Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

I am already going pretty slow...lol. ;) But thanks for worrying. I did not say you had to like it. I said it was not going anywhere. It has become a signature item. If the changes that everyone is whining about are not another example, Carnival likes and will stay being the FUN ships. They are and will be the Value proposition in cruising.

Just to be VERY clear, I have cruised Royal, NCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. Use to love Royal. Been leaning towards Carnival, and even if they were a dollar for dollar expense, I would still choose Carnival....not taking into consideration ports.

I like Carnival. I enjoy the product. Comedy club is a big component and the food options. But as far as the dining experience, it is like choosing to have a banquet at a Sheraton vs Hilton.

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium. Self parking, leather, GPS, lane keeping system, remote start and every bell and whistle you can get, but it will never be a luxury car. Just a mass market vehicle with some bells and whistles.

I for one could care less about the tablecloths. Will not affect me one way or the other. Just sorry they won't have them on formal night. hahahahahah

Just to be VERY clear, I have cruised Royal, NCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival. Use to love Royal. Been leaning towards Carnival, and even if they were a dollar for dollar expense, I would still choose Carnival....not taking into consideration ports.

I like Carnival. I enjoy the product. Comedy club is a big component and the food options. But as far as the dining experience, it is like choosing to have a banquet at a Sheraton vs Hilton.

I have a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium. Self parking, leather, GPS, lane keeping system, remote start and every bell and whistle you can get, but it will never be a luxury car. Just a mass market vehicle with some bells and whistles.

I for one could care less about the tablecloths. Will not affect me one way or the other. Just sorry they won't have them on formal night. hahahahahah

fair enough.... No table cloths on formal night:eek:

;)

How does the self parking work?

Soup pots (by the way Carnival soup is very good, the best we have had on the seas) does not demonstrate your point. Maybe Seaborne, Regent or Crystal (or river cruising...and Viking is coming out with an ocean liner next year) will fit your preference better (hopefully the price as well). But we can move on. You can call me Jim:)

Jim, you are missing my point. I really enjoy Carnival. I am very happy with the product. But I do not consider soup being cooked in giant soup cauldrons, dancing waiters a fine dining experience. And fine dining is not what I am looking for when I cruise. I expect a few options, some tasty food and good service.

The funny thing is we both agree that Carnival is a good choice, we just disagree with how the experience is categorized. Me, banquet style. You, fine dining. and guess what? I am OK with that. I am not OK with that they will now have Chippendale night, with clear plastic tablecloths.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Here's something I've observed about this debate: I have read a lot of reviews about the various Carnival Steakhouses. Not once over the years have I read that one single person was aghast that there weren't tablecloths. Not once.

Funny, isn't it?

[

quote=jimbo5544;40959024]fair enough.... No table cloths on formal night:eek:

;)

Only works for parallel parking. As you drive down the street that you want to park on, you push a button and put on your turn signal on the side you want to park. The car will begin searching for a spot big enough to park in. When it finds the spot it will chime and tell you when to stop. You then put it in reverse and let go. It will then chime when it is done. Pretty cool. Problem is I rarely have a need for it.

Here's something I've observed about this debate: I have read a lot of reviews about the various Carnival Steakhouses. Not once over the years have I read that one single person was aghast that there weren't tablecloths. Not once.

Funny, isn't it?

Could it be because dressing up was never required or suggested, 'elegant jeans"?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Funny, isn't it?

The crazy thing is JH just posted that they will now have tablecloths in the steakhouse. Go figure.

Surely you can't be serious? Ok, you got me. I threw in the lower end of the mass market cruise industry galley in order to throw everyone off. Yea, Carnival has a much higher end galley. I have been called out. Hate when that happens. I no, shame on me, Carnival is so much more classy, elegant with their high end, refined galley then Royal Caribbean.

3885181120_d0285d5993_z.jpg?zz=1

So much better then that slop pit on Royal.

is that the Magic or another Dream class? That looks exactly like the Magic's main galley.

Jim, you are missing my point. I really enjoy Carnival. I am very happy with the product. But I do not consider soup being cooked in giant soup cauldrons, dancing waiters a fine dining experience. And that is not what I am looking for when I cruise. I expect a few options, some tasty food and good service.

The funny thing is we both agree that Carnival is a good choice, we just disagree with how the experience is categorized. Me, banquet style. You, fine dining. and guess what? I am OK with that. I am not OK that they will now have Chippendale night, with clear plastic tablecloths.

I do get it. To be honest, I am not even sure what "fine dining" really means to me. Carnival is in a flux period. Their changes (we will see which ones will stay and which will move on) is part of them trying to show some change. They have had a year or so they would like to put behind them. New ships (for the next couple of years....at least) will not be part of that change. Chippendales... to be honest I have never thought of that while watching them, I don't see going anywhere. But that's my view, and I have been wrong today already.

[

quote=jimbo5544;40959024]fair enough.... No table cloths on formal night:eek:

;)

Only works for parallel parking. As you drive down the street that you want to park on, you push a button and put on your turn signal on the side you want to park. The car will begin searching for a spot big enough to park in. When it finds the spot it will chime and tell you when to stop. You then put it in reverse and let go. It will then chime when it is done. Pretty cool. Problem is I rarely have a need for it.

That is pretty cool. Technology at work!

Chippendales... to be honest I have never thought of that while watching them, I don't see going anywhere. But that's my view, and I have been wrong today already.

That was my attempt at humor. The dancing waiters do not remind me of Chippendales. Just throwing that in to the arena with the confusion over the formal night and the infamous tablecloth. Wife said Chippendale night would still not be fine dining, but would be "Fine with her.":confused:

At Bed Bath and Beyond (I am not employed by them) they have white windsor stain resistant table cloths, 52 inches square for $19.99. I am sure you could use them and they would still look good for the five out of seven nights we will be having bare tables in the MDR.

At Bed Bath and Beyond (I am not employed by them) they have white windsor stain resistant table cloths, 52 inches square for $19.99. I am sure you could use them and they would still look good for the five out of seven nights we will be having bare tables in the MDR.

Add to Christmas list:D:)

That was my attempt at humor. The dancing waiters do not remind me of Chippendales. Just throwing that in to the arena with the confusion over the formal night and the infamous tablecloth. Wife said Chippendale night would still not be fine dining, but would be "Fine with her.":confused:

HA, same here.

You know, this thread really got me thinking about how somethings mean so much to some, and so little to others.

One thing for sure, change is a constant. Look at the old photos of cruise ships, or even baseball games from the 50's, every man is wearing suits. I guess I like change, except for my hair.......or there lack of

Edited by Tutankhamen

HA, same here.

I see you have a RCCL cruise booked. Anxious to see what you think. the 80's and 90's loved Royal. Then I took a break from cruising and went back around 2005 to Royal and was disappointed. Like to know if they are getting back to what I liked or still lacking.

Okay, my two cents. We have sailed numerous times with three cruise lines. I also have a diet technician and food management degree. I do not consider myself an expert, but do consider myself knowledgeable on the subject.

People need to chill out.

Ask any woman on a cruise what she wants in dining experience. 95% will say they want someone else to do the cooking and clean up of the meal. They want leisurely, stress free dining. They want a companion who pays attention to them. They want a server who is friendly but professional, and knows the ingredients and manner of cooking of the food.

No where, at no time, will they say they need table clothes. Just not going to happen. And, if it does, God bless this lady who has such a nice life that this might make a difference.

Men, pay attention to your lady. Make her NOT NOTICE the table.

Again, my 2cents worth.