Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

It makes not one bit of difference to me if I have a table cloth or not...as long as the service is good, the food is tasty and its served hot.

I don't have a tablecloth on my kitchen table and yet the food still tastes just fine.

As far as the comment of eating off the table that 3000 others have....do you really believe that on a ship worried about norovirus and stuff that they dont wipe down the table between servings? Come on!!

As far as the comment of eating off the table that 3000 others have....do you really believe that on a ship worried about norovirus and stuff that they dont wipe down the table between servings? Come on!!

Well no, I obviously know they wipe down the tables after each person, but at least with a tablecloth your entire surface got switched instead of just being wiped off. I know I sound extremely high maintenance but I think it's not only gross, but tacky and unprofessional.

It makes not one bit of difference to me if I have a table cloth or not...as long as the service is good, the food is tasty and its served hot.

I don't have a tablecloth on my kitchen table and yet the food still tastes just fine.

A Carnival dining room should not be compared to a kitchen. It should be compared to your dining room, and I've yet to even entertain in there without a tablecloth. Ever.

I've been away from my computer for about 3 weeks, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Has Carnival actually stopped using tablecloths in the dining room? If so, I find that completely tacky. It will certainly diminish the feeling of elegance, while dining IMHO.

I have always enjoyed the beautiful white cloths, the china, the heavy silver, the creatively folded napkin, then placed in your lap, the service. In other words, the whole nine yards of a very relaxing, elegant dinner.

Taking away the tablecloths just cheapens the whole experience. Might as well eliminate the dining room altogether, and line us all up at the buffet. Ugh.

Wondering how much they pay these so called marketers, or bean counters, to

come up with all the nit picking ways to cut costs?:confused: I think cutting their pay, would be a great way to save money.

Maybe tablecloths were a sign of an elegant dining experience 30 years ago, but all the fine dining restaurants I have been in New York over the past few years do not use tablecloths. These restaurants were far from being tacky. Join the 21st century.

Maybe tablecloths were a sign of an elegant dining experience 30 years ago, but all the fine dining restaurants I have been in New York over the past few years do not use tablecloths. These restaurants were far from being tacky. Join the 21st century.

These are not restaurants (yet). They are dining rooms, albeit large, like you have at hope with all the fancy stuff.

It appears they want to transform that into eating in the kitchen.

I've been away from my computer for about 3 weeks, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Has Carnival actually stopped using tablecloths in the dining room? .

Yes, this had been discussed, debated, and dragged through the mud in about a dozen threads.

Somebody will always post a photo of an allegedly nice restaurant in New York that has no tablecloths and therefor the rest of us lowly peons who do not reside in New York are supposed to oblige. (oh I see someone already posted about NYC as I was typing this, hense the edit!) :D

I believe most of the threads eventually became locked or deleted. People have strong love/hate relationships with tablecloths. ;)

BTW: They only took away the added fabric on Glory as of now because they are doing this new menu thing.

Edited by Lerin

Yes, I've seen the grody rags that they wipe the tables off with.

Yes, I've seen the grody rags that they wipe the tables off with.

Those things want to make me barf. I guess some think there a fresh one used for each table. Not. Just think what's in that dried streak from the previous table.

I've always thought that the whole "debate" is mostly just the angst of generational change. Carnival is just moving more toward the sensibilities of generations X and Y and expecting boomers to move along to Holland America or Princess.

A Carnival dining room should not be compared to a kitchen. It should be compared to your dining room, and I've yet to even entertain in there without a tablecloth. Ever.

Have not told DW about this on the Glory as I want to see her reaction.

Has Carnival actually stopped using tablecloths in the dining room? If so, I find that completely tacky. It will certainly diminish the feeling of elegance, while dining IMHO.

I have always enjoyed the beautiful white cloths, the china, the heavy silver, the creatively folded napkin, then placed in your lap, the service. In other words, the whole nine yards of a very relaxing, elegant dinner.

Taking away the tablecloths just cheapens the whole experience. Might as well eliminate the dining room altogether, and line us all up at the buffet. Ugh.

Wondering how much they pay these so called marketers, or bean counters, to come up with all the nit picking ways to cut costs?:confused: I think cutting their pay, would be a great way to save money.

Oh it's been discussed.... I think this poor horse is down to a bloody pulp by now. :rolleyes:

Wondering how much they pay these so called marketers, or bean counters, to come up with all the nit picking ways to cut costs?:confused: I think cutting their pay, would be a great way to save money.

Oh geez not again yes no tableclots on casual nights yes get over it.. Yes who gives a flip about a darn table cloth

Well no, I obviously know they wipe down the tables after each person, but at least with a tablecloth your entire surface got switched instead of just being wiped off. I know I sound extremely high maintenance but I think it's not only gross, but tacky and unprofessional.

How many land based resturants still use table cloths... Not very many

Ew...at least with tablecloths they got changed so you weren't eating on the same exact surface that 3,000 other people were. I really hope this isn't true.

I was trying to come up with a nice way to say this and you stated it perfectly. AND I can just imagine the germs attached to the sponge/rag / whatever , that they will be wiping the tables over and over again with.

Double yuck!

I was trying to come up with a nice way to say this and you stated it perfectly. AND I can just imagine the germs attached to the sponge/rag / whatever , that they will be wiping the tables over and over again with.

Double yuck!

Worse if It's in a place where cats walk on it. Just when you thought you heard it all.

Even a picnic gets a tablecloth.

Where's the "LIKE" button? EZ4, I really do like that !

For the OP, one of the other threads on this topic has a link to someone's vacation video that show's the tables, without tablecloths on casual nights, and with them for formal night. It showed the new abbreviated menu also. My own humble opinion was that the menu was fine, and not too much of a change, but the naked tables gave the impression that they were eating in a bar, not a restaurant.

Edited to add this link that I copied from that other thread.

Edited by Gayle V

Oh geez not again yes no tableclots on casual nights yes get over it.. Yes who gives a flip about a darn table cloth

I and many others "give a flip"! At the time of this announcement a survey surfaced on here and after several days those results indicated that 50+ per cent gave a flip. So let's all admit for as many of those like you that don't care, there are just as many that do care! Of course your entitled to your opinion. :-)