umbrellas on Alaska cruises?

petlover

It's a long ways off but while it's on my mind as a first time Princess cruiser....does Princess provide umbrellas on their Alaska cruises? I've gotten spoiled not traveling with own umbrella when we cruise.

No but we got a free one from Diamonds International at one of the ports....just ask:D

Most of the time, umbrellas are of no value- due to wind- pack a rain coat with a great hood- spray your raincoat with water repellant (should be able to get it either at your grocery store or sports store)- and you will be ready for anything, and your hands will be free- rlb

I second the idea of the heavy-duty poncho. The ones I purchased for our first Alaska cruise in 2003 came in handy last year when we went back. They held up well. I also recommend waterproof walking shoes. I wear Timberlands, but there are several other good brands.

I've cruised to Alaska 11 times and have never used an umbrella. I also do not take a heavy poncho. What I find easiest is to use my regular light-weight jacket (which has a hood) and take along disposable ponchos from a dollar store. There are usually 2 to a package and are essentially trash bags with sleeves and a hood. They take hardly any room to pack. We take along a few for each of us and then toss them when we return to the ship. Often the rain is off and on and I don't want to wear or carry heavy rain gear when the sun comes out.

Another vote for the cheap light weight rain poncho's. I carry two in my camera bag for just in case when we get caught in a surprise rain.

Three times to Alaska an we were rained on two times. So, not a big deal, if you are ready for it.

Bob

Another vote for leaving the umbrella at home. Even ponchos do not keep you very dry if it's pouring and windy - a good jacket with a hood that will cinch up, possibly even rain pants will keep you dry the best.

My first visit to Ketchikan was in a chilly, pouring rain, but it was no problem with decent gear. We felt sorry for the folks fighting to keep the hoods of their ponchos covering their heads, and saw a number of broken umbrellas.

That said - it's not the end of the world if you do get rinsed with the pure, cool water of the NW's rain. When you get back to the ship, find a hot tub and enjoy!

Very true! Although we lucked out and didn't get any rain in Alaska last May, we did encounter a dreary rainy day in Bar Harbor in October. After getting damp and chilled, I got back to the ship an hour before all aboard and enjoyed the hot tub all by myself! It was heaven!

A waterproof hooded windbreaker is, IMO, a necessity on AK cruises. That allows you to layer if needed, avoids the inconvenience of umbrellas (for you and also for your fellow passengers who won't have to fear getting poked in the face with the ribs in crowded settings ashore), and would be easier to manage if the rain stops and you want to take it off and carry it. The cheapo plastic ponchos are very difficult to fold up for reuse.

Buying waterproof footwear is not necessary unless you are planning to go tromping off in the woods. Much better to buy a can of waterproofing spray at Walmart, available in the camping and/or shoe department. Speaking for personal experience, two sprayings of your sneakers with that product will keep your feet dry, unless you step in a very deep puddle!! The spray does not alter the appearance of the shoes, so future wearings of them will not be affected.