Table Clothes in the main dining room

Krazy Kruizers

I'm sure they do!

That's what we got! I have lots of table cloths for our big dining room table, but we're going to have a house full on Christmas so we need to use some card tables too. I do love that store!!

LOL. I have the card table size also. Several years in a row I had Christmas parties and set up 4 card tables in addition to the breakfast room and dining room tables. Bought the gorgeous dark red Origin tablecloths for all the different size tables (BB&B in stock in all sizes!) with the matching white napkins. It looked great, wasn't super expensive to do, everyone could sit down to eat, and the tablecloths still look like new. I'll use them again this year with my whole family coming for Christmas. I have the ivory, gold, and black for the breakfast room table to use the rest of the year. You are really going to enjoy them.

I would certainly not like having to bring my own table cloth....I use them at home and would expect HAL to have them on the MDR table....If I want to go cheap...I can always go Carnival....NOT......

Bob

We would be very disappointed for HAL to not do the lovely table setting they way they now do them. I wouldn't even want them to remove the fresh flowers let alone tablecloths. The appearance of the MDR is very important to us.

Not having flowers on the dining table 6 nights of our 14 night cruise Christmas last year, was bad enough, no tablecloths would be very disappointing.

Edited by erewhon

I would certainly not like having to bring my own table cloth....I use them at home and would expect HAL to have them on the MDR table....If I want to go cheap...I can always go Carnival....NOT......

Bob

Ditto :)

As to Carnival ... been there, done that, not doing it again. We were rendered almost speechless when the diners would crowd up to the doors of the dining room and CHEER when the doors opened. There were guys in the dining room on formal night in jeans and t-shirts and women in capris and tees. It's a totally different atmosphere.:o

We like cruising HAL for the atmosphere including a nice dining experience at dinner.:)

My growing up years, we always had table cloth and cloth napkins at the dinner table every night. Those were the days when families actually had dinner together most nights. Schedules weren't as frenetic and the family always gathered at dinner time.

That's the way I grew up as well. Sit down dinner in the dining room with table cloth on the table and real cloth napkins -- no paper ones.

No table cloths would mean HAL would need to purchase new tables. Last Sunday as the Eurodam transitioned from our cruise to dry dock we got a glimpse of the tables they use in the MDR. Trust me, they are not ready for prime time.

A lot of posters have said "when I was young" or "when I was growing up". How about when your children were growing up. Did you set an example for them? I know I tried to for mine. I am just curious as to where this "uncaring, sloppy generation" came from. They had to have learned it somewhere.

No table cloths would mean HAL would need to purchase new tables. Last Sunday as the Eurodam transitioned from our cruise to dry dock we got a glimpse of the tables they use in the MDR. Trust me, they are not ready for prime time.

Oh My -- that doesn't sound good.

I have never had the opportunity to the tables uncovered.

The tabletops aren't much more than plywood.

A lot of posters have said "when I was young" or "when I was growing up". How about when your children were growing up. Did you set an example for them? I know I tried to for mine. I am just curious as to where this "uncaring, sloppy generation" came from. They had to have learned it somewhere.

I wonder that too. I'll admit to using paper napkins, but it was always at a nicely set table with a fresh clean tablecloth. The entire family knew to show up at the exact same time for dinner every night, and no one left the table without asking to be excused. Not a one of my three kids carried this tradition on with their own families. I'll never figure that out.

I did. We had Sunday dinner in the dining room with the good china, all the cutlery, and cloth napkins. They love that. The kitchen table had placemats or table cloths at all times. Now, with DH and myself, not so much. Although the day-to-day Christmas table cloth will likely be added this week to the kitchen. :D

I wonder that too. I'll admit to using paper napkins, but it was always at a nicely set table with a fresh clean tablecloth. The entire family knew to show up at the exact same time for dinner every night, and no one left the table without asking to be excused. Not a one of my three kids carried this tradition on with their own families. I'll never figure that out.

I think a few things happened:

Many more women went to work outside the home and there are only 24 hours in a day. If Mom was in the office, she couldn't be ironing the tablecloths.

The kids became involved in so many activities and it became so competitive for Johnnie and Mary to be in dance class, little league, socceer and what have you. All those lessons and practice schedules and Mom's becoming chauffeurs. The whole family lived on different schedules and weren't all available at the same time for dinner together.

Lives became so much busier and sadly, add to it so many broken families with everyone doing their best to manage and survive.

No one to blame IMO I know my reasoning is simplistic but I think it is a small piece of how our society of today has evolved..... a different lifestyle developed

Bob

Oh, come on! Get over yourself or at least get your facts straight before embarking on Carnival-bashing with this silly I-am-better-than-them attitude.

For the majority of comparable itineraries, Carnival is not cheaper than HAL and in some cases even more expensive. Every time I cruise HAL, I am astonished at the foolish arrogance of some of the passengers who assign themselves to a higher class of society, based on nothing, nothing at all!

So much energy seems to be spent by HALers on comparing themselves to Carnival! At the same time, on Carnival (or Princess), people seem to be busy enjoying their vacations and not give a 'dam' about what the stuck-up conservatives on HAL are thinking or doing.

I wonder how many CC Posters have a real table cloth (not plastic) on their table when they eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner at home?
We don't even own a plastic table cloth. :rolleyes: I know my siblings don't and I'd be surprised if any of our friends do either. Given the distain you've clearly expressed over the years for Americans, I'm not surprised that you would believe we all use plastic tablecloths. Edited by Mary Ellen

In fairness to some of the younger generation ....They may have been brought up where both parents worked full time jobs (like mine) where both parents works crazy hours or even two jobs (like mine) and many many others . DW and I never had 9-5 hours.

This last generation of kids also have so much more on them too after school, sports, music lessons, etc, they get like 3 hours homework a night ,the older ones have jobs. there is no more come home , play outside til mom yells "Dinner"

it is tough to get everyone to the table at the same time with 3 or 4 or more conflicting schedules.

Growing up my mom was home all day long, like almost all the mothers I knew back then. the house was immaculate at all times . To this day walk in my Mom's house you can smell the cleaner. *LOL*

people working 12 hours a day , plus taking care of young kids, plus the shopping, cooking, housecleaning, aren't worrying about cloth tablecloths and linen napkins and what for goes with what course.

When all 4 of my kids were home. Dinner was catch as catch can. When one or two of us were just getting home, one or two was headed out for work or a night class.

Some nights we will throw something in the crockpot and it cooks all day and you eat when you get home . Now that the 2 still home are older and working, they will just grab something out or will make something for themselves when they get home.

It is not always a matter of what the parents taught the kids, it is what was feasible with such busy schedules

I think a few things happened:

Many more women went to work outside the home and there are only 24 hours in a day. If Mom was in the office, she couldn't be ironing the tablecloths.

The kids became involved in so many activities and it became so competitive for Johnnie and Mary to be in dance class, little league, socceer and what have you. All those lessons and practice schedules and Mom's becoming chauffeurs. The whole family lived on different schedules and weren't all available at the same time for dinner together.

Lives became so much busier and sadly, add to it so many broken families with everyone doing their best to manage and survive.

No one to blame IMO I know my reasoning is simplistic but I think it is a small piece of how our society of today has evolved..... a different lifestyle developed

How did I miss your post before I started typing *LOL* I could have saved myself some time.

You said it perfectly.

Some one here made a wise crack about plastic table cloths. Well, I'll be using one. Next Saturday...when my 6 year granddaughter comes over to decorate Christmas cookies. They do have a place in life :p Table cloth goes back on after the mess is cleaned up. Don't knock it until you try it ;)

Why is it necessary to make blanket statements like this that clearly aren't true? :mad: Obviously there are young people who know and care about good furniture. Just as there are older people who don't.

I assume I'm about a generation younger than you and I have always enjoyed having several pieces of furniture from my parents, grandparents and other assorted relatives. It's hard to find furniture made as well as it used to be, but not impossible. My dining room chairs are antique, but the table is a lovely modern reproduction (with pads ;)) that mixes well with the antiques.

I have several friends who are the same way -- they have nice furniture, a mix of old and new. Many of them got married later (30s) and have money to buy nice things. We certainly care about and want to preserve them. Why wouldn't we?

Absolutely. My daughter and my dils lay beautiful tables and take pride in doing so.

There's now another -- New, started today -- tablecloth thread on the Carnival board. "Maybe tablecloths will be back...."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956299

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

In addition to the above there's another new one from someone just off Carnival Glory. Seems sweat from the glasses left puddles of water all over the table.

"Carnival Glory New Dining :( "

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1956362

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

In fairness to some of the younger generation ....They may have been brought up where both parents worked full time jobs (like mine) where both parents works crazy hours or even two jobs (like mine) and many many others . DW and I never had 9-5 hours.

This last generation of kids also have so much more on them too after school, sports, music lessons, etc, they get like 3 hours homework a night ,the older ones have jobs. there is no more come home , play outside til mom yells "Dinner"

it is tough to get everyone to the table at the same time with 3 or 4 or more conflicting schedules.

Growing up my mom was home all day long, like almost all the mothers I knew back then. the house was immaculate at all times . To this day walk in my Mom's house you can smell the cleaner. *LOL*

people working 12 hours a day , plus taking care of young kids, plus the shopping, cooking, housecleaning, aren't worrying about cloth tablecloths and linen napkins and what for goes with what course.

When all 4 of my kids were home. Dinner was catch as catch can. When one or two of us were just getting home, one or two was headed out for work or a night class.

Some nights we will throw something in the crockpot and it cooks all day and you eat when you get home . Now that the 2 still home are older and working, they will just grab something out or will make something for themselves when they get home.

It is not always a matter of what the parents taught the kids, it is what was feasible with such busy schedules

Absolutely! That is what I was getting at. The past couple of generations grew up in a different time. A younger generation is always the product of an older generation. We only know to what we have been exposed. The "when I was growing" crowd created this generation.IMHO (This new generation, in general, is a much more compassionate, accepting of others generation.) Some were lucky enough to get tablecloths at meals, others weren't.

Don't blame them for their indifference to what some think is the difference between having manners and not having them.

Edited by Pearlbill