Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

I know tablecloths really don't matter but I see it like this; I don't usually use tablecloths at home so I like it when I'm on a cruise. I don't usually make my bed every morning but I sure like having the steward do it for me. :D

It boarders comical when people call the MDR experience as "fine dining", with or without tablecloths.

For those who think the experience is "fine dining", I have a luxury car for sale. A classic 1979 Pinto. Will throw in a fire extinguisher.

That one made me LOL :D

I know tablecloths really don't matter but I see it like this; I don't usually use tablecloths at home so I like it when I'm on a cruise. I don't usually make my bed every morning but I sure like having the steward do it for me. :D

Certainly not bashing anyone who wants the tablecloths, just not something that is important to me.

I just get a kick out of the thought that fine dining is servers dancing on tables, mass produced assembly line banquet style food, with glitzy decorations, people sitting in shorts wearing baseball caps and hoodies after paying around $59 a night for room, board, entertainment and transportation.

really

I have had some good meals on my cruises and I certainly never went hungry.

But when I think about some of the best meals I ever had , a cruise ship doesn't even come to mind.

I am trying to think of some of the best meals I have had but they were combined with some incredible moments. For a lot of people its not fine dining but the best dining they have had all year. Stay at home moms get to be waited on. It's still special and memorable so special dining.

This year I was in Jamaica and enjoyed some great meals but far from fine dining. Jerk Pork stand in Port Antonio, finger licking good, rice and peas at Sunset at the Palm rivaled my grandmother's (sorry granny):p The best seasoned lobster was on the beach in Negril, not the rubbery, bland, add butter to taste, I was served on 'elegant night' . If Carnival removes napkins, I am ready for that too:D

11368788634_5f1efc409d_m.jpg

[/url] , on Flickr

Edited by Blk_Amish

Certainly not bashing anyone who wants the tablecloths, just not something that is important to me.

I just get a kick out of the thought that fine dining is servers dancing on tables, mass produced assembly line banquet style food, with glitzy decorations, people sitting in shorts wearing baseball caps and hoodies after paying around $59 a night for room, board, entertainment and transportation.

I think this is an age thing. When I was in my 20s (started cruising at 21) I thought the experience in the MDR was the most amazing thing ever. Now, at 50 and having eaten in many fine dining establishments all over the world, I realize that the MDR on the mass lines is simply an Applebee's or Chili's with bells and whistles. It has no resemblance at all to fine dining but certainly offers reasonable food for the venue.

The person cooking the food in the first picture is not a Carnival crew person. He is wearing a Royal

Caribbean name badge

Yea....?? Do you think the Carnival galley looks much different?? I never intended to post a Carnival galley, just a mass market cruise galley.

I think this is an age thing. When I was in my 20s (started cruising at 21) I thought the experience in the MDR was the most amazing thing ever. Now, at 50 and having eaten in many fine dining establishments all over the world, I realize that the MDR on the mass lines is simply an Applebee's or Chili's with bells and whistles. It has no resemblance at all to fine dining but certainly offers reasonable food for the venue.

I agree.

I just turned 51 and after so many years and so many times , many things become "been there done that "

PS -- I don't like my silverware sitting on a table that has been wiped with probably a dirty rag.

Germs -- UGH

JMO

Give me a break! Don't you think there's the same germs on a dirty old table cloth that may be washed a couple times a week in the same Landry with dish rags mops after they cleaned up someone's puke

From JH facebook page today:

Name: Sami ----------------

Message: it has been reported by different people on ------ ------ that Carnival is making another cutback and switching to paper napkins in the main dinning hall. No tablecloths and no napkins!!!!!!!!! Can you confirm ?????????

Oh FFS

Is there anyone who really thought we did that ? Well obviously the answer is no although e are considering doing away with toilet paper and asking you to use the toilet brush........joke, that's a sodding joke.

Serious answer, we have beautiful cloth napkins as part of the new American Table.

It boarders comical when people call the MDR experience as "fine dining", with or without tablecloths.

For those who think the experience is "fine dining", I have a luxury car for sale. A classic 1979 Pinto. Will throw in a fire extinguisher.

Absolutely on point. The food is just ok at best and thus when you take away ambiance your taking an ok or average dining experience and making it something less. Carnival cannot afford to deliver less in another segment of their customer service experience.

Yea....?? Do you think the Carnival galley looks much different?? I never intended to post a Carnival galley, just a mass market cruise galley.

I love it when someone gets snagged and then tries to back out. What does a kitchen photo have to do "fine dining"?

It's part of the dining experience. While others may not think of the MDR as fine dining, our family does. Being on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean is a luxury. Bare tables do not scream luxury. They scream cheap.

Exactly, but then again the whole CCL experience has become CHEAP! :(

I think more experience thing. You had your first cruise almost 30 years ago,when cruising was about wealth. You have eaten at place some can only imagine or even care to . When I travel abroad I eat at very local places to get the true flavor of the food. The all inclusive resorts, such as Couples, can be good but we take a break and get out. For some the food is Chili's but the bells and whistle (table cloths) make it special dining. At 49, and 2 kids to put through college, travel for fine dining is not even on the horizon. Traveling is more to experience sights and a bit of local culture. The mdr is about dressing up and a different atmosphere. The food is hit and miss, which is OK but some darn good.

Why turn the whole experience into cheap Chili's. We don't need a cruise for that!

Edited by Blk_Amish

I love it when someone gets snagged and then tries to back out. What does a kitchen photo have to do "fine dining"?

Surely you can't be serious? Ok, you got me. I threw in the lower end of the mass market cruise industry galley in order to throw everyone off. Yea, Carnival has a much higher end galley. I have been called out. Hate when that happens. I no, shame on me, Carnival is so much more classy, elegant with their high end, refined galley then Royal Caribbean.

3885181120_d0285d5993_z.jpg?zz=1

So much better then that slop pit on Royal.

Edited by Tutankhamen

May I suggest to you and the other 289 posters who took the time to say not having table cloths is a terrible idea that when taking your own table cloths, they be in white or off white. It will make for a more elegant look. Thank you.

Surely you can't be serious? Ok, you got me. I threw in the lower end of the mass market cruise industry galley in order to throw everyone off. Yea, Carnival has a much higher end galley. I have been called out. Hate when that happens. I no, shame on me, Carnival is so much more classy, elegant with their high end, refined galley then Royal Caribbean.

3885181120_d0285d5993_z.jpg?zz=1

So much better then that slop pit on Royal.

Missed the point again....what does either photo have to do with fine dining.?

Actually, the waiters will be dancing on tablecloths to keep the counters clean. I love the dancing waiters and so does Carnival. They are not going anywhere so get used to it.

Slow down there Jimbo!! A few points, don't need to get use to anything as long as i have a choice. I have a choice to cruise and also with whom I care to cruise with, so no need for me to get use to anything.

Secondly, you are correct, I do not care for the dancing waiters. Doesn't make or break my cruise. Last cruise we were out of the dining room before the dog and pony show even started in the banquet hall.

But this does not change the fact that just because you call something fine dining does not make it so in my book.

Missed the point again....what does either photo have to do with fine dining.?

Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo.....thanks for making my morning. Haven't had a good laugh like this since last night.

Someone pointed out that it wasn't a Carnival galley. You pointed out that I had been "snagged", which implies that my argument doesn't hold water do to the fact that I posted a galley from a more expensive cruise line.

When I then post a pic of a Carnival galley you want to do the shuffle shuffle.

Ok, I am good with that Jimbo. What does it have to do with fine dining... amusing that you would even have to ask. Lets break it down. Fine dining. I believe food is the biggest part of fine dining. How the food is cooked, and the quality of the product is part of the experience. If you do not understand that, then I have nothing else to share.

The pictures of the galleys, even the horrid Royal galley, is a way to demonstrate that the food in banquet style. Nothing more, nothing less, Jimbo.

Slow down there Jimbo!! A few points, don't need to get use to anything as long as i have a choice. I have a choice to cruise and also with whom I care to cruise with, so no need for me to get use to anything.

Secondly, you are correct, I do not care for the dancing waiters. Doesn't make or break my cruise. Last cruise we were out of the dining room before the dog and pony show even started in the banquet hall.

But this does not change the fact that just because you call something fine dining does not make it so in my book.

I am already going pretty slow...lol. ;) But thanks for worrying. I did not say you had to like it. I said it was not going anywhere. It has become a signature item. If the changes that everyone is whining about are not another example, Carnival likes and will stay being the FUN ships. They are and will be the Value proposition in cruising.

I think more experience thing. You had your first cruise almost 30 years ago,when cruising was about wealth. You have eaten at place some can only imagine or even care to . When I travel abroad I eat at very local places to get the true flavor of the food. The all inclusive resorts, such as Couples, can be good but we take a break and get out. For some the food is Chili's but the bells and whistle (table cloths) make it special dining. At 49, and 2 kids to put through college, travel for fine dining is not even on the horizon. Traveling is more to experience sights and a bit of local culture. The mdr is about dressing up and a different atmosphere. The food is hit and miss, which is OK but some darn good.

Why turn the whole experience into cheap Chili's. We don't need a cruise for that!

Oh trust me, we eat at only local places when we travel also. I cannot fathom going to a Burger King in Munich, for example! We have experienced high end and casual dining in every country we've visited, and always local.

And your statement about the MDR "being about dressing up with a different atmosphere", that might be all well and good on the upscale lines. But Carnival has relaxed their dress code so far down that wife-beater shirts and baseball caps are standard in the MDR now. Even "elegant" night (boy, am I using that loosely!) is about "dress jeans" (isn't that an oxymoron?) and polo shirts. There is nothing whatsoever resembling "fine dining" in the MDR anymore. Like others who have posted here, it amuses me to see it referred to as such.

Jimbo, Jimbo, Jimbo.....thanks for making my morning. Haven't had a good laugh like this since last night.

Someone pointed out that it wasn't a Carnival galley. You pointed out that I had been "snagged", which implies that my argument doesn't hold water do to the fact that I posted a galley from a more expensive cruise line.

When I then post a pic of a Carnival galley you want to do the shuffle shuffle.

Ok, I am good with that Jimbo. What does it have to do with fine dining... amusing that you would even have to ask. Lets break it down. Fine dining. I believe food is the biggest part of fine dining. How the food is cooked, and the quality of the product is part of the experience. If you do not understand that, then I have nothing else to share.

The pictures of the galleys, even the horrid Royal galley, is a way to demonstrate that the food in banquet style. Nothing more, nothing less, Jimbo.

Soup pots (by the way Carnival soup is very good, the best we have had on the seas) does not demonstrate your point. Maybe Seaborne, Regent or Crystal (or river cruising...and Viking is coming out with an ocean liner next year) will fit your preference better (hopefully the price as well). But we can move on. You can call me Jim:)

Oh trust me, we eat at only local places when we travel also. I cannot fathom going to a Burger King in Munich, for example! We have experienced high end and casual dining in every country we've visited, and always local.

And your statement about the MDR "being about dressing up with a different atmosphere", that might be all well and good on the upscale lines. But Carnival has relaxed their dress code so far down that wife-beater shirts and baseball caps are standard in the MDR now. Even "elegant" night (boy, am I using that loosely!) is about "dress jeans" (isn't that an oxymoron?) and polo shirts. There is nothing whatsoever resembling "fine dining" in the MDR anymore. Like others who have posted here, it amuses me to see it referred to as such.

The McDonald's in Barcelona was bad but sold beer and the soda came with ICE. The KFC in Jamaica has a local favor so different from US version. House wine in Italy was fabulous but beer in Vienna to die for. I travel with kids and away from home from 10 days to a month. Because Carnival has relax the standard, we don't all have to stoop to it or completely embrace it. Yes, I might pack my own white or off white table cloths because it goes better with MY outfit. Carnival still delivers fun I can provide the fabric, maybe purchase at K-Mart. :D

AGREED, not fine dining, but better dining than many had all year.I would never eat a burger or hot dog on a cruise:p

Edited by Blk_Amish