Does Cruise also allow carry on luggage

vibration

You can carry as many as you are physically able to carry --- but why? You might have a couple of hours after you board before you can get into your cabin; you do not want to be toting everything with you. What would be wrong with letting the porters take one or more and have them delivered to your cabin. Of course, when you leave the ship, you might want to get off fast, so taking it all with you then might make sense.

Our first cruise, Dec 22 on Carnival Freedom. We may just have carry on luggages. Can we just carry them with us or I need to put tag on and leave at check in? Thanks.

The ONLY thing to think about is You are allowed 1 Litre bottle of wine per person in your carry on not in your checked luggage or they'll confiscate it. You ALSO are allowed 1 12 pack of soda per person. I wouldn't bring bottled water as the water on the ship is fine. Just bring a good insulated empty 32 oz water bottle and refill it onboard. There is no use carrying around all those suitcases, just one is fine> ken

Thanks for your fast replies. :) Since our flight will arrive at Lauderdale airport around 1pm, we are not sure if we have time to wait for the checked luggage.

```````````````````````````````````````````

What am I missing here? You'll have to wait for any luggage you checked on your flight. :confused:

LuLu

Like others say you can carry on the luggage. Typically it is the size luggage that you could get through security at the airport.

I would not plan to arrive at 1:00 PM. You must be on the ship at least 90 minutes prior to boarding time and when you fly in the day of the cruise you introduce a lot of risk that a flight delay or worse cancellation could mean you miss the ship.

I would fly in the day before or very wary that morning but if it was me it would be the day before.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I am being serious here -- how can you live out of a carry-on? I couldn't.

You are taking a risk flying in the same day -- especially since your flight doesn't get in until 1 PM. What if your flight is delayed? What are your back-up plans?

Living out of a carry on is quite easy, with a little planning. I've done it, and plan on doing it again when I go to Tahiti next year.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

OK Everyone, the OP does not have time to change flights they are leaving in 6 days.

That being said. If you only have your carry-ons from your flight you should be fine sending them through the scanner at the cruise terminal. Since your flight doesn't get in until 1pm, your cabin will be ready when you check in. Just be sure to stay on task once you land and get yourself in a taxi and over to the port. If you ship sails at 4pm you need to be checked in no later than 2:30pm

Have a great cruise and Happy Holidays. :-)

Living out of a carry on is quite easy, with a little planning. I've done it, and plan on doing it again when I go to Tahiti next year.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Tahiti is easy. Just need bathing suit bottoms and something for dinner and one pair of flip flops.

I wonder if OP is one of those travelers who are counting-challenged - you know, one carry-on and one personal item, not counting the huge back pack, and the second and/or third "personal item".

Sure, it can be done, but going a week with just a carry-on means either wearing the same things day in and day out, not having a second bathing suit, spending what should be valuable vacation time doing laundry, or missing MDR meals. Why bother with a cruise just to prove you can live for a week out of a carry-on?

Tahiti is easy. Just need bathing suit bottoms and something for dinner and one pair of flip flops.

Um, not quite. I also have three days in LA pre-cruise and two days in LA post cruise. During the pre-cruise I'll be spending three sessions studying with a yoga master and my evenings will be out with friends to who knows where--I'll need to plan for everything from a dive bar to a fairly upscale dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant.

I wonder if OP is one of those travelers who are counting-challenged - you know, one carry-on and one personal item, not counting the huge back pack, and the second and/or third "personal item".

Sure, it can be done, but going a week with just a carry-on means either wearing the same things day in and day out, not having a second bathing suit, spending what should be valuable vacation time doing laundry, or missing MDR meals. Why bother with a cruise just to prove you can live for a week out of a carry-on?

Totally incorrect. I can pack for 10 days straight in a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag including two bathing suits and never wear the same outfit twice, and be perfectly well attired for anything that might come my way outside of Antartica or a white tie formal dinner. The key is to choose lightweight fabrics in neutral tones that mix and match, limit shoes, and not take anything that can't be worn with at least two other things and serve more than one purpose.

Keep in mind that some of us who cruise combine cruising with land based trips which utilize mass transit, or simply don't want the hassle of schlepping a ton of luggage around when it isn't needed.

I am being serious here -- how can you live out of a carry-on? I couldn't.

Well, it's Carnival and it's Caribbean. So honestly I could do that if I didn't want to take any of my dress clothing. Shorts and tshirts don't take up a lot of space. 1 change of clothing per day during the summer would fit into a 21" fairly easily for me. I might even be able to get both mine and my husbands in it together. But since I take dresses for dinner and a few cocktail gowns and then we pack his suit it requires more space.

Edited by sherilyn70

Do people really no ware the same cloths without cleaning them more then once and they never ware the same outfit within two week period?

I guess these people never had to drag all the suitcase over the bridges in Venice. Been on 16 day cruise with only 35 lbs each.

I just don't understand it. Most experienced travelers try to pack as little and as light as possible.

Since the OP is arriving day of cruise at 1:00 pm.

I think she is only packing on carry-ons as to avoid the time waiting for checked bags at the airport (get to the ship quicker).

Once at the ship, by that time, you should be able to get to your stateroom, so you can do 1 of 2 things...

1. Continue to "carry-on your bags, right to your stateroom. If your not tired of it!

2. Carry your "need" bag to your stateroom and have the others get delivered.

Easy.

As has been previously stated;

travel with hand luggage, get out of the airport as soon as possible, take a taxi to the cruise terminal, take luggage on board with you.

If your luggage will go through the airlines hand luggage security scanner it will go through the cruise lines.

Because you are boarding so late your room will probably be ready so you can just dump your stuff in there and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

All I can add is - move swiftly through the airport so you miss a big taxi queue -your time is tight.

I would find a 7 day cruise possible with hand luggage and that is including 3 pair of shoes, 3-4 swimsuits, 4 day dresses, and a dress for each night. I would have to cut down on jewelry and lotions & potions though to get everything in :eek:.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch

I would be nervous about flying in the afternoon of the day your cruise departs, even without checked luggage. Is will be especially busy the weekend before Christmas, and weather can always be an issue.

I have traveled on December 22, going from St. Louis (when there were just flurries) to LA, and the airports were both zoos, including travel to and from. Fortunately I was just returning home from grad school, so no rush. But trying to catch a cruise under those circumstances would have stressed me out.

Don't know where the OP is leaving from, but even bad weather at locations other than your departure/destination cities can affect other flights. So many aspects can delay or cancel flights. Better to fly in at least a day ahead, even if that eats up another vacation day.