Poll: Table cloth or NO table cloth ?

With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below  

817 members have voted

1. 1. With the proposed changes relating to table cloth/linen in the MDR, please vote below

• Eating off a table with no table cloth – a terrible idea and it will cheapen the experience.
    • If it looks OK then I would be happy with or with-out a table cloth.
    • I really don’t care for a table cloth – as long as my food is good.

really

I have had some good meals on my cruises and I certainly never went hungry.

But when I think about some of the best meals I ever had , a cruise ship doesn't even come to mind.

Actually the best meal I have ever had was on a cruise ship. 2004 Disney Magic in Palo.

Okay, my two cents. We have sailed numerous times with three cruise lines. I also have a diet technician and food management degree. I do not consider myself an expert, but do consider myself knowledgeable on the subject.

People need to chill out.

Ask any woman on a cruise what she wants in dining experience. 95% will say they want someone else to do the cooking and clean up of the meal. They want leisurely, stress free dining. They want a companion who pays attention to them. They want a server who is friendly but professional, and knows the ingredients and manner of cooking of the food.

No where, at no time, will they say they need table clothes. Just not going to happen. And, if it does, God bless this lady who has such a nice life that this might make a difference.

Men, pay attention to your lady. Make her NOT NOTICE the table.

Again, my 2cents worth.

It might be a generational thing.

Years ago when men went to work and women stayed home and played Donna Reed and life was "waxy yellow build up", "ring around the collar ", "and coffee so good he asks for a second cup." Women cared more about this stuff because your decorating style and how clean your house is was your ID.

Today you have more and more women trying to work a full time job, raise kids and clean a house . Like you said , its the break in routine and the all too rare one on one time with loved ones that matters more than tablecloths and how many forks are on the table , or the napkin looks like a swan

I see you have a RCCL cruise booked. Anxious to see what you think. the 80's and 90's loved Royal. Then I took a break from cruising and went back around 2005 to Royal and was disappointed. Like to know if they are getting back to what I liked or still lacking.

It is a real break for us. I do have to say it for the ship. We will see what it brings for us.

Since it is not happening... who cares about the poll! :rolleyes:

Good luck in nursing school. Semi retired in 2011 after 30 yrs as an ER RN. Great career and they invited me to come back and work just when I so desire. Now I just work in the ER about 16 hrs a month, which leaves lots of time for cruises!

Here's something I've observed about this debate: I have read a lot of reviews about the various Carnival Steakhouses. Not once over the years have I read that one single person was aghast that there weren't tablecloths. Not once.

Funny, isn't it?

I repeat my point. There are actually three things people consider when reviewing a restaurant. Ambiance, food and service. In my mind Carnival has been slipping in the food department for quite a long time. As well as noted on here the cutback in wait staff has impacted the service. Now they are doing their best to degrade the ambiance. You could fool me but I think they have done just about all they could do to make this anything but fine dining. With all the other reductions in the areas of entertainment, loyalty programs and other areas, my concern is they have killed the golden goose.

If the tables are nice underneath then it doesn't bother me. However....I have peeked under those table cloths and found white plastic fold out tables before. :rolleyes:

If it's a nice wood table like the one photo showed then I think that is perfectly fine. But....I might start dressing more casual on the non formal nights :p

Perhaps those who don't want tablecloths are also those who don't want to dress code?

Actually I like the dress code just the way it is on casual nights.....casual. Carnival is just changing the tables to match the current dress code :rolleyes:.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I don't care for the tablecloths one way or the other. First, want to say that I am a very frugal man. I do not do "fine dining" often and by no means a restaurant snob. Give me my family and a few burgers on the grill and I am happy. That said, I have eaten at several high end establishments and some do not have tablecloths. A piece of fabric on the table does not make the meal.

I will wear whatever is asked. I look at it like this, you can put a suit on Larry Flynt and he will still be Larry Flynt. Just like you could put Sean Connery in a Toga and he would still be a Gentleman.

Here's something I've observed about this debate: I have read a lot of reviews about the various Carnival Steakhouses. Not once over the years have I read that one single person was aghast that there weren't tablecloths. Not once.

Funny, isn't it?

I have only been to one steakhouse - Nick & Nora's on the Miracle. 20130116-194752.jpg

There were tablecloths. The atmosphere was the best thing about the dining experience. I didn't find the quality of the food especially high.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

I have only been to one steakhouse - Nick & Nora's on the Miracle. 20130116-194752.jpg

There were tablecloths. The atmosphere was the best thing about the dining experience. I didn't find the quality of the food especially high.

See, this is what I am talking about. This atmosphere doesn't scream elegant. But then again, when your other option is a dining room decorated with over sized illuminated round after dinner colored candy mints, then yes...I guess the atmosphere is elegant in that steakhouse.

I would even argue that the tablecloths look awkward and even clash in the main dining room in the picture below. I think wood topped tables would almost be an improvement. Then again, a cow carcass hanging from the ceiling would be an improvement.

7303653598_40a8c04993_z.jpg

Edited by Tutankhamen

See, this is what I am talking about. This atmosphere doesn't scream elegant. But then again, when your other option is a dining room decorated with over sized illuminated round after dinner colored candy mints, then yes...I guess the atmosphere is elegant in that steakhouse

I'm no fan of the steakhouse - won't do it again as it seemed a waste of money.

My point was that (at least in some of the steakhouses) there are tablecloths & have been. In response to the point that no one cares about the absence of tablecloths in the steakhouse. That is all. :)

NYC, Masa....2012 Michelin star Restaurant. Average tab, $1,269

Masa-Japanese-Restaurant.jpg

Your not comparing the food at MASA to the Carnival MDR? When you reach a level of food excellence like that at MASA you can serve the meal on orange crates and no one would notice. Carnival is not in the same league and must do everything they can to maximize the customer's experience.

Your not comparing the food at MASA to the Carnival MDR? When you reach a level of food excellence like that at MASA you can serve the meal on orange crates and no one would notice. Carnival is not in the same league and must do everything they can to maximize the customer's experience.

Masa may be a step above Carnival, but Carnival is nipping at their heals. You didn't hear about the Green Eggs and Ham, Sam I Am??

PAY ATTENTION....the table cloth will still be there for elegant night. How do you people keep missing this?

Didn't miss it - haven't seen it!

So does that mean we can dress any way we want to on the other nights? I'll bring my 67-year-old, 275lb body to dinner in a tank-top and speedo!

Didn't miss it - haven't seen it!

So does that mean we can dress any way we want to on the other nights? I'll bring my 67-year-old, 275lb body to dinner in a tank-top and speedo!

Not any night, just Caribbean night. Lets hope they don't have French night.