenade was almost level with the dock. It was amazing. I remembered to get the pic about 10-20 min before we set sail and I ran out to get the shot...the security guards were all laughing....said it was the quickest pic they had ever seen. But we still left about 30+ min late so I did have more time...we were waiting for clearance and an extra tug. All adds to the expierence and memories. ;)

Karen thanks for the scoop. Will talk it over with DH. What time roughly does the local pilot jump on ship? I don't think I have ever seen that.

It all depends on the port. Sometimes the pilot boat will be alongside the ship just about a half hour before docking. Other times if the port is really tricky and there is a long channel to get through, like in Houston and in Belize, the pilot may meet the ship two to three hours before docking. I think we picked up the pilot for Houston at 10-something p.m. and we docked around 1:00 a.m.

I asked the officer who gave us the bridge tour how slow the ship has to be moving in order for the pilot to jump on board. I was told 6-8 knots, or very roughly 7-9 mph.

edit: found a video that's a good example of how tricky this can be.

and another

Edited by Cruzin-K

Karen-thanks for the great photos! Sailing on the CB in January and liking the people on the beach without overcoats (I'm in chilly Chicago where the thermometer currently says "you don't wanna know, pal".)

Maya Key looks like just the ticket!

As Keith would say "Thanks for your report!"

Norris

The bridge always has two officers on duty, as well as two other crew members whose job it is to be lookouts, among other duties I suppose.

The lookouts' job is 100% to be lookouts when on the bridge.

Edited by caribill