Noro----Not Just On Ships

kitty9

There seems to be a certain percentage of the cruising population who feel Noro is confined to cruise ships. I'm here as proof positive, that its not. I contracted a severe case and have been fighting it for nearly a week. It's a terrible virus. My doctor told me I was his 7th case that day alone. So, one can get Noro anytime or any place. But I wouldn't wish this on an enemy. The only positive? I lost nearly 20lbs.

I am surprised that people think this illness is found only on ships. We have had it only once and got it in a hotel where seminars were being held. Unfortunately DH was one of the speakers. Yes, I agree it is terrible and very contagious.

I hope you get well soon Kitty and that you are pleased about the 20# loss. Terrible way to do it though

Edited by YVR cruiser

Schools don't need to report it either. Nor do we have a cleaning crew to come through and bleach the school. Needless to say, I have seen elementary schools with 750+ kids have it run rampant through them, while staying open even with half the staff out.

My advice? Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands (and keep your fingers crossed)!

There seems to be a certain percentage of the cruising population who feel Noro is confined to cruise ships. I'm here as proof positive, that its not. I contracted a severe case and have been fighting it for nearly a week. It's a terrible virus. My doctor told me I was his 7th case that day alone. So, one can get Noro anytime or any place. But I wouldn't wish this on an enemy. The only positive? I lost nearly 20lbs.

feel better soon. I remember when we met on Solstice in 2010...you were kind enough to show me your aft sky suite as we were in a regular sky suite.

Take care and happy cruising.

Take care. Nasty virus and spreads quickly although cruise lines get the most publicity I have seen it go thru a college campus in one weekend. DH and I were on the Crown Princess 2yrs ago when they turned the ship around and came home early because of the wide spread virus. To help in your recovery.... Rest, fluids when you can and feel better soon.

As mentioned, Noro can be anywhere and everywhere, especially when people practice bad hygiene. We had it go through our work once and every other person (1 in 2) was sick at one time or another with it.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Take care. Nasty virus and spreads quickly although cruise lines get the most publicity I have seen it go thru a college campus in one weekend. DH and I were on the Crown Princess 2yrs ago when they turned the ship around and came home early because of the wide spread virus. To help in your recovery.... Rest, fluids when you can and feel better soon.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

We were on a HAL cruise once when it was so bad CDC boarded the ship and we returned to Tampa a day early with no port stops the last part of a 14 night cruise. No ports would allow us to disembark.

On that one, many of the crew and staff already had it when we boarded.

People always want to blame it on the passengers bringing it on ... but sometimes that's not the whole story.

LuLu

~~~~

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

We were on a HAL cruise once when it was so bad CDC boarded the ship and we returned to Tampa a day early with no port stops the last part of a 14 night cruise. No ports would allow us to disembark.

On that one, many of the crew and staff already had it when we boarded.

People always want to blame it on the passengers bringing it on ... but sometimes that's not the whole story.

LuLu

~~~~

Once on board it can be very difficult to irradicate.:D

There was a youth football tournament in Las Vegas over Vetrans day weekend that had it run through. Made the news here as over 100 attending the tournament ended up at the emergency department of one of the hospitals, and they first thought it might have been food related from one of the banquets... It wasnt pretty.

Yes, this can strike anywhere.

The reason that more people associate it with ships is because at a certain threshold they must report it and a lower levels it often is discussed on forums such as Cruise Critic.

Keith

Incidents always appear more common if the have regulatory reporting. I know with Neighbourhood watch, the crime stats are always much higher at the beginning as everything gets reported as before they were not reported at all.:D