Question regarding escalating complaints

elycelynne

Not that I'm planning to board the ship and start complaining, but I was wondering -- In case I ever encounter something that doesn't get taken care of (like no air-conditioning or toilet that doesn't flush) or a situation where I'm getting the runaround from the front desk, what's the official chain of command? I assume that I wouldn't go right to the Hotel Manager or the Guest Relations Manager. Or would I?

Apparently I know nothing about protocol. :o

That's the problem. I see people mentioning that people should escalate their issues up the food chain. I guess everyone that does that must have a pipeline to the top. I would think the front desk would try to keep you from doing that so I'll be anxious to hear how people do that. I've had several issues over the year and most of them did not get resolved. I just had to deal. I'm not as tolerant as I used to be.

We've Always stayed at a Neptune (SA) suite so our first step would be the Congierge there. If they were unable to solve anything (as they usually are, at least, since the last few years), the next step would be the Hotel Manager.

That would always help us and get us a $3 bottle of wine. :rolleyes:

Just give 'm one chance to solve the problem, next step: go to the top.

We've learned this the hard way after 16 days of plumbing problems on the Noordam.

...In case I ever encounter something that doesn't get taken care of (like no air-conditioning or toilet that doesn't flush) or a situation where I'm getting the runaround from the front desk, what's the official chain of command? I assume that I wouldn't go right to the Hotel Manager or the Guest Relations Manager. Or would I?...

It would seem that if I didn’t get satisfaction in dealing with someone at the front desk (offhand I can’t immediately remember this happening but I can imagine it well might,) I would talk with the supervisor at the front desk.

If this didn’t resolve the situation, then the chain of command would seem to be the Guest Relations Manager next and if still not resolved, then the Hotel Manager.

After over 1,500 cruise days on HAL ships, I don’t believe I’ve ever needed to escalate a problem to the Hotel Manager level.

Scott & Karen

Good luck getting to Guest Relations Manager. I had a really bad situation on one cruise and he was always"in a meeting". As my situation didn't get resolved and I never heard from the GRM who was well protected by the front desk, I planted myself outside the HM's office where we quickly had a resolution. That isn't the way I wanted to handle it, but the situation was bad for health reasons and no one seemed to care.

Good luck getting to Guest Relations Manager. I had a really bad situation on one cruise and he was always"in a meeting". As my situation didn't get resolved and I never heard from the GRM who was well protected by the front desk, I planted myself outside the HM's office where we quickly had a resolution. That isn't the way I wanted to handle it, but the situation was bad for health reasons and no one seemed to care.

That's the thing. It's not like it's super easy to make this happen.

On our last cruise, we resorted to handing letters in to the front desk, addressed to the "Hotel Manager'; not that it did any good. After the previous cruise, a letter to the big boss in Seattle resulted in a letter of apology and a discount, but it didn't prevent the problems happening again on the next cruise. I get the feeling that you can shout and scream all you want, but it will achieve nothing. :rolleyes:

Hotel manager is really easy to find: They have lunch in the Lido. Just find them there and write them a note or talk to them then.

I would not start at 'Hotel Director' level but would start at Guest Relations Manager if Front Office did not accomplish what we needed. Guest Relations Manager is in charge of Front Office.

Write a note to Hotel Manager, put it in a sealed envelope and write his name on the front of the envelope. Bring it to Front Desk (or concierge if in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite) and request prompt delivery of the note.

They would likely not take the chance of not having the note delivered. (If you think they know it is a complaint letter, imply it's a Thank you Note for something nicedthat happened. :D :) )

The Hotel Manager is not likely to ignore you and your note.

Don't write a lengthy message of every detail but give the highlights:

"My toilet has not worked for 2 days.

Front Office has not assisted.

Plumber came once and still no satisifaction.

We need a working toilet.

Please and Thank you."

Be sure you are being reasonable.

Edited by sail7seas

I've found that taking a small noteboook and pen, and making notes about the date/time and person that I spoke with, as well as the gist of the conversation, does wonders in getting problems resolved.

The note-taking sends a subtle but powerful message that if the problem does not get resolved, I do have specifics that can be reported via post cruise survey or letter to Seattle. No employee wants a negative report on their record.

It shouldn't have to come to this, but without that information, you're powerless. The front desk personnel do an excellent job of running interference for the Guest Relations Manager and Hotel Director - I've found that those 2 are rarely available if you want to escalate your unresolved problem.

In defense of the front desk personnel, I think they just get worn down by pax with ridiculous complaints, such as the ship is moving too much (rough weather), the cabin is too noisy in the morning (anchor chain lowering), why are you asking for more money (no credit card registered for on board expenses). These are just a few that angry pax have screamed at front desk personnel, and I was just passing by the desk when I heard those. This has to be one of the most difficult jobs on the ship, but it does make it very frustrating for those pax with legitimate issues.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll never be in a Neptune suite, so I wouldn't ever be able to rely on a concierge. And camping out in the Lido seems a bit of a chore -- Never mind that I, as one person, wouldn't be able to have my eye on every access point to the Lido nor would I know what time the HM would be there (isn't lunch from 11:30 to 2?).

I guess I'll just have to hope that I never have a "situation" that gets to that point!

I've found that taking a small noteboook and pen, and making notes about the date/time and person that I spoke with, as well as the gist of the conversation, does wonders in getting problems resolved.

The note-taking sends a subtle but powerful message that if the problem does not get resolved, I do have specifics that can be reported via post cruise survey or letter to Seattle. No employee wants a negative report on their record.

It shouldn't have to come to this, but without that information, you're powerless. The front desk personnel do an excellent job of running interference for the Guest Relations Manager and Hotel Director - I've found that those 2 are rarely available if you want to escalate your unresolved problem.

In defense of the front desk personnel, I think they just get worn down by pax with ridiculous complaints, such as the ship is moving too much (rough weather), the cabin is too noisy in the morning (anchor chain lowering), why are you asking for more money (no credit card registered for on board expenses). These are just a few that angry pax have screamed at front desk personnel, and I was just passing by the desk when I heard those. This has to be one of the most difficult jobs on the ship, but it does make it very frustrating for those pax with legitimate issues.

Seems like a good idea, the note taking.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll never be in a Neptune suite, so I wouldn't ever be able to rely on a concierge. And camping out in the Lido seems a bit of a chore -- Never mind that I, as one person, wouldn't be able to have my eye on every access point to the Lido nor would I know what time the HM would be there (isn't lunch from 11:30 to 2?).

I guess I'll just have to hope that I never have a "situation" that gets to that point!

Did you see my post #10 in this thread?\\

Why is everyone worrying about fixing a problem that has not yet happened and may not happen? That is a really positive attitude.

DON

I guess that is part of the HAL experience :rolleyes:. We are 7 days out of being 4-star mariners and found out that the 'not solving of problems' is systems related.

They are very capable of fixing about 80% of all problems immediatly.

The other 20%, they are just not able to fix that, not first time around, not the second time, not even the fifth time.

That is caused by the problem being outside of the normal working procedures. And if it's outside the normal procedures, no one is capable of solving it, unless you take it up to the HM, and even then, we've had HMs that really didn't understand what was going on.

E.g. our 16 days of toilet problems on the Noordam. We've had 4 technicians fixing the same thing, unfortunatly, that 'thing' was not the cause of the problem. As they only know to fix the one 'thing', they will never try anyting else, therefore never fixing the problem. That combined with no form of communication between technicians, result in 16 days of problems.

18 HAL cruises, 233 actual cruise days on HAL, 0 times we've needed to go beyond the front office. Either we've had incredibly problem free cruises or some people are escalating complaints that don't need escalated. Now if after 2 or 3 front office contacts nothing was being done about a serious problem (such as very high cabin temperature, ongoing non-working toilet) then I'd probably go to GRM. We have found the front office always pleasant and helpful.

18 HAL cruises, 233 actual cruise days on HAL, 0 times we've needed to go beyond the front office. Either we've had incredibly problem free cruises or some people are escalating complaints that don't need escalated. Now if after 2 or 3 front office contacts nothing was being done about a serious problem (such as very high cabin temperature, ongoing non-working toilet) then I'd probably go to GRM. We have found the front office always pleasant and helpful.

JMHO, but if you have to go to the Front Office 2 or 3 times about a very high cabin temp or an ongoing non-working toilet and nothing has been done, the Front Office has not been at all helpful. :mad:

JMHO, but if you have to go to the Front Office 2 or 3 times about a very high cabin temp or an ongoing non-working toilet and nothing has been done, the Front Office has not been at all helpful. :mad:

I agree. It always appears to me that the front office staff is polite and seemingly helpful, but in truth, it takes more than 2 or 3 trips to the front office to resolve serious issues. My guess is they really don't relay the problem to GRM.

Nothing much can put a damper on our enjoyment on a cruise. Then again, we've never had plumbing issues nor major a/c issues. On one ship...think it was the time we were in an outside on the stern of the Maasdam...and the cabin seemed overly warm. Someone came in and fiddled with it and we were good to go.

I agree that the escalation should be in line with the seriousness of the problem. E.g. a broken lamp in the stateroom when you board the ship does not require escalation. Although I believe the room steward should have reported it and it should have been solved before new passengers board the ship, but that is something else.

A broken toilet is often found out after you need the flush. A broken toilet with number 2 should be solved within 2-3 hours, no matter how busy it is. It's a matter of setting priorities. On the Noordam we would report this at 9AM and be lucky if the technician would have fixed it when we were out to dinner that evening. That, in my opinion is unacceptable.

If lack of ability to solve problems was concentrated to the Noordam, I could believe it to be incidents. As we had similar problems on the Zuiderdam (only 50% of public toilets working at any given time) only 7 months later, it seems to be a HAL wide problem.