Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

I never associate table cloth with elegant just proper/nice. Clearly looking nice is something Carnival gave up on. I cruise Carnival so my budget could not allow for 'elegant' restaurant but I know nice looking. I would never put real plates on a table without a piece of cloth, heck sheet if necessary. Clothes made the man and cloth make the table setting. JMOP!

Aside, won't the spills and hot plate ruin the wood or are they going to plastic tops. I use a table pad to protect my 'formal' table plus runners and placemats for the regular one.

The tables in the steakhouses seem to do just fine.

DSC_3229.JPG

DSC_3229.JPG

True but not some place I would fine it necessary to wear a gown or a real fancy outfit. It's the fantasy!

Maybe Carnival is going steakhouse so hope for a better cut of beef. Those tables have the curved edge/lip to catch the spill.

Yes tablecloth, tux, and gowns are things of the past. Find another line or pack your jeans and tee shirt.

Skinny jeans, semi sheer top, a likkle bling, Carnival here I come!

Edited by Blk_Amish

When I first read that tablecloths were be eliminated except for elegant nights, I was concerned. What is Carnival doing now!!!:eek:

The more I thought about it and with reading other comments, IMHO, think it's a smart move. It's certainly a money saver to start and more environment friendly. Less water useage, less detergents, less junk going into our oceans.....less power etc. I think it's smart.

As with any change, people object. But, change can be positive. Give it time.

Wonder what the Legend will have in January when I cruise next? :rolleyes:

When I first read that tablecloths were be eliminated except for elegant nights, I was concerned. What is Carnival doing now!!!:eek:

The more I thought about it and with reading other comments, IMHO, think it's a smart move. It's certainly a money saver to start and more environment friendly. Less water useage, less detergents, less junk going into our oceans.....less power etc. I think it's smart.

As with any change, people object. But, change can be positive. Give it time.

Wonder what the Legend will have in January when I cruise next? :rolleyes:

That's so true. If this is about the environment that there are other things that can and should be done. Call it what it is, a money saver not the oh, its wasn't formal or elegant. The dining room is a dream come true for some of us. We sit down looking at times uncomfortable but lovely and get served by people who pretend to like us and our kids. Oh the fantasy:D

Lesson - if there is something you like, appreciate it because you don't know when it's going to be gone, like the tablecloth in MDR. Like Milli Vanilli sad, I am going to miss you. For the first time I am thinking NCL another change.

Edited by Blk_Amish

After the tablecloths disappear, the next great "upgrade" will be television sets on all the walls, all set on silent. After that, they'll do away with cutlery and serve only food that can be eaten using hands. This is inevitable. Time marches on. Backwards. This is how people ate in the seventeenth century, sans televisions, of course.

That's so true. If this is about the environment that there are other things that can and should be done. Call it what it is, a money saver not the oh, its wasn't formal or elegant. The dining room is a dream come true for some of us. We sit down looking at times uncomfortable but lovely and get served by people who pretend to like us and our kids. Oh the fantasy:D

Lesson - if there is something you like, appreciate it because you don't know when it's going to be gone, like the tablecloth in MDR. Like Milli Vanilli sad, I am going to miss you. For the first time I am thinking NCL another change.

Milli Vanilli willl never be gone. They will live on as long as other people have talent. :)

Strike a compromise. Skip the table linen for breakfast/lunch, but use it for evening meals.

I dont think carnival cares about the 1% on here.. They will do what they are fit because there will always be new cruisers.. And really people is a dang table cloth a deal breaker

Strike a compromise. Skip the table linen for breakfast/lunch, but use it for evening meals.

Yes or have a section with table cloth to the left and the naked tables to the right. Not everyone chooses Carnival because it's cheap or because they want to dress casual. Maybe another dining room with no kids, wait there goes the fantasy again. It's what's next that is scary , no doubt, no mo' bacon, and that's reality I am not ready for. Maybe just my neck of the woods but bacon has skyrocketed in price so bad for cutbacks.

"If one is lucky, a solitary fantasy can totally transform one million realities

" Maya Angelo - but in this case a Carnival dining room.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I dont think carnival cares about the 1% on here.. They will do what they are fit because there will always be new cruisers.. And really people is a dang table cloth a deal breaker

Death by a thousand cuts. Make one small cut, no one really notices or complains. Keep making those tiny cuts here and there though and you change the overall experience. I am not very particular about a tablecloth in and of itself, but when you take all the small changes over the last handful of years it is easy to see that Carnival offers a VASTLY different product than even 5 years ago. New cruisers don't know what they are missing becuase they have no baseline of comparison.

So it's not just a tablecloth, or any other singular change, it's the overall different offering by CCL compared to what they were. For some people the change to the dining EXPERIENCE is what finally is driving them away. I was driven away BEFORE this change. I keep hoping and looking for a reason to return but it really seems like Carnival only wants new cruisers who probably have a very high onboard spending rate.

DSC_3229.JPG

Oh my! How did I not notice this? I must become outraged immediately! :mad:

Hmm just can't seem to muster up any emotion over the presence of or lack of a table cloth... :rolleyes:

I seem to be hearing many people moaning about losing the "fine dining", which, to me, invokes a long, slow, dinner, savoring each course (totally unrelated to tablecloth or not), but on other dining-room related threads, I've heard many people complain about slowness of service and the meal taking too long because they want to get in and out fast.

So, which is it? Fine dining or quick-serve?

Personally, I think only having the tablecloths on for elegant nights will make elegant night seem that much more special, whereas now it's just like another night, except I'm looking at my husband in a suit while wearing my cocktail dress.

My favorite quote in the article "But almost everyone agrees that fine dining is not likely to disappear. It is simply being reconfigured." IMHO this is exactly what we have been seeing on land and now finally at sea. Some of you are complaining about the loss of traditions. Traditions change over time, they always have and always will. Carnival is reacting to the current trends in dining. I personally think they are on the right track....and if helps cut costs bonus for them and bonus for us so they can keep prices down.

That is very interesting. It is nice to see that it is a trend in the restaurant business now and maybe Carnival made the decision based somewhat on that and not just for money saving reasons even though we know that was probably the main reason.

My favorite quote in the article "But almost everyone agrees that fine dining is not likely to disappear. It is simply being reconfigured." IMHO this is exactly what we have been seeing on land and now finally at sea. Some of you are complaining about the loss of traditions. Traditions change over time, they always have and always will. Carnival is reacting to the current trends in dining. I personally think they are on the right track....and if helps cut costs bonus for them and bonus for us so they can keep prices down.

There are two elements of a fine dining experience that customers consider. Food quality and ambiance. When food is amazing as it is in many of the locations mentioned in this article, ambiance becomes a secondary consideration. Customers accept change as in these cases they are emotionally consumed by the dining experience itself. If Peter Luger's Steakhouse in Brooklyn served mediocre food I assure you their rustic atmosphere would be a subject of discussion. The fact they serve some of the best steaks in the world makes that discussion mute. There is no way that anyone is going to call Carnival MDR food incredible so to make their dining experience incredible, you must also consider providing a very special atmosphere. Bare tables, self serve water and sharing appetizers do not evoke any discussion of elegance or warmth and certainly do not offset the serving of mediocre food (at best).

There are two elements of a fine dining experience that customers consider. Food quality and ambiance. When food is amazing as it is in many of the locations mentioned in this article, ambiance becomes a secondary consideration. Customers accept change as in these cases they are emotionally consumed by the dining experience itself. If Peter Luger's Steakhouse in Brooklyn served mediocre food I assure you their rustic atmosphere would be a subject of discussion. The fact they serve some of the best steaks in the world makes that discussion mute. There is no way that anyone is going to call Carnival MDR food incredible so to make their dining experience incredible, you must also consider providing a very special atmosphere. Bare tables, self serve water and sharing appetizers do not evoke any discussion of elegance or warmth and certainly do not offset the serving of mediocre food (at best).

I think the difference is that I have never considered the Carnival MDR "fine dining" to begin with. Especially on casual nights which is when the tablecloths will be gone and with the relaxed dress codes that most passengers have embraced on casual nights. IMHO the table clothes and number of silver ware did not make them "fine dining". The food, while good, is not "fine dining". It's banquet, Applebees, Red Lobster, and Outback quality at best. I like those restaurants so I'm not knocking the food...it's just not "fine dining" food. I didn't pay "fine dining" prices so I never expected "fine dining" food. If you ever thought so then they must have fooled you with table cloth.

IMHO Carnival is following the trend to more casual dining that is being seen across America...in "fine dining" establishments or not. I think their surveys have shown that their target markets prefer the casual over the traditional formal and they are catering to that (as well as saving a dollar). I don't think they need to add the table cloths to make them a fine dining establishment when the focus is on becoming a casual family dining establishment...they are calling the menu's American Table and American Feast...that screams family casual and not fine dining to me. I look forward to trying it someday. I never needed the pretense to enjoy dinner with my family on vacation.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I agree about ambiance. There is a very amazing and quite pricey restaurant that we went to a couple times but the atmosphere did not reflect the food OR the prices of the food. It put us off. We stopped going. Even with phenomenal food, I couldn't get past how laid back it was.

Now cruising isn't mega expensive....so that makes this situation quite different, but if you enjoy having a dinner in something a little more dressed up, this new 'look' does make a difference. It depends on what you want in a vacation, what your expectations are and how you live your life. There are those that barely cook meals at night and certainly don't set a table....so I imagine from that perspective a lack of table linens is not a big deal and that's ok. Everyone is different.

so know all you have to do is wipe up a table top instead of launder a tablecloth

Pack your Stain Stick....YOU will be doing some laundering if you have a spill

Edited by halos