Tampa 1st Dec 13 - Ode To Norwegian Dawn

TonyE

Everyone that knows me on these boards knows I am the last one to ever flame anyone for posting a negative experience about a cruise. But port issues cannot be blamed on a cruise line. If it was up to a cruise line, we would all board immediately but customs and security add extra burdens.

The Tampa port always delays for fog or other crazy reasons. You cant blame NCL for 4 hours to board at the port. They can only allow boarding when it is safe and cleared by Customs. If some snafu happens with weather or a security issue comes up, you cant blame the cruise line.

I'm not sure it is useful advice, but the terminal is not controlled by the ship and/or cruise line. The port authority and CBP are in control there. While I can understand not liking to have to wait, it doesn't make much sense to blame NCL for this...just as it didn't make sense to blame Celebrity when you had to wait in the terminal on your previous cruise.

Well the biggest part of the problem is that NCL is embarking 70 or so passengers at Cozumel in an agreement/deal with a UK travel agency. It changes the cruise requirements and forces everyone, all 2200 who embarked at Tampa to go through immigration just like landing from a foreign trip. It slows down the disembarkation (and thus the embarkation) a great deal.

Now you can blame customs for only having 4 agents on duty and not scanning the passports but typing in all the info, but NCL HQ in Miami agreed to this arrangment or Sanfu, so yes, some of it can be traced to NCL. Perhaps not the ship and crew but definately NCL.

For the sake of 70, 2200 are delayed and treated like an open loop cruise, even if it wasn't for them.

Edited by legion3

Well the biggest part of the problem is that NCL is embarking 70 or so passengers at Cozumel in an agreement/deal with a UK travel agency. It changes the cruise requirements and forces everyone, all 2200 who embarked at Tampa to go through immigration just like landing from a foreign trip. It slows down the disembarkation (and thus the embarkation) a great deal.

Now you can blame customs for only having 4 agents on duty and not scanning the passports but typing in all the info, but NCL HQ in Miami agreed to this arrangment or Sanfu, so yes, some of it can be traced to NCL. Perhaps not the ship and crew but definately NCL.

For the sake of 70, 2200 are delayed and treated like an open loop cruise, even if it wasn't for them.

I disagree. CBP has total control and it can't be pawned off just to support a bit of misdirected disappointment. If it follows that its NCL's fault for picking up the Brits, then we could simply go one more and blame the Brits themselves (if they didn't board, none of this would happen, right?) OR we could blame the travel agency for making the deal on, and on, and on.

Bottom line...the delay ONLY exists because of the rules and regs from CBP.

You know, if the US Citizens didn't show up to board at Tampa then there would be no lines...so maybe its THEIR fault! :rolleyes:

I disagree. CBP has total control and it can't be pawned off just to support a bit of misdirected disappointment. If it follows that its NCL's fault for picking up the Brits, then we could simply go one more and blame the Brits themselves (if they didn't board, none of this would happen, right?) OR we could blame the travel agency for making the deal on, and on, and on.

Bottom line...the delay ONLY exists because of the rules and regs from CBP.

You know, if the US Citizens didn't show up to board at Tampa then there would be no lines...so maybe its THEIR fault! :rolleyes:

Two other ships arrived and departed in Tampa that same day, the Legend and the Ryndam, and did not have the issues the NCL Dawn did. They left on time and had the same CBP rules and regs. (or did they as normal closed loop cruises)

So unless CBP just wanted to stick it to NCL, why was the Dawn the only inflicted vessel? Because the Dawn did something that the other two ships did not do, namely pick up previously uncleared passengers in a foreign port. Unless you can show me that they did, it is is you that is incorrect.

Most closed loop cruises do not require US citizens to go through immigration checks just standard customs, even in Tampa.

You are completely wrong that NCL has no level of blame in all of this,

and they (the ships hotel manager and other department heads) even said so to us in the meet and greet on the ship, that this was something NCL Miami set up and it blindsided the ships crew as well. not sure about that but...

I agree with only one thing you stated = :rolleyes:

Going to try this again.

Op. sorry you had a bad cruise.

I had a cruise booked this year, but had to cancel because of troubles at home. Had I gone on your cruise, given these complications, I would still have had a blast. Sorry but there had got to be something good about your cruise, that you neglected to tell us about.

and btw, Odes, are great, love them, but yours was too long for me....Lost me half way through.

Limerick would have been better!

Edited by SMSACE6

Two other ships arrived and departed in Tampa that same day, the Legend and the Ryndam, and did not have the issues the NCL Dawn did. They left on time and had the same CBP rules and regs. (or did they as normal closed loop cruises)

So unless CBP just wanted to stick it to NCL, why was the Dawn the only inflicted vessel? Because the Dawn did something that the other two ships did not do, namely pick up previously uncleared passengers in a foreign port. Unless you can show me that they did, it is is you that is incorrect.

Most closed loop cruises do not require US citizens to go through immigration checks just standard customs, even in Tampa.

You are completely wrong that NCL has no level of blame in all of this,

and they (the ships hotel manager and other department heads) even said so to us in the meet and greet on the ship, that this was something NCL Miami set up and it blindsided the ships crew as well. not sure about that but...

I agree with only one thing you stated = :rolleyes:

You are so intent on playing Internet gotcha that you aren't even reading what has been posted. Try again. Your point doesn't hold water...as you point out in your statement, you are comparing DIFFERENT SHIPS doing DIFFERENT itineraries. OBVIOUSLY, they are not going to be the same! Apples & Oranges.

Regardless, NCL has NO CONTROL over the Port of Tampa. Therefore, those who actually do are responsible for any delays there. Not the cruise line...the port. The port handles this how THEY want to, not how NCL wants them to.

You are so intent on playing Internet gotcha that you aren't even reading what has been posted. Try again. Your point doesn't hold water...as you point out in your statement, you are comparing DIFFERENT SHIPS doing DIFFERENT itineraries. OBVIOUSLY, they are not going to be the same! Apples & Oranges.

Regardless, NCL has NO CONTROL over the Port of Tampa. Therefore, those who actually do are responsible for any delays there. Not the cruise line...the port. The port handles this how THEY want to, not how NCL wants them to.

The port handles arrivals based on the law and the regulations, NCL's business decision to embark new passengers requires CBP to alter the normal entry process. This delays re entry. This delays boarding, This delays departure. NCL should have known this was an inevitable consequence and if they didn't then their culpability is even greater.

The last three Tampa voyages have all been delayed, at the M&G they stated they expected all of the Tampa season to be impacted by these passengers embarking in Cozumel, except the Christmas and New Years cruises.

Has NCL made you head of the cheerleading squad yet? They should your pom poms are the best. ;)

The port handles arrivals based on the law and the regulations, NCL's business decision to embark new passengers requires CBP to alter the normal entry process. This delays re entry. This delays boarding, This delays departure. NCL should have known this was an inevitable consequence and if they didn't then their culpability is even greater.

The last three Tampa voyages have all been delayed, at the M&G they stated they expected all of the Tampa season to be impacted by these passengers embarking in Cozumel, except the Christmas and New Years cruises.

Has NCL made you head of the cheerleading squad yet? They should your pom poms are the best. ;)

I agree with you. Why this problem exists, specifically with Dawn, has yet to get a clear answer, but it obviously has something to do with their decision to embark foreign passengers in a foreign port. It can't be a CBP problem alone if HAL, CCL and RCI aren't having the same problem.

But all that aside, I'll tell you what certainly is NCLs fault. If those passengers are waiting 3+ hours outside, they could go out there and set up some sort of beverage stand. Water, coffee and cookies can go a long way toward calming people down. Customer service begins at the port and Dawn is currently failing at this. This isn't just a one time problem. There have been plenty of complaints confirming this issue.

Most cruise ships always pick up passengers who pay for a fare to another country. I was never aware of this either until 2004 but also was surprised. Whether they pick up one or one hundred, you are still blaming the cruise line for custom delays. Every passenger on that ship has a passport just like you. Any delays in clearing passengers through customs is not the of the cruise line. Perhaps you should take your frustrations up with the port. Maybe it will do some good for future passengers.

The port handles arrivals based on the law and the regulations, NCL's business decision to embark new passengers requires CBP to alter the normal entry process.

I must respectfully disagree with the above statement. A full immigration, customs and agriculture check IS NORMAL for a ship arriving from a foreign port.

The closed loop cruise processing for US passengers is an EXCEPTION. A cruise is foreign travel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sparkygirl

Have you read all-american amy's post on FB's review? NCL should be appalled, the port of Tampa should be appalled.

Unacceptable. Hopefully there will not be a repeat. Time and future reviews will tell.

TBH, I'm surprised that Bay News 9 hasn't rolled up in front of the terminal yet or least, gotten a couple of carefully wordsmithed statements from NCL's and CBP's media relations.

TBH, I'm surprised that Bay News 9 hasn't rolled up in front of the terminal yet or least, gotten a couple of carefully wordsmithed statements from NCL's and CBP's media relations.

I wish they would, then at least all the rumors and theories could be put to rest. Although I don't have much faith in media either :D They do have a tendency to work their reports in a slant they think will bring the most "entertainment". We've seen that way too many times.

There once was a man named TonyE

Whose favorite utterance was a peeve

He cruised on the Dawn

Should have stayed on his lawn

And kept away from that board that has keys

That's a good one!

Thanks for my morning chuckle!:)

I don't only blame NCL. I blame port of tampa and cbp. I do put the start of all of this on NCL unless other information or evidence suggests otherwise.

But this is a cruise board and Complaining to CBP and port of Tampa would be mostly pointless as its the government and won't care a whole lot.

NCL is a profit driven entity and may take the complaints more seriously. I am sure that they got plenty of negative comment cards. There was a longline the last night just to get those.

I have now cruised out of Tampa 3 straight times and we have never gone through a check out process by CPB like this. Something made CPB make this change that did not effect the other two ships in port. Whatever type of loop this cruise is, its being treated differently.

How hard is this to understand?

I agree with several posters, if you can't find one thing good about being on vacation on a cruise ship something is wrong with you, just stay at work.

I was on the Dawn a year ago and had a great time. No it wasn't perfect and I still prefer the Sky to the Dawn, but I would go again.

Now the Tampa port is really crappy compared to Miami. Still that wouldn't prevent me from sailing again either.

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I have a voucher for $250 toward a 7 day or greater cruise with NCL which has to be used by Oct 19 th. We live in Bradenton FL and our nearest port is Tampa. It would be so nice to have sailled out of Tampa again(Last voyage out of Tampa was 15 yrs ago.) We were strongly considering the Dawn...but my sister unfortunately was on the dec 1 st voyage on the Dawn and she told me she got to the port at 1:30 and didn't get on board until 5:20. They of coarse missed the embarcation lunch and also would have missed the lobster night which is served on NCL the first evening, except that as exhausted as they were before they trudged over to the buffet they stopped and saw lobster on the menu at the MDR and went and had that. Not a big deal to most but if they had missed the lobster it would have been just one more disappointment on that cruise for them. In addition she said at least in her opinion that the food in general was not very good...They served very cheap cuts of meat at the carving station in the buffet. Three nights Pork one night Turkey (really, who wants Turkey right after Thanksgiving?) Another buffet had Bottom round roast(Not even top round) Sounds cheaply done to me as well. I'm thinking we will try the Getaway.!! Hopefully NCL values their customers on the Getaway. More then they seem to on the Dawn.

Hi everyone,

My hubby and I have a voucher for $250 toward a 7 day or greater cruise with NCL which has to be used by Oct 19 th. We live in Bradenton FL and our nearest port is Tampa. It would be so nice to have sailled out of Tampa again(Last voyage out of Tampa was 15 yrs ago.) We were strongly considering the Dawn...but my sister unfortunately was on the dec 1 st voyage on the Dawn and she told me she got to the port at 1:30 and didn't get on board until 5:20. They of coarse missed the embarcation lunch and also would have missed the lobster night which is served on NCL the first evening, except that as exhausted as they were before they trudged over to the buffet they stopped and saw lobster on the menu at the MDR and went and had that. Not a big deal to most but if they had missed the lobster it would have been just one more disappointment on that cruise for them. In addition she said at least in her opinion that the food in general was not very good...They served very cheap cuts of meat at the carving station in the buffet. Three nights Pork one night Turkey (really, who wants Turkey right after Thanksgiving?) Another buffet had Bottom round roast(Not even top round) Sounds cheaply done to me as well. I'm thinking we will try the Getaway.!! Hopefully NCL values their customers on the Getaway. More then they seem to on the Dawn.

Hoping you mean Oct 19th in a future year....

The Legend runs a very similar itinerary. They go to Honduras, Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The Dawn goes to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. So, the Legend is an apples to apples comparison here.

The Legend runs a very similar itinerary. They go to Honduras, Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The Dawn goes to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. So, the Legend is an apples to apples comparison here.

Yes thank you, The Ryndam goes to Guatamala as the only real difference too.

Yes thank you, The Ryndam goes to Guatamala as the only real difference too.

...and for what it's worth, RCI's Brilliance of the Seas uses the same terminal as NCL and they are not having this problem.

No, sorry but it is still apples to oranges. Until the Legend picks up foreign citizens at one of the ports along the way, these are different types of cruises...not the same, and not similar.

IF...the Legend were to do this, CBP would put them through the exact same procedure that the CBP puts the Dawn passengers through. So, the fact that a different cruise line was involved would have no bearing on what happens in the terminal. And since the cruise line has no control on the process (unlike CBP) you can't blame them for it.

Well, you could, but whose fault it is when the wrong party is blamed?

Here's another way to look at it:

If the Dawn were to do this exact cruise out of Nassau instead of Tampa (thereby never docking in a U.S. Port) and they still embarked the Brits just as they are now, would this still happen? Short answer: NO, as U.S. CBP would not be involved and their rules would not apply. Again....remove the responsible party and the action stops...even though NCL would still have the same involvement.

So, the fact that a different cruise line was involved would have no bearing on what happens in the terminal. And since the cruise line has no control on the process (unlike CBP) you can't blame them for it.

Well, you could, but whose fault it is when the wrong party is blamed?

Yes you can blame them.

And if the wrong party is blamed, then let them defend themselves if they want to or can. Happens all the time in lawsuits.

Simple problem, just blame them all and let the market sort it out. Only one though really faces the wrath of the consumer.

Sure, CBP may be what's causing the delays, but what they are doing is a response to what NCL is doing. You don't blame a cop for pulling over a speeding driver and causing that driver a delay on the side of the road. You blame the speeder. These delays are being caused by what NCL is doing. They either knew this would happen when they created this itinerary or they didn't put enough thought into it. Either way, they created it.