Black Tie

shallwe

I'm sure this has been done to death by newbies like me, but can someone clarify the 'black tie' requirements on P & O ships.

It says on the P & O website that on the Black Tie nights, a dinner jacket or tuxedo can be worn. I have both a black dinner jacket etc. and variety of bow ties and a white tuxedo.

Are both of these acceptable on 'Black Tie' night? Or is it black only?

Can you wear different colour bowties (not novelty heaven forbid! :eek:) on 'Black Tie' nights?

Tux, dinner jacket or a suit are all worn on black tie nights. Many men wear different coloured bow ties, some just wear a tie with a normal suit, white jackets tend to be worn on the black and white nights.

Hope that helps.:)

Molly

Tux, dinner jacket or a suit are all worn on black tie nights. Many men wear different coloured bow ties, some just wear a tie with a normal suit, white jackets tend to be worn on the black and white nights.

Hope that helps.:)

Molly

Perfect answer and simply put. My OH has a cream tux jacket and a black suit. He wears them between the formal nights, as the mood takes him.

On all the P&O cruises we've been on by far the majority of men - over 90% - wear black tie. The majority of those wear a black dinner jacket but some do wear a cream dinner jacket - probably more so on a Caribbean cruise. A few men do wear different coloured bow ties - there is no rule about this.

Increasingly we are seeing bow ties in a range of colours on P&O not only on Black and White night where many wear two coloured bow ties but on other nights as well where there seems to be an increasing trend to wear matching cummerbund and bow tie or even coloured waistcoat and a bow tie in the same colour. Sometimes the bow ties match the ladies outfits. This is something you see more on American lines but it is definitely creeping in here.

However the term 'Black Tie', as Denarius explained, just means formal wear. There is also an etiquette about when white / cream dinner jackets should be worn......... although this is largely ignored.:D

"The white dinner jacket's origin on cruises and at tropical resorts is a less formal alternative to traditional black tie. It is only appropriate at formal occasions in the tropics year round and in cooler climates during the Summer season."

I find that it is quite uncomfortable wearing a jacket while dining - so I generally wear a cream tuxedo jacket over a black shirt & black trousers.

This way, if I have to take the jacket off, the black shirt is less noticeable than a white one.