Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

Here's something I've observed about this debate: I have read a lot of reviews about the various Carnival Steakhouses. Not once over the years have I read that one single person was aghast that there weren't tablecloths. Not once.

Funny, isn't it?

Not many on these boards have dined in Farenheit 555 to have an opinion. Also, the wood tables compliment the décor and the Restaurant was designed with the wood tables in mind. This isn't the case for the MDR's!

I kept an open mind until I saw the pics of the MDR on the Glory with the new tables. :eek:

It looks like they need Robert Irvine or Gordon Ramsay to come in and do a makeover! The tables themselves are nice but definitely do not go with the carpet, chairs, etc. The tables don't match and makes the rest of the décor appear old and tired!

We spend too much money on our cruises between the type of room we book, our S&S, etc. that we're taking our money elsewhere. We rolled with the changes all through the years but enough is enough!

Too many choices of Cruise Lines which has what we enjoy about Cruising!

really? over a stupid table cloth...

really? over a stupid table cloth...

The tablecloths (or lack of) is the straw that broke the Camel's back! Lots of changes over the last 14 years and especially over the last couple of years and not for the better! The change in the quality of food, lack of Entertainment, etc.

We don't like the direction Carnival is going in! As I said lots of choices in Cruise Lines so time to move on! :)

The tablecloths (or lack of) is the straw that broke the Camel's back! Lots of changes over the last 14 years and especially over the last couple of years and not for the better! The change in the quality of food, lack of Entertainment, etc.

We don't like the direction Carnival is going in! As I said lots of choices in Cruise Lines so time to move on! :)

I'm surprised you won't even give it a chance to see if you like the new look..

I'm surprised you won't even give it a chance to see if you like the new look..

Jumping to conclusions is the most popular sport in these forums. :rolleyes: Personally table cloths make me feel like I'm at Grandma's house. I agree with the posters who said that the MDR with tablecloths looks like a banquet hall at a wedding, not a comfortable restaurant, much less a fine dining establishment.

I'm not going to read all 15 pages, just add my opinion...

It wouldn't keep me from sailing on Carnival if they dropped the tablecloths, but it does change the feel of the dining room to a "TGI Friday's". Of course, the dancing waiters already do that, so I guess they're being consistent. Besides, how else do you differentiate from the steakhouse? ;)

I'm actually happy that Carnival is going a bit more green by reducing the amount of laundry. This is a good thing and it doesn't bother me if Carnival saves some money in the process. That means they can spend more on quality food.

I would be very surprised if this meant Carnival spent more on 'quality' food!!!

It's more likely just more profit for them.

I'm not going to read all 15 pages, just add my opinion...

It wouldn't keep me from sailing on Carnival if they dropped the tablecloths, but it does change the feel of the dining room to a "TGI Friday's". Of course, the dancing waiters already do that, so I guess they're being consistent. Besides, how else do you differentiate from the steakhouse? ;)

Bare tables like the resin poured table tops of the 70s, dancing waiters, revised menus with meat loaf and chicken nuggets - Yep! It's Chucky Cheese of the Sea! Fine dining at its finest. :D

Prediction - Phase 2 - The buffet will become the only meals included in the cost of the cruise and the dining room will require an additional charge. My crystal ball is always right. ;)

Cheers!

I just searched and found the pictures someone mentioned. Oh my! That would completely change the dining experience for me. All we would need to complete the picture is for the waiter/waitress to come by with a rag and wipe the table off for the next group.:eek:

Kathy

P.S. And what would people wave when the servers do their march? Paper napkins?? (Note: I am not one of the "wavers.")

I just searched and found the pictures someone mentioned. Oh my! That would completely change the dining experience for me. All we would need to complete the picture is for the waiter/waitress to come by with a rag and wipe the table off for the next group.:eek:

Kathy

P.S. And what would people wave when the servers do their march? Paper napkins?? (Note: I am not one of the "wavers.")

change if for the BETTER! Table cloths are so 1970s Theres 1 reason for a tablecloth to cover up a ugly scratched table

My mom has a christmas tablecloth over her table at home for looks.. When the family was over and she was sitting the table know what she did.. She removed the table cloth and we ate off a bare table...

What land based resturants have table cloths?

Good for carnival for getting rid of the old over used tablecloths..

I never place my tableware directly on a table that has been wiped with some kind of rag/cloth. Who knows what that cloth has wiped up? I would feel it necessary to wipe down the tableware in the MDR for the same reason.

Sorry. I just can't eat directly off a table.

Kathy

The tables in the steakhouses seem to do just fine.

DSC_3229.JPG

I never place my tableware directly on a table that has been wiped with some kind of rag/cloth. Who knows what that cloth has wiped up? I would feel it necessary to wipe down the tableware in the MDR for the same reason.

Sorry. I just can't eat directly off a table.

Kathy

That is one amazing picture ! love the new look!

Do you never eat out at home? Redlobster Olive Garden, Longhorns? tablecloths are a thing of the past.. The new table looks amazing!

That is one amazing picture ! love the new look!

Do you never eat out at home? Redlobster Olive Garden, Longhorns? tablecloths are a thing of the past.. The new table looks amazing!

Sorry to disappoint but that is a picture of the Steakhouse! Have you seen the three pics posted showing the Glory's MDR with the new tables?

Sorry to disappoint but that is a picture of the Steakhouse! Have you seen the three pics posted showing the Glory's MDR with the new tables?

Exactly.

The Steakhouse looks beautiful because it has lovely decor, soft hued carpet, matching artwork, beige chairs, beautiful place settings with napkins folded into fans...Notice the design in the carpet matched the candles which match the glass between tables. Very aesthetically pleasing.

The MDR on all the ships is a sea of ugly.

Carnival is known for it's gaudy mis-matched neon designs, which is why the tablecloths are needed. They create a clean and crisp look to an otherwise ugly room.

Without them you are left with a tacky room filled with people in their "elegant" attire of yoga pants and T shirts. Hence why everyone is comparing it to Applebees.

Exactly.

The Steakhouse looks beautiful because it has lovely decor, soft hued carpet, matching artwork, beige chairs, beautiful place settings with napkins folded into fans...Notice the design in the carpet matched the candles which match the glass between tables. Very aesthetically pleasing.

The MDR on all the ships is a sea of ugly.

Carnival is known for it's gaudy mis-matched neon designs, which is why the tablecloths are needed. They create a clean and crisp look to an otherwise ugly room.

Without them you are left with a tacky room filled with people in their "elegant" attire of yoga pants and T shirts. Hence why everyone is comparing it to Applebees.

Tablecloths still there on elegant nights.. Just less formal nights they are gone

Yes I have one of the first weeks someone posted pixs on here loved the look a tablecloth is just 1980s to me something my late grandma liked

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away from my computer for about 3 weeks, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Has Carnival actually stopped using tablecloths in the dining room? If so, I find that completely tacky. It will certainly diminish the feeling of elegance, while dining IMHO.

I have always enjoyed the beautiful white cloths, the china, the heavy silver, the creatively folded napkin, then placed in your lap, the service. In other words, the whole nine yards of a very relaxing, elegant dinner.

Taking away the tablecloths just cheapens the whole experience. Might as well eliminate the dining room altogether, and line us all up at the buffet. Ugh.

Wondering how much they pay these so called marketers, or bean counters, to come up with all the nit picking ways to cut costs?:confused: I think cutting their pay, would be a great way to save money.