Advice Needed on Cabin/Deck Selection

cruiserchuck

I am planning to book an upcoming Mexico cruise on the Sapphire Princess. I am going to select a cabin on either the Baja or Caribe deck. The balcony would be bigger on the Caribe deck, but the only cabins available are within 10 cabins of the aft of the ship. On the Baja deck, the available cabins are about 10 cabins further forward toward mid-ship. I would like the bigger balcony, but would also prefer to be more mid-ship to avoid possible ship motion issues. I would appreciate suggestions about which deck to select.

I am planning to book an upcoming Mexico cruise on the Sapphire Princess. I am going to select a cabin on either the Baja or Caribe deck. The balcony would be bigger on the Caribe deck, but the only cabins available are within 10 cabins of the aft of the ship. On the Baja deck, the available cabins are about 10 cabins further forward toward mid-ship. I would like the bigger balcony, but would also prefer to be more mid-ship to avoid possible ship motion issues. I would appreciate suggestions about which deck to select.

My wife is very prone to all types of motion sickness & we're booked in an aft Caribe deck balcony on the Sapphire in January. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The lower the deck, the less motion. I think you'd be better off with the Caribe than the Baja cabin.

We did the Mexican itinerary on Star last year in C723. Very little motion and the big balcony is such a huge plus! We're doing Hawaii on Grand in April and picked a cabin in the same area. Princess 'upgraded' us to a mid-ship cabin up on Aloha - we had to call them and request to be switched back to the big balcony aft Caribe cabin. I think you might just like it back there :)

Have a great cruise!

I have been on 3 Coastal Samplers this year. There is only one sea day. One cruise we went in circles, the other, the captain made nice geometric rectangular patterns. I found the other 2 days to be relatively calm and smooth. I will also be on the January Sapphire Caribe/midship.

Everyone has their preferences. I find that the aft has much more vibration than any other part of the ship. I was in a Baja cabin midship on one of the coastals. I, personally, found it too cool to enjoy the balcony. I was up in (Star) Skywalker Lounge on the way to Hawaii last month. There was a lot of movement on deck 17. I was also in an (Star) interior forward and felt some motion (side to side and an occasional thunk!).

I have been on the Golden and her sister ship, the Star, 8 times in the past few years. Each section has its pros and cons. Given a choice, I will select mid-forward and mid-ship over the aft. There are many out there who really like the aft balconies. It is not for me. I like the Plaza deck (interior/ocean view), and the Caribe (a stretch) only because the steps are doable. Baja has a covered balcony and Caribe is completely exposed mid-ship.

You will probably have many more questions than answers but I hope you find the solution to your OP. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We just had an aft on Golden which we loved, but Sapphire is a different class.

We had a mid-ship Baja balcony last time.

Very little motion.

In Jan, we booked a Lido balcony because it's just up from the IC where we spend a lot of time.

The only real motion you should feel is coming back from Mexico. By then most people have their sea legs.

I take wrist bands and eat green apples.

Pat