Most Affordable for Family of 6 from Chicago

auntkaty

My husband and I cruised once before and had a blast. Now we are thinking about going and taking our 4 children with us. We are not wealthy, so I am looking for guidance as to the least expensive cruise of 5 - 7 days that would have kids' programs. We would drive to Chicago to fly, so the cost of airfare needs to be figured in. Any suggestions on what we should consider?

far far FAR too broad a question. how old are the kids? do they want to be in the same kid's clubs( some break downs would separate kids as little as 2 years apart) where would you be willing to fly to? how much are you willing to spend on transportation before you even get on board?

where do you want to sail to? what do you want to do while there? are you willing to squish everyone in one Family suite or are you okay with 2 cabins near each other( not necessarily connecting either) do you wan a balcony, or can you settle for insides?

you really need a travel agent to help you narrow down your options.

Like the others have said first find the best time for airfares. and work backwards to find a good date to travel. You definitley need to stay away from peak travel times which MAY necessitate pulling your kids out of a few days of school. ( like they'll mind that!) So Christmas break, Thanksgiving week, Spring Break may be out.

The next thing you have to decide is what type of a cabin you want for the 6 of you. DO NOT do all 6 in a larger cabin as it will play heck on bathroom time. My suggestion would be to book an Outside or balcony cabin for you and your hubby and book an inside cabin DIRECTLY across the hall for the 4 kids. (2 Uppers and 2 lowers) {Initially you will have to place one adult in each cabin when setting up the cabins (per all Cruiselines policy) but just switch when you get to the ship} but you just get duplicate room keys made at guest services and ONLY have you and your spouse allowed charging privleges on your keys. That way you can let the oldest child have access to your room so you then split the bathrooms 3 & 3 . Book Earlysaver with a price guarantee and Definitely use the Cruiseline Personal Vacation Planner to set this up as they will keep you informed about Price drops which would then become onboard credit.

Finally after ALl is said and done go on to the CC Roll Call for your cruise Early and get active on it. Our family is still friends with people from our group that we met on the CCL Triumph in 2003. Let the kids get involved too if there are other families in the roll call. My son had a blast wit one of the other families sons. You didin't say how old your children were, but many ships have youth programs ( Carnivals Camp Carnival for the younger set and Club O2 for teens. So Do your research, talk to a lot of us onhere and HAVE A BLAST! Like you and your DH did.

Ken ( Carnival VIFP Gold member )

I would start be researching some air options: Compare prices and convenience of flights to Fort Lauderdale, Galveston, west coast, Baltimore, etc. FL might have the best range of cruises. Then you can research cruises from that port(s) at one of the online cruise travel agents. That site should be able to give you info about kids programs. That might help narrow it down, then you can certainly ask here for more opinions and information.

Keep in mind that least expensive might not actually be the best value. Often paying a little more can get you a lot more I terms of superior cabins, service, amenities, food, etc.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

The next thing you have to decide is what type of a cabin you want for the 6 of you. DO NOT do all 6 in a larger cabin as it will play heck on bathroom time. My suggestion would be to book an Outside or balcony cabin for you and your hubby and book an inside cabin DIRECTLY across the hall for the 4 kids. (2 Uppers and 2 lowers) {Initially you will have to place one adult in each cabin when setting up the cabins (per all Cruiselines policy) but just switch when you get to the ship} but you just get duplicate room keys made at guest services and ONLY have you and your spouse allowed charging privleges on your keys. That way you can let the oldest child have access to your room so you then split the bathrooms 3 & 3 . Book Earlysaver with a price guarantee and Definitely use the Cruiseline Personal Vacation Planner to set this up as they will keep you informed about Price drops which would then become onboard credit.

Ken ( Carnival VIFP Gold member )

I, too, would suggest getting two rooms but I would choose connecting ones. If your children are say 2,4,6, and 8 there is no way you could have them in a room across the hall on their own.

The information above about "Earlysaver with a price guarantee" is exclusive to Carnival as far as I know. Most cruise lines will adjust the cost if the price drops before final payment but you (or your travel agent) will need to monitor the price. Sometimes, with special promotions, this is not available.

You'll probably get the best deal on NCL, MSC(kids sail free) or Carnival. But possibly RC, HAL, or Princess depending on when and where you are going and your overall wants and needs.

But it's hard to say without knowing you. To some Cunard is an inexpensive cruise for the not wealthy, while for others that is something they can only dream of.

Sorry, we need more details in order to fully help you.

Time frame, location, general budget, and ages of your children would be a good start.

I disagree with the suggestions to speak to a professional. They'll just try to register you for whatever line gives them the best perks. No one on cc has that agenda. You'll get all the advice you need(and tons that you don't) right here ;)

edit:

because I'm a little confused. You say you've cruised once but your post history has replies on Carnival, RC, Princess, NCL, HAL, and Paul Ganguin????

Sounds like you already have a lot of cruising background, why this post?

Are you posting on someone's behalf?

Edited by lrowe70

One more budget question you should ask yourself is "Are you willing/able to pull your kids out of school to take this cruise?". Many of the cheaper times of year to cruise are during the school year. You will pay more to cruise during school vacations.

My husband and I cruised once before and had a blast. Now we are thinking about going and taking our 4 children with us. We are not wealthy, so I am looking for guidance as to the least expensive cruise of 5 - 7 days that would have kids' programs. We would drive to Chicago to fly, so the cost of airfare needs to be figured in. Any suggestions on what we should consider?

Do you have a preference of areas in the Caribbean, Bermuda, Bahamas, Eastern US and Canada or Alaska or is your only concern cost?