Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

Look up Colicchio and Sons Main Dining Room in NYC. It's frequently named as the top fine dining restaurant in the country and guess what? No tablecloths. Just my observation.

Yes, but I bet they are not serving 750 customers at once, (half of which want to wear shorts or jeans), while waiters dance to Gangnman Style, in a dining room decorated in cheap neon. And something tells me that the cuisine has to be just a bit better execution, quality, and creativity than the "Betcha" menus on Carnival.

The tablecloth is an absolute non-issue. It's presence doesn't make a restaurant elegant, and it's absence doesn't automatically turn it into an Applebee's.

Edited by Tapi

I agree that a crisp white table cloth adds a little something special to the dining experience, but not having one is not a deal breaker for me. A few nights ago DH and I had a very nice b'day dinner at a high end restaurant and guess what, they did not have white tablecloths and the atmosphere was not lacking the zeal of a high end restaurant.

I can only imagine the expense associated with keeping those tablecloths laundered. Just like we are all experiencing drastic price increases in everything from groceries to utilities, so is Carnival. Personally, I appreciate them looking for ways to cut expenses without raising cruise fares;).

I agree that a crisp white table cloth adds a little something special to the dining experience, but not having one is not a deal breaker for me. A few nights ago DH and I had a very nice b'day dinner at a high end restaurant and guess what, they did not have white tablecloths and the atmosphere was not lacking the zeal of a high end restaurant.

I can only imagine the expense associated with keeping those tablecloths laundered. Just like we are all experiencing drastic price increases in everything from groceries to utilities, so is Carnival. Personally, I appreciate them looking for ways to cut expenses without raising cruise fares;).

I voted that I felt it cheapened the dining experience however, after reading your post, I believe what you stated is exactly how I feel. While i prefer them, it's not a deal breaker. And honestly, as someone on here pointed out earlier, I may not have noticed if it weren't for the thread posted here. I'll be going next week so i'll let you know. :)

It's part of the dining experience. While others may not think of the MDR as fine dining, our family does. Being on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean is a luxury. Bare tables do not scream luxury. They scream cheap.

Have you seen the new tables! They are a lot nicer than the current tables why cover up such beauty ..

If you need tablecloths, a tie around your neck and a gown to give you class. You probably didnt have any before you walked in the room

What a load of meshuga. The above comment is indicative of reverse snobbery at its best (or worst, depending on how you look at it). I assure you: dressing up, or dressing down, is no indication of class; humility, kindness, tact and understanding are what gives someone class – qualities you seem to fall short of having.

Is it too difficult to get that some people simply like to dress up for dinner? If you don't, fine – that's your choice – but to sit there and imply that people who like to wear a tie or gown haven't a modicum of class is a very low-class thing to say.

I voted that I felt it cheapened the dining experience however, after reading your post, I believe what you stated is exactly how I feel. While i prefer them, it's not a deal breaker. And honestly, as someone on here pointed out earlier, I may not have noticed if it weren't for the thread posted here. I'll be going next week so i'll let you know. :)

Have a great cruise vaction!!

I think a table can be elegant with or without a tablecloth, depending on how it is set. Unfortunately, the pictures I've seen posted so far do not look very elegant. :(

I'm actually happy that Carnival is going a bit more green by reducing the amount of laundry. This is a good thing and it doesn't bother me if Carnival saves some money in the process. That means they can spend more on quality food.

What a load of meshuga. The above comment is indicative of reverse snobbery at its best (or worst, depending on how you look at it). I assure you: dressing up, or dressing down, is no indication of class; humility, kindness, tact and understanding are what gives someone class – qualities you seem to fall short of having.

Is it too difficult to get that some people simply like to dress up for dinner? If you don't, fine – that's your choice – but to sit there and imply that people who like to wear a tie or gown haven't a modicum of class is a very low-class thing to say.

Dont get all Verklempt.... I never said people who wear a tie or gown do not have any class. Not sure where you read that . You must fall short in the reading comprehension category.

I said if one thinks that tablecloths and fancy dress are an indication of class, then they probably dont have too much to begin with.

Creating a fine dining atmosphere is all about the details.Few items in a restaurant dining room make a statement the way tablecloths do. Crisply ironed tablecloths and starched linen napkins set a distinctly upscale atmosphere. Tablecloths go hand in hand with fine dining. It makes one feel pampered.

reverse snobbery...., modicum of class.... dem is throw down words.:eek: It is interesting how things do intertwine (on a somewhat more serious note). Dress code, tied to tablecloths, and eventually tied to tipping...I am sure.

Thinking about this a bit more... we go to fairly upscale restaurants fairly often. Most of the newer "fancy" dining venues do NOT have tablecloths these days - they go for modern and trendy. The older "fancy" restaurants tend to keep using linens.

I don't care either way as long as the overall ambiance is nice and the food is tasty.