Thinking about Jumping Ship

Cutbacks aside, I started to move away from Carnival because they really weren't doing anything new.

There are only so many different itineraries and ports, so once you've done them all (over and over) you start to look for other reasons to continue cruising. Instead of innovating (and I'm not talking about a burger bar, I'm referring to something not related to food), Carnival takes things away.

That being said, they fill a role. Their prices made it affordable for me to cruise back in my early/mid 20's, and got me hooked on it.

Sherrie, You will love RC. There is an elegance about the cruise line that just isn't there with Carnival anymore. We sailed Brilliance several years ago and love that class ship. Someone posted that this class is similar to Spirit class. I agree, but find Radiance class superior.

If you like the shows you will appreciate RC. So, far we have not found cut-backs in that area.

Enjoy!

We've done several cruises on Royal Caribbean, Princess, and one each on Celebrity and Carnival. I'd have to say that, although we certainly had fun on our Carnival cruise and had great service, the ship itself was just not as nice as the other lines - even a bit shabby in some areas. To us, Royal Caribbean has been where we have had the most fun, and the ships themselves were something to look forward to - as well as the service, the food, the entertainment, etc. Each line has strengths and weaknesses. It's just a matter of finding what matches one's tastes. We really enjoyed our cruises on RC, Princess, and Celebrity, all for different reasons, and will probably alternate between those 3 in the future, based on price and itinerary. We enjoy the variety of switching lines too. Looking forward to our upcoming Feb cruise on Navigator OTS.

As you can see by my history, I've done both and my cruise in Feb 2014 is on Royal. I wanted a different itinerary and just a change of pace for my boyfriend. The thing that gets me is I paid the same price for an inside room as I did on my last carnival cruise for a balcony. ouch.

I can only guess its the extra bells and whistles on the ship. Its stuff I don't use so I will probably go back to Carnival again until I feel the need for another change. :)

No tablecloths? Seriously?

To be fair, I'm all about pointing out weirdos that have mysterious little issues that ruin their entire cruise, but the OP clearly found this to be the last straw. Several other posters have made great comments on that, so I won't.

If someone says something insanely dramatic about something trivial, you pretty much mentally dismiss them (valid or not) as someone with an opinion doesn't matter.

Subject line: Worst cruise ever! HATE HATE HATE DIE DIE DIE

Review: We didn't have balloons at the sailaway party and this was horrible. I hate Cruise Line A and will never sail them again. They owe me 10 free cruises or I'll never cruise with them again! They are so stupid and wrong. This is the evil empire of cruising! Balloons complete me!

Subject line: Switching from Cruise Line A

Review: We have not been happy with many cutbacks on Cruise Line A, the straw that broke the camel's back was the balloons our kids love at the sailaway party are gone. It's a little thing, but it's the last straw in a long line of things. We're going to open our minds up to Cruise Lines B and E now and maybe check out Cruise Line Z as well. What do you know...

Edited by poncho1973

Thanks' date=' I must say that I am thrilled with all the positive comments I am hearing about this ship. It makes the decision to leave Carnival so much easier when I hear such great comments...[/quote']I am in a similar situation as you with regards to the cutbacks and as you can see from my profile, I have cruised on Carnival 17 times over the past 27 years. I look for value when I choose to cruise and recently the promotions that Celebrity has offered opened my eyes to what real value is in my opinion. With regards to RCI, we had a great time on the Explorer last year and we're looking forward to the back end of our first B2B next year on the Indy, although it'll be right after we get off of the Silhouette and my have too many spring break kids on board for my liking.

Remember to take everything with a grain of salt, have an open mind and enjoy your cruise. It's nice to take the blinders off and see what else is available, even though many loyal Royals on here only see through RCI colored lenses.

I am in a similar situation as you with regards to the cutbacks and as you can see from my profile, I have cruised on Carnival 17 times over the past 27 years. I look for value when I choose to cruise and recently the promotions that Celebrity has offered opened my eyes to what real value is in my opinion. With regards to RCI, we had a great time on the Explorer last year and we're looking forward to the back end of our first B2B next year on the Indy, although it'll be right after we get off of the Silhouette and my have too many spring break kids on board for my liking.

Remember to take everything with a grain of salt, have an open mind and enjoy your cruise. It's nice to take the blinders off and see what else is available, even though many loyal Royals on here only see through RCI colored lenses.

You can't just offer your opinion, which was very well stated and made some good points, without knocking other people at the end?

Thanks' date=' I must say that I am thrilled with all the positive comments I am hearing about this ship. It makes the decision to leave Carnival so much easier when I hear such great comments...[/quote']

At one time I only cruised with Carnival. 16 straight cruises with them. In 2004 we started to see the product sliding south and decided to try RCI. Have not been back to a Carnival and at this time they have shown nothing of interest to get me to try them again. Ships are night and different. Better designs and less crowded on RCI. A much better past guest program on RCCL. I found a more consistent product on RCI.

It's good to step out and try other lines from time to time. You never know what's out there until you experience it for yourself. We really like RCI but have also found that we enjoy Celebrity. The good thing about RCCL is allowing cross benefits for their past guests which is something Carnival Corp. does not offer.

Edited by cruisingator2

I am in a similar situation as you with regards to the cutbacks and as you can see from my profile, I have cruised on Carnival 17 times over the past 27 years. I look for value when I choose to cruise and recently the promotions that Celebrity has offered opened my eyes to what real value is in my opinion. With regards to RCI, we had a great time on the Explorer last year and we're looking forward to the back end of our first B2B next year on the Indy, although it'll be right after we get off of the Silhouette and my have too many spring break kids on board for my liking.

Many loyal Royals have also cruised other lines and know what they like. When one can back it up with examples it's more than just looking through RCI colored lenses.:rolleyes:

Edited by cruisingator2

OP: Brilliance is a beautiful ship, on the "smaller" side these days for RCI. She is great for cruise with lots of ports, or if you simply want to just relax. We actually prefer Voyager class and above (Freedom being our favorite on RCI) because we like to have a lot to do and we like sea days.:D

I have to ask, since you were exclusive to Carnival . . . did you consider Princess?

While I cannot speak for the OP, the tablecloths are just the latest in a long line of cutbacks Carnival has made in the last few years (live music poolside replaced by dj's, live orchestras replaced by pre-recorded music, dumbed-down menus and on and on) that may have become the breaking point for some.

Carly, the CD on Jewel, just made this point last week after the Jewel House Band brought "down the house" during the farewell show! The live entertainment is a treat!

But OP, in general, most of the cruise lines are getting "more casual", so no one can promise you that experience on another mass market cruise ship. I haven't cruised Carnival myself, but I haven't met a person on a Royal ship who has that wasn't very pleased with their cruise on Royal. Good luck with whatever you decide!!:D

OP: Brilliance is a beautiful ship, on the "smaller" side these days for RCI. She is great for cruise with lots of ports, or if you simply want to just relax. We actually prefer Voyager class and above (Freedom being our favorite on RCI) because we like to have a lot to do and we like sea days.:D

I have to ask, since you were exclusive to Carnival . . . did you consider Princess?

We did look at several different options, but we simply prefer to cruise out of Tampa or Pt. Canaveral...We also like a smaller ship, so this seemed to be one of the best options for us at the moment. Thank you so much for the information.

We just got off Brilliance on Thursday. She is a beautiful ship with great views everywhere. There were plenty of scheduled activities, shows and more than enough to do during unscheduled down time.

And, best of all, there were tablecloths in the MDR. :D

Seriously though, of the 4 RCI ships I've been on so far (Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Jewel), I think she has just replaced Explorer as my favorite.

We're going on her again in March with the kids and my mother in law.

You can't just offer your opinion, which was very well stated and made some good points, without knocking other people at the end?
There are many people that spread their cruising on different lines and then there is a contingent of people that are 100% loyal to Royal, have never cruised on Carnival and rip Carnival to shreds on this board. It's one thing to be upset with a cruise line because of cutbacks that matter to you and make a switch, it's another to belittle something when you have not had first hand knowledge cruising on that particular line.

We just got off Brilliance on Thursday. She is a beautiful ship with great views everywhere. There were plenty of scheduled activities, shows and more than enough to do during unscheduled down time.

And, best of all, there were tablecloths in the MDR. :D

Seriously though, of the 4 RCI ships I've been on so far (Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Jewel), I think she has just replaced Explorer as my favorite.

We're going on her again in March with the kids and my mother in law.

Well you just made my day....Thank you!!! :)

We sail both Carnival and RCI (as well as other lines) for different reasons.

Love both lines and will continue to sail them with or without table cloth.

Having been on the Brilliance on a cruise to the Norwegian fjords I can tell you that you can be certain of a wonderful experience on a very elegant ship.

Great service, beautiful ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Op, good choice. You're going to love the Brilliance. RCI's Radiance Class ships are gorgeous. Other than the beautiful ship, not decorated in purples, golds and pinks, you'll love all the live entertainment.

Ref the loss of table clothes on CCL, the only way I can see that is a cheapening of the dining experience. They can use any euphemism they want to explain it, but the bottom line is, it's cheap.

Op, good choice. You're going to love the Brilliance. RCI's Radiance Class ships are gorgeous. Other than the beautiful ship, not decorated in purples, golds and pinks, you'll love all the live entertainment.

Ref the loss of table clothes on CCL, the only way I can see that is a cheapening of the dining experience. They can use any euphemism they want to explain it, but the bottom line is, it's cheap.

I read their press release and that is what I got out of it.

I also am sad about the cutbacks but I like being able to cruise more due to cheaper prices and will continue on both Carnival and Royal.... Even when we are eating our escargot on picnic tables with paper napkins. But, I guess that's just me.

I also am sad about the cutbacks but I like being able to cruise more due to cheaper prices and will continue on both Carnival and Royal.... Even when we are eating our escargot on picnic tables with paper napkins. But, I guess that's just me.

I don't think so....my understanding is that escargot has been cut from the new menus! So far I have heard nothing bad about the "Brilliance of The Seas", so we are really looking forward to a bit of a change.

Should Carnival decide to bring back some of the the we miss....we would be first in line to sail with them again.

Sherri - Nice to see you - I hope that you enjoy RCI as much as we do, although we have never been on Brilliance.

Tomorrow a poster named Trainman-2 will be on the ship and he will be doing his usual live from ... You would also get a lot of information from him. Jan

PS - We have been on the Radiance twice and it remains one of our favorites!

Edited by Jan_In_Maine