Tell me about meal time, experienced HAL cruisers

Plantcrone

Due to digestive surgery 15 years ago, I can't/don't eat much at meals..I eat about 6 very small meals a day. I also have food allergies that I've told HAL about..nothing unusual but it makes getting sufficient nutritious calories difficult sometimes. Obviously I don't go to buffets often because of the no doggie bag philosophy, but at regular restaurants I frequently take half my meal home for next days lunch or only order appetizers.

Reading about the buffets I'm wondering how I'm going to work getting sufficient nutrition. Cruise Critic has a new "List of Rules" concerning the buffets and most of them I understand, but I can't take a munchie back to my cabin for later? A banana and half a sandwich, a fresh tomato during veggie season or some such is pretty common for me to have as an in-between meals meal.

I'm really thin as it is and can't afford to lose weight..I can see it now..!!!Elle-the only woman to lose weight on a cruise!!! but I do have to make sure I get sufficient calories in each day. I don't eat a lot of junk food..not a pizza or hamburger and fries, person..I'm lactose intolerant so no ice cream besides it's not nutritious calories…. so the quickie stands by the pool aren't going to work.

Should I tell the matre'd I intend to take a plate back to my cabin after dinner to have before bedtime? Would they make one up and cover it with plastic wrap for me? I've had that before when I was in a nursing home recovering from a hip fracture? Should I take a case of Ensure (which I hate and is full of chemicals?) or can they make protein shakes for me if I bring the protein packets?

This is a serious question..Whats the appropriate procedure for someone like me?

Cruise Critic has a new rule about buffets? Not sure what you are referring to.

You cabin will have a fruit bowl in it. If you talk to your cabin steward, they will make extra effort to make sure it is stocked with what you like.

There is no issue with taking food back to your cabin from the Lido. Yes, you could work with the Maitre 'd, and/or you could grab something from the Lido after dinner if you wish.

Room service on HAL is 24/7 and is excellent. Another solution for you.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I would call ships services (800) 541-1576) Discuss with them your needs...as they are medical they will do what they can to help you. The Cruise Critic rules you mention -- ignore them.. Many people go to the Lido, get fruit, a sandwich and take them back to their cabins and/or balconies, if they have them to eat. HALs room service menu is also extensive and available 24 hours a day. I believe you will find adequate means to maintain your weight, and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by momatibm

I'm sure there will be others here who will have some great ideas, but what comes to mind is that you can order from the room service menu 24 hours a day. I think there is a turkey sandwich (or maybe it's a club?) and I know there is fruit. I think you can ask that your steward keep fresh fruit in your cabin.

You could also make an extra plate at the buffet of non-perishable food items to keep for a later snack. Lots of people do that.

It would seem that a cruise would probably be one of the best kinds of vacation for your situation. Hope you have a great time!

We often take items from the buffet at lunch time to take back to our cabin to have as a snack in the afternoon or with cocktails out on our verandah.

I see that you are on the Nieuw Amsterdam. ALL cabins on that ship have a mini cooler in them which you can put items in there to keep cool.

I wouldn't worry about taking Ensure with you -- you will find plenty of nutritious food. I forgot you are lactose intolerant. Maybe you should take a couple of cans of Ensure with you just to be on the safe side. Like for a day you get back to the ship late in the afternoon and the buffet is closed.

This is the current cabin room service menu -- there should be a copy of it your cabin inside what appears to be an open book with all kinds of ship information -- sitting usually on the cabin desk:

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

While we are not permitted to bring food off the ship, we can bring food aboard either at embarkation or in ports. If you see something you wish to eat later while you are ashore, bring it back with you to eat when you wish.

If you have lunch in port and only eat half your sandwich, ask them to wrap the left over like you say you do at home. :)

Edited by sail7seas

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1514&et_cid=1138338&et_rid=96586027

The article is sort of a common sense list of being polite at buffets and was informative for me..but CC calls it RULES so I was under the impression it was exactly that.

New cruisers like me really don't have a clue as to how cruises work. I've spend several months reading the boards here and usually end up even more confused.!!

Thanks for the info about 24 hour service. And for the info about a fruit bowl. I really was concerned that I'd have to try and stuff myself at meals, then get sick and stay in bed for a couple of days.

This is the current cabin room service menu -- there should be a copy of it your cabin inside what appears to be an open book with all kinds of ship information -- sitting usually on the cabin desk:

[/b][/size][/font]

Thank you so much for this list..it's very helpful

Quite often I will go to the Lido and just grab what we want - sandwiches, cheese, crackers and bring it back to the room - no problem. So, if you need a lot of small meals you can either bring some back or make another trip and pick up more stuff before they close :)

No one will criticize you for taking something from the Lido - it is no problem at all. I don't think you have anything to worry about :D

You can also talk to your dining room manager about maybe getting some of your dinner to take back to your room. I have seen it done a couple of times and while not regularly, I don't see why not since you have a medical issue. Believe me, you won't go hungry.

Susan

Those "rules" are a bit crazy.

If someone is taking a long time in the line and there is a gap (and nothing I want right next to that person) I will pass them and continue down the line.

We take snack foods back to the room to eat later on occasion. There is also nothing wrong with taking an entire meal back to your room. As long as you're going to eat it all then there is no harm in taking extra for later (just don't take everything they have out).

I'm anxious to hear about these rules? The only "rule" I know of is not taking food off in port. That is not a cc rule. Could the OP please let us know what that means?

I also got a CC "flyer" email today about rules for the buffet, and it did say "no doggie bags" - I will just ignore it.

I wondered about the whys of some of these suggestions. For example, when I was in the nursing home I used a walker. I get the impression that walkers and wheelchairs aren't all that rare on HAL cruises as there are rules about leaving them in the hallways etc. So when using a walker or a cane someone is usually much slower than others no so disabled. What is wrong with going around this person, especially if you're not interested in the food they are stopped at.

I'm also a bit confused about the MDR-Main Dining Room? Is that a buffet or is it like a restaurant? We have early seating..daughters decision..but I couldn't tell if that means we are served our meals or if it's a buffet line.

There is so much to learn about cruising! I'm getting really excited about going-tanning every 3 days so I don't burn aboard ship.

So much to look forward to

I wondered about the whys of some of these suggestions. For example, when I was in the nursing home I used a walker. I get the impression that walkers and wheelchairs aren't all that rare on HAL cruises as there are rules about leaving them in the hallways etc. So when using a walker or a cane someone is usually much slower than others no so disabled. What is wrong with going around this person, especially if you're not interested in the food they are stopped at.

I'm also a bit confused about the MDR-Main Dining Room? Is that a buffet or is it like a restaurant? We have early seating..daughters decision..but I couldn't tell if that means we are served our meals or if it's a buffet line.

There is so much to learn about cruising! I'm getting really excited about going-tanning every 3 days so I don't burn aboard ship.

The Main Dining Room is a sit-down table service. With fixed seating (as you have) you will sit at the same table with the same servers every night at the same time.

The buffet is the Lido Restaurant. Typically the buffet is set up in stations, not one long line that goes through all the available offerings. Once you've gotten your plate at the first station you've gone to, you can go to a different one. Now, when you get there, there may be a line for that station, so you can wind up standing in, technically, more than one line for the buffet. Other stations won't have a line, you just go up and get what you want.

If you answered the form on dietary needs when you booked, the MDR staff will have that information and will help you with your meal selection. Your waiter will do his best to accommodate you. For example, being lactose intolerant you can substitute sorbet for the ice cream listed as being part of a dessert (that's what I do). Since you can't eat much at a sitting, go ahead and order what sounds good and only eat what you can. My husband had a gastric bypass 5 years ago and has kept the weight off. In restaurants we often share a meal or take most of it home, but on a ship you don't have to do that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi Elle, aka Plantcrone (love that handle btw :) )

I'm so excited for you! I think some of those rules were made due to some of the horrid experiences some of us have had in the Lido buffet area of the bigger mega ships. The Lida buffet on those ships can get pretty crowded and some people forget their manners. Case in point, I will never sail Carnival Glory again!

However, you should not have any problems on your cruise and those "Rules" apply to the type of person that hogs the chairs by the pool or almost knocks you over to grab whatever they've just replenished on the buffet like they haven't eaten in weeks, I'm sure neither of those are you. It's usually unsupervised children/teenagers I have experienced doing the later.

I'd bring some plastic baggies like someone suggested to take snacks back to your cabin. I always venture up the the Lido buffet and grab snacks, a small plate, or whatever throughout the day and enjoy it either in my room, the promenade, or other venues on the ship. They don't mind as long as you don't just leave you plates, cups, etc. just anywhere. I typically return mine to the buffet and save it and place it on the room service tray to get picked up and taken back to the galley. Usually someone comes around and ask to take the plate before you even have to figure out with to do with it -- the service on a cruise is typically that good, you will come home spoiled! You can bring snacks on board like others have suggested, including soy/almond beverages. You can also call and order items from the dinning room menu (not buffet) through room service in addition to the room service menu.

We sail on the 16th, 3 days before you. It's my 8th or 9th cruise and I'm just as excited as if it were the first! Enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by rain_bowbrite