When does the explore 4 program actually start?

SeaWatch

Our booking on the Nieuw Amsterdam includes the Explore 4 package.

Has it already started on current sailings?

I'm particularly interested to get reports on The Pinnacle Grill reservation status and the availability of quality drinks including wine by the glass.

Thanks!

The explore four deal includes the Signature Alcohol package, correct?

If so, that will give you a choice of exactly three wines. Chardonnay, merlot and cabernet. All Santa Carolina, regular pruce $5.50 per glass. That's it. You'll pay full price (not just the difference) for any other wines.

IMHO, that is the greatest flaw in HAL's alcohol package.

I was told by our PCC that you could pay the difference in price over $7 but I guess we will find out soon.

edit: I went back and read the fine print on this specific package and it does not state that you can't pay the overage. However the standard package you can purchase does state that.

Free Signature Beverage Package is not available on Caribbean and Mexico cruises—or on the land portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys. Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00 or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00 and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges.

Edited by sherilyn70

I'm betting there will be a "rough patch" at the beginning until all of the crews are on the same page as to what is and isn't included. If you asked 5 Hotel Managers today I bet you would get 5 different answers.

I agree -- that are going to be problems when this starts and many different answers by the crew.

It will take time to iron out the flaws.

Not likely to be in wine shops. Try the grocery store and drug store shelves. Maybe trader joes.

I'm not trying to sound like a wine snob. Really! We drink two buck chuck regularly. And the Santa Carolina cab fits into that range of wine. It's certainly drinkable, but for another few bucks, I can get a bottle of something far better.

HAL needs to include a wider choice of wines by the glass to make their alcohol package acceptable, let alone competitive.

HAL should take a page from X's book- two levels of beverage cards. X is offering the standard level card for drinks up to $8 and offers an up-sell to the "premium" package for drinks up to $12 (no limit per day on either). We'd gladly take the up-sell to the premium package and HAL would make something as opposed to just giving us the card on Explore 4

'Some holiday sailings' - are there any leaving soon, only 5 days until Christmas ... I too am very curious about the application of this program.

I have a bad feeling my PG dinner will be booked on the day we tour Rome and I think all we will want to do is maybe order some room service that night.

HAL should take a page from X's book- two levels of beverage cards. X is offering the standard level card for drinks up to $8 and offers an up-sell to the "premium" package for drinks up to $12 (no limit per day on either). We'd gladly take the up-sell to the premium package and HAL would make something as opposed to just giving us the card on Explore 4

Very true. But even the basic package on X offers a decent choice and variety of wines. Not just one cab, one merlot, one chardonnay.

The explore four deal includes the Signature Alcohol package, correct?

If so, that will give you a choice of exactly three wines. Chardonnay, merlot and cabernet. All Santa Carolina, regular pruce $5.50 per glass. That's it. You'll pay full price (not just the difference) for any other wines.

IMHO, that is the greatest flaw in HAL's alcohol package.

The problem is right now - most of the cruises are doing the Caribbean so those people get a beverage card which gives you full access to everything.

for the Signature alcohol package we need to hear from people cruising in Australia, Asia and later, Europe.

Looking forward to their reports.

The Pinnacle is an interesting issue as well :)

Will do Sea, but there should be some reports before my cruise in April (let's hope lol). :)

Still, the more examples the better ..

Kazu, that's a good point, these holiday cruises are not getting the full treatment in terms of daily beverage allowance so it will be those longer cruises where the full results come in.

I tried to find Santa Carolina my local wine shops, but no luck. Guess I'll just have to wait till June to see if I like it!

I purchase 'Santa Carolina' (Chardonnay) 1.5 L bottle here in Ontario, from the LCBO, (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), for $13.95. I think that it is a great (Chilean) wine! :)